Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Lucky Number 7: The New Album Thread
  • 205 Comments sorted by
  • Sigh.... Sam Granny Smith.

Not the worst choice, but I would have preferred the Frapp over it, or even Lana Del Rey (who would actually do a brilliant job most likely).
  • You know, in regards to Head First, I think that is Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Madonna or Kylie Minogue had released it in 2010 it would have been hailed as a truly great pop album (which it is)...with the exception of a couple tracks (which are still more than adequate) each song is a perfectly formed gem of neon, 1980's, Abba-esque, synthpop deliciousness.

I believe that because it came from Goldfrapp, that far into their career and at that time (the 80's synthpop throwback had already been brought back into pop music in 2010) it wasn't appreciated for what it was. For the previous decade Goldfrapp had been seen as being ahead of the (pop music) curve, so to speak, and had been releasing beautiful albums full of gorgeous songs with a specific artistic flair. If I recall correctly the majority of the reviews for Head First were good (with a few actually being great). As for the fans, I think we all just expected something more. Something deeper. Something a little more "forward" looking, or at least timeless sounding.

Head First (and Supernature, I know, I know) are my least favorite Goldfrapp albums but I still very much like them and find myself reaching for and enjoying Head First more than Supernature on those days when I need a extra little pep. A bounce in my step. It makes me happy. It makes me smile. I love driving down the Pacific Coast Hiway at sunset in spring or summer with the windows and sunroof open singing at the top of my lungs to Believer, Shiny And Warm, I Wanna Life, Alive or Head First (btw, I have slotted We Radiate into the playlist between Alive and Dreaming and it seems to round out the album and give it a much more complete feeling).

My point is, I do not think Head First is a bad album, or even a particularly weak album. It's actually quite good for what it was (allegedly) supposed to achieve. It's just that we, the fans have come to expect the spectacular, the breathtaking from Goldfrapp and in this instance they just delivered a sweet, if brief, glittery, 80's inspired synthpop album. From any number of other pop stars in 2010 I think it would have been hailed as THE pop album of the year.
  • Yes, this has been said before. Goldfrapp were always ahead of the curve; seen as being innovators that other people followed and imitated. At some point, they slipped behind that curve and were the ones doing the following.
    They are at their best when they do their own, innovative thing. I mean, with a few exceptions, have you heard anything else like Lovely Head? When I first heard it, I thought, WTF???
    Just brilliant.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • They should do sexwitch-like project and do album of obscure in the west cartoon song covers
    For example
    Post edited by LuDux at 2015-10-04 16:43:35
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • My main scenarios/fantasies for what I'd want to see (hear?) them do next:

I'd love a warm, kind of eastern, tribal, asian sounds inspired album. Their Volta, if you will. Some "mantra"ish songs, some sitar, drums, japanese harps? I'm sure they'd be able to do it in a tasteful way, without being appropriative or tacky. Hints for this would be Alison's recent trip to India, that alternative version of Thea.

Or, alternatively, maybe a gritty, noisy, rock-ish, but still very electronic sound. Grinding, aggressive synths and Alison drawing inspiration from witch house for the vocal distortion. Think Crystal Castles, Slippage, Alive (Vampire Mix), their Judas remix. 

A third scenario would be going back to their sultry roots and doing a sexy, jazzy, bossa and maybe Sade inspired type of record. Something a bit cabaret, with a lot of groove and sensuality. Think Human, Pilots, Boys Will Be Boys.
    Post edited by Glitterizer at 2015-10-07 18:09:55
  • My main scenarios/fantasies for what I'd want to see (hear?) them do next:

I'd love a warm, kind of eastern, tribal, asian sounds inspired album. Their Volta, if you will. Some "mantra"ish songs, some sitar, drums, japanese harps? I'm sure they'd be able to do it in a tasteful way, without being appropriative or tacky. Hints for this would be Alison's recent trip to India, that alternative version of Thea.

Or, alternatively, maybe a gritty, noisy, rock-ish, but still very electronic sound. Grinding, aggressive synths and Alison drawing inspiration from witch house for the vocal distortion. Think Crystal Castles, Slippage, Alive (Vampire Mix), their Judas remix. 

A third scenario would be going back to their sultry roots and doing a sexy, jazzy, bossa and maybe Sade inspired type of record. Something a bit cabaret, with a lot of groove and sensuality. Think Human, Pilots, Boys Will Be Boys.

You've read my mind. I can certainly see the first two scenarios being most likely. We all know how she can never stray away from doing albums with a little more octane for too long - and I can't say I blame her. I'd imagine she got a little sleepy and bored after Tales of Us. Sleepy, hazy, dreamlike time is over. Girl's gotta let loose a little ;)

I still say an album that sounds like the Nintendo 64 game Perfect Dark would be perfect for them (the Judas remix is almost exactly this style). 
    Post edited by Slippage at 2015-10-08 17:30:18
  • I'm rather concerned that we may not ever see another recording...

Just a feeling or something you've heard?

No, but we shall hear plenty :)

• Just a feeling or something you've heard?

Just a sense.  If you've ever read "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell, it would fall in that category.  Synergist is the best name I can come up with.  Part of it comes exactly from "something we've heard", which is nothing.
  • Will Gregory on Rad-Mac on BBC 6 Music this afternoon talking primarily about the music of the Gerry Anderson programmes as performed by te Barry Gray Orchestra as Will is staging a concert tonight in Bristol to celebrate this music. He wax asked about the new Goldfrapp album and he said it was going well but they had no timescale they had to work to but we're aiming for next Summer to get it primarily finished. A late Autumn release?
    He was on for 20 minutes so worth finding on listen again.
    http://bbc.in/1NkPskl

From 32.00 to 52.00 min.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-12-01 16:04:41
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Well spotted, UT
  • That's a nice hopeful bit of information for a dreary December evening, UT. Even late Autumn next year seems a bit early for me, considering how much she stressed they were taking their time on it but hey, I'm not complaining.

• Low said:

That's a nice hopeful bit of information for a dreary December evening, UT. Even late Autumn next year seems a bit early for me, considering how much she stressed they were taking their time on it but hey, I'm not complaining.

That's a whole year away...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!