Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 622 Comments sorted by
  • @Appy61. You are someone famous !
    It was a brilliant gig. Small, intimate venue. There were about 10 small round tables at the front with 4 or 5 chairs around them and we occupied one on the left. We eventually found we were sitting with Mara's Mum and uncles/aunts and cousins. As Appy says, Laura was quirky and at the same time fresh. She demonstrated her virtuosity at one point by playing 12 bars or so of the original classical piece she had based one of her song on, and then launching in to her highly individual way of playing George. Every part of George was utilised in the playing, along with some very expressive vocals, pops and noises. We dubed it 'punk cello' when we spoke to her later.
    Mara was her normal, self depreciating self. Seemingly random but always capable of delivering a uncannily beautiful and expressive vocal; as pure as crystal and controlled. At RAH, it was concerns about a possible VPL, here it was her frock and the fact that when she sat to play the saw, she couldn't help but expose her legs.
    A master class of vocal technique and a thoroughly enjoyable gig. What live music is all about. A mention of her band as well. A double bass, accordion, Viola da Gamba and piano on some of the songs, played by highly proficient musicians.
    All round a great night. Met her afterwards, chatted and she signed a poster we had lifted from a display.
    Try this Robert Plant cover !

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • A couple of pics from last night.

imageimage
    Post edited by Appy61 at 2015-05-23 17:39:45
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • A bit left field but 'Just Jim Dale' at the Vaudeville Theatre tonight. - Hereabout's or thereabout's - "Or layabouts!"
  • Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-06-06 10:41:31
  • Jim Dale was excellent last night. Famous to Brits from the Carry On series of films, and to Americans as the voice of Harry Potter in the audio books.
    The evening raised a notch in excitement prior to the start when a tall man with a large grey perm entered the auditorium with his elegant partner and sat at the end of a row not 10 seats from us. Only Brian May and Anita Dobson ! Tie your Mother Down !
  • Vaudeville Theatre?  Really?  How cool!

Did you know that Brian May was an astrophysicist?  He got his degree about a decade ago.  What an interesting guy.  Sounds like he ran a college, as well?!?!
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-06-07 06:31:12
  • Learnt something I never knew on the Jim Dale trip. I had only ever conceived Jim as an actor; particularly in Carry On films. What a surprise to discover he is much more than that. Actor, Comedian, Dancer, Tightrope walker ( in Barnum) pop singer (1st recording act signed by Sir George Martin) and songwriter!
    He wrote the lyrics for, amongst others, 'Dick a dum dum (Kings Road)', which was a hit for Des O Conner, and with Tom Springfield, who wrote the music, wrote the lyrics for ' Georgy Girl' , which was a huge hit for the Seekers in 1966, was featured in the film of the same name, and has been voted No 36 on Rolling Stones list of the 500 greatest pop songs of all time.
    Respect !

• There are now three gig reviews on my website:

Take a look!
  • One of the Aurora Aksnes photos from my most recent gig review:

• Stretching this concept, but on the basis that the whole of life is a gig; the Appy's and I are at Spa Francochamps this week-end for the Grand Prix. Mrs T's being a mardy boots and is at home with the dog.
    Watch it on BBC1. Who knows, you may see us ! :ar!
  • Anna Calvi at Queen Elizabeth Hall,Southbank last night.
    Absolutely sublime, beautiful evening and performance it was. Every time I see her she just gets better. Fabulous guitar playing. Wonderful evening complete by sharing this with a fellow Frapper :x
  • Anna Calvi at Queen Elizabeth Hall,Southbank last night.
    Absolutely sublime, beautiful evening and performance it was. Every time I see her she just gets better. Fabulous guitar playing. Wonderful evening complete by sharing this with a fellow Frapper :x

B.B. H.B. ?
  • ^
    BB????
  • When I first met you (in those fruit salad days) d id you not have a fellow frapper with you whose board name was BB, as opposed to Kate who is a smaller version called LB?
  • When I first met you (in those fruit salad days) d id you not have a fellow frapper with you whose board name was BB, as opposed to Kate who is a smaller version called LB?

Oh I get you now. No not Big Bird. I went with Drew who doesn't frequent this board much now people have moved to FB and Twitter.
    Oh the fruit salads, yummy :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!