Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Lucky Number 7: The New Album Thread
  •      I'm back from the dead! It has certainly been a while since I last posted, really. Anyhoo, I know that they have been performing here and there still, but I can't help but wonder... what is the next album from Alison & Will going to bring? At the moment of this thread's birth, its simply speculation and expressing ideas about what it could be. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Tales of Us era, but honestly it feels almost like its time to shift into the next generation of 'Frapp. So out of curiosity... what do you all think about the next album? Will it be an earthy, dark soundscape? Or will Goldfrapp return to the dancefloor with a high-octane, up-tempo groove? 

I must stress again that an album with a sound similar to the Judas remix would really excite me. 
    Post edited by Slippage at 2015-07-29 15:48:57
  • 205 Comments sorted by
  • I learned being a fan of Goldfrapp for 10 years now that every album from them is a wonderful gift, always refreshing, widening my taste in music.They are great in making me listen to things I wouldn't expect to like and LOVING IT!So for me the change of sound is welcome if not expected.Tales of us was a beautiful journey.
    As Silverjet said in the Roisin Murphy thread I would love Goldfrapp to make experimental jazz album,sort of joyfull yet nostalgic,more melody than traditional jazz,saxes,trumpets,weird sounds,interesting overall concept,white noise electronics,Alison playing with her delicious voice, exploring more&more unheard before by us textures and ranges.

not exactly what I mean but close enough-

An album of original duets would be brilliant too! Collaborations with Roisin Murphy,Agnes Obel,John Grant,Antony Hegarty,Jonna Lee,James Blake -that would be somthing :D !!
    To end without any sense I'm sure I will be very satisfied if they do something completely different :)
  • Crystal Castles broke up. Maybe some fresh blood is what Goldfrapp needs. Imagine Alison singing (Thea or Twist style) amongst a forest of chiptunes and hard, crunchy synths. Then again, they could go the route with their song "Celestica" or "Pale Flesh". Seriously, give them a listen and maybe you'll see why I think recruiting Ethan Kath (or going that route unexpectedly) would be an amazing idea. From noir acoustica to chilling hard electronica. I would give blood if it meant it could fund the band making something like this:

Post edited by Slippage at 2015-01-27 20:53:38
  • This is what I figured would happen. I'd love to hear a Boards of Canada (Tomorrow's Harvest Era) kind of sound, or something with a feel of tribal / exotic dance.

Just please not another Tales of Us sound... unless you count Thea. I wanna get down again!
  • Just as long as they aren't a parody of themselves ever again, I don't care what genre or "hat" they put on.
  • Yes, if they are to continue the pattern, we are to receive a new album this coming year, right??
  • I think after Alison's comment at the RAH, you wont see any new album in 2015 and even 16, but I may be wrong, Tales will be a hard one to top, and I don't want another Head First, so they should take all the time they need.
  • nuwebb said:

I think after Alison's comment at the RAH, you wont see any new album in 2015 and even 16, but I may be wrong, Tales will be a hard one to top, and I don't want another Head First, so they should take all the time they need.

Expected 2015, but why even 2016?

• Through cunning use of scientific method I predict that b-sides compilation will be released 2015-07-21 and 7th album 2017-02-21

I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • i think we may see a full score/soundtrack released from them instead of a traditional album next...

lisa gunning is working on a new film, or something anyway. i kind of have a feeling alison will be involved musically with it. the both of them seem to bounce off each other incredibly well. a creative force indeed.
  • B-Sides, film score, whatever. As long as there is a studio release of sorts I will be happy.

• I'd bet on 2016. Any genre would be good!
    Vainly hoping for a DVD release in 2015

Goldfrapp favour us with a DVD?  Yeah, right.
  • As I accidentally nailed the previous one before it came out (I'd said black&white orchestrated noir mystery, due to what I was hoping for than any insight) I'll not guess on this one yet to avoid spoiling things for you ;)
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

Interesting thought. If it is going to be into 2016/17 before we get another album, a DVD is one way that they could keep us on the hook before a release. When you think about it, there are a number of artistes that have left it too long between albums and when they have released a new album, they have had to virtually start all over again.
    We will still be keeping the faith but a lot of people could get to stage of saying 'Gold who?'
    2017 would make Alison 51; Will 57 :O
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-12-19 15:35:19
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Someone tweeted to Alison a few days ago "can we expect a new album in 2015?" she returned saying "I need to do some writing first". I think she's gonna rest at least til spring or summer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!