Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Lucky Number 7: The New Album Thread
  • 205 Comments sorted by
  • I can't think of any critics supporting their music expect for Allmusic and musicOMH. They're the most underrated band of all times, IMO, next to Cocteau Twins. Alison doesn't seem like an artist that would let herself embarrass her status as a brilliant musician. I mean, don't we all know how much she hates and regrets Head First? I don't think she'd allow a second time. Like iuventus said, look at Kate Bush, talent doesn't have limit or an expiration date. I also agree with Low, I think their diehard time began when Supernature fuss was over. And Seventh Tree and Tales of Us are my favorites respectively. This makes them a cult band, which is cooler really. :)
    Post edited by silverjet at 2014-12-23 20:35:13
  • I remember predicting their last album to be titled "Psychedelic Lesbian Orgy Gangbang"- still waiting to hear that one. Maybe they'll come up with ideas for that in India. Fingers crossed. :)
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • What? "Shiny and Warm" wasn't enough for you?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Is it really ever enough iuv?
    U R I E L
  • Well, I thought that you'd at least be satisfied with all the vazheen imagery.
  • One can never have too much vazheen imagery..although I hear it can cause acute vazheenitis. I don't think it's contagious though. Thank-god.
    U R I E L
  • Not without intimate vazheen-to-vazheen contact. Fortunately, the remedy for an inflamed vazheen is as simple as a dollop of gooseberry & cinnamon yogurt.
  • iuventus said:

Then again, consider Kate Bush.

Well perfect example. The last shows people got most excited by The Ninth Wave. It was more about nostalgia, as she never played any of it live. But it's not like she premiered a new techno duet with Grimes.

It's not a comment on the qualit of the output but really about age. Most people mellow as they age, and most creative people need to mellow for their own health, as they have been going at twice the pace as normal people. So by this time they have found their musical groove. They have no need to try a new sound they have been their and bought the t shirt. It's more about the craft and the songs.

But the music industry is all about the new thing, the new sound, the new Kate Bush, and even at 45 I get excited by new stuff. Not that I don't like established artists but sometimes 2 or 3 albums is enough and anymore is not needed. Unless you are a diehard. And with certain artists I am a diehard but other not as much. With Frapp i am boarder line. Think I over dosed.

Before people give some examples of my theory being wrong, there exceptions. Mark E Smith sounds just as bitter and angry as he did in the 80's and Chris Corner (IAMX) still has a youthful energy to his music. But both those 2 and many other examples have never really mainstream recognition. So maybe they still have something to prove. Also they are both still a bit mad and that takes it's tole, especially in Chris's case.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-12-24 05:24:59
  • Having said that next album may be abit more electronic than tales. I.e utopia. I.e what they know. That's no bad thing :-)
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-12-24 07:36:54
  • I think what happens, as you say, the band members become content, ummm, even bored with life and get stuck in a rut in their music (and life).  They stop exploring.  I don't think that is in the nature of either of our composers.  For Alison, it is most important to continue to discover life, and I feel she is.  She needs to shake loose from encumbrace.  There was a sense from the concert at RAH that she is still exploring the boundaries of life and life is what is most important to the lyrics and her zestful approach.  If she lets herself get droned, it's over, but that doesn't seem to be even a possibility for her.  And I have little doubt that Will will (?) continue to explore musical boundaries.  It's in his nature.  We'll see if they can continue to celebrate their very different aspects of that musical synergy that has awed us all and bring it together into something collosally transcendent.  ToU had a feeling of contentedness and acceptance.  I don't think it will last.  At least, I hope not.  They definitely need to continue with the adventurous zest of life with which they enthralled us all.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-12-24 10:21:42
  • Whickywithy, I know what you mean. I think her trips to exotic places like India or Iceland are about that. To get inspired, widen her horizons. If you look at her Instagram account those are images of life. She's always inspired by nature. She also seems like a person that gets bored easily. I know they won't make the same album twice.
    Post edited by silverjet at 2014-12-24 10:36:14
  • i hope there's lots of Indian influence
  • Or at least a few good curries. Who wants to bet she won't have henna skin art in the next video?A sari? A long train ride?
  • Pet said:

ping said:

Oh that's happy news! Btw, she sure knows where to travel! :)

The worst country in the world, some commentators say, to be a woman.  Maybe that doesn't count the Islamic State but, even so...

Yes, Pet. Have you watched this? I absolutely LOVE this woman-

Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-12-24 15:59:17
    U R I E L
  • Man, what a b****!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!