Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Lucky Number 7: The New Album Thread
  • 205 Comments sorted by
  • LuDux said:

How one knows that it's done poorly, if it's "new" and thus without precendents?

It sucks.
  • Has Alison recently mentioned they're in the studio but no new album anytime soon?? Exciting.. but I'm willing wait. I think after Head First they definitely aren't the kind of artistes who work under pressure or against their will...
  • That is correct, ML, concerning Alison's tweet.
  • Bond theme.

PLEASE.

(And yes, I'm aware everyone thinks it is Ellie Goulding for certain, but one can dream!)

If it were to happen, it would be now, given the studio sessions mentioned by Alison (which are allegedly long before any album announcement or mention of any kind. They ARE working on something).
    Post edited by Slippage at 2015-07-29 15:53:09
  • Oh, god, don't get my hopes up, Slippage!
  • Sorry! Can't help but get excited. For them to be hinting at being in the studio, then afterwards saying that an album would be a long ways off (as she stated on Twitter).... I just can't help but wonder what they have in the works. Could very well be that they're in full-on album mode right now, and that it is simply going to take a long time to do. Or, it could be something... extra? Hard to say.

I still think they could be the ones who have done it. Several artists, including Adele, have submitted their versions of the song, apparently. A&W could very well have done the same. That Instagram of Ellie Goulding leaving Abbey Road Studios accompanied with the words, "That's a wrap!" greatly strengthens the chances of her doing the theme, not to mention her royal ties recently, as well as their admiration for Bond.

If Ellie does the theme, I hope she just loses it and screams her lungs out. When she goes loud and powerful, her vocals can be of Bjork quality. Well, more so than usual, anyway!
    Post edited by Slippage at 2015-07-30 00:25:21
  • Slippage said:

Sorry! Can't help but get excited. For them to be hinting at being in the studio, then afterwards saying that an album would be a long ways off (as she stated on Twitter).... I just can't help but wonder what they have in the works. Could very well be that they're in full-on album mode right now, and that it is simply going to take a long time to do. Or, it could be something... extra? Hard to say.

I still think they could be the ones who have done it. Several artists, including Adele, have submitted their versions of the song, apparently. A&W could very well have done the same. That Instagram of Ellie Goulding leaving Abbey Road Studios accompanied with the words, "That's a wrap!" greatly strengthens the chances of her doing the theme, not to mention her royal ties recently, as well as their admiration for Bond.

If Ellie does the theme, I hope she just loses it and screams her lungs out. When she goes loud and powerful, her vocals can be of Bjork quality. Well, more so than usual, anyway!

I'll be the massive spoilsport here and say it's highly unlikely that Goldfrapp are working on/have been selected to provide the next bond theme. I say this not to be a d*ck but to try and not get anyone's hopes up, myself included. In today's world, even something as classic as the concept of a Bond theme is ruled by the popularity aspect. Adele was, and still is, commonly known by the public, as is Ellie Goulding, meaning she is most likely the logical choice. Well, not logical, because her music is not cinematic whatsoever, but you know what I mean.

Of course I'd love Goldfrapp to do it. I've been saying it for years. But Alison's recent tweets about the album being a long way off are probably just indicating that the album is a long way off, they've only returned to the studio. Let's not forget they went straight from Tales of Us to scoring Medea, so obviously they needed a break and have only just begun work.

If there is any reason why I'm definitely wrong, please, please say, because I desperately hope I am. A Goldfrapp bond score would be worth the ticket price alone.

• Maybe as producers/co-writers?
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Talking of being patient, it could be worse. A band closely associated with Goldfrapp as friends, and with many musical similarities is Portishead. 'Dummy' was released in 1994. In 1997 they released 'Portishead', then in 2008, 'Third'. That's 3 albums in 21 years, or an album every 7 years.
    With 6 albums in 14 years, to Portishead fans, Goldfrapp appear positively profligate !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I've a feeling this one is going to be about houses.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Low said:

Slippage said:

I'll be the massive spoilsport here and say it's highly unlikely that Goldfrapp are working on/have been selected to provide the next bond theme. I say this not to be a d*ck but to try and not get anyone's hopes up, myself included. In today's world, even something as classic as the concept of a Bond theme is ruled by the popularity aspect. Adele was, and still is, commonly known by the public, as is Ellie Goulding, meaning she is most likely the logical choice. Well, not logical, because her music is not cinematic whatsoever, but you know what I mean.

Of course I'd love Goldfrapp to do it. I've been saying it for years. But Alison's recent tweets about the album being a long way off are probably just indicating that the album is a long way off, they've only returned to the studio. Let's not forget they went straight from Tales of Us to scoring Medea, so obviously they needed a break and have only just begun work.

If there is any reason why I'm definitely wrong, please, please say, because I desperately hope I am. A Goldfrapp bond score would be worth the ticket price alone.

I had completely forgotten about Medea! Perhaps they haven't had much time for extra projects, then. I suppose we will find out soon enough, considering the Bond team insists that we don't have long to wait.

And while we're discussing potential candidates for the theme... why the hell hasn't Stevie Nicks done one yet? I'm utterly shellshocked that she hasn't. I mean, we had Tina Turner and Madonna. Come on!
  • Given the Gsldfrapp could write what would likely become the best (maybe not most successful) Bond song since the 70's IN THEIR SLEEP I would love to see this happen but scarily enough, and as was mentioned by others, the process is highly political and artists are primarily chosen for the cross-branding potential.
  • Hopes of any Bond theme soon have now been dashed...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!