Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 529 Comments sorted by
  • Do you have a particular Madonna forum you would suggest, Slippage?
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-07-01 20:22:15
  • You need to think of this like Ham radio

It was never this dead on GMB.  I'm wondering if ToU turned some people off, maybe.
  • Do you have a particular Madonna forum you would suggest, Slippage?

The one on the official site is quite good (under "community"). I believe you need to be an Icon member to access it, though. Only reason I did pay was because it gave me pre-sale access to tickets for her tour when it hits Toronto.

I'd imagine there are other, free forum sites out there, possibly drownedmadonna or madonnalicious.
  •  I'm wondering if ToU turned some people off, maybe.

This. Exactly this.

Hoping they do something with a little more... octane, this time around. I absolutely adored ToU, but quite honestly nobody makes electro-dance music like the almighty 'Frapp.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2015-07-01 20:35:38
  • It was never this dead on GMB.  I'm wondering if ToU turned some people off, maybe.

Personally, I liked Goldfrapp's first four albums.  But I hated "Head First".  While I don't hate "Tales of Us", I haven't been able to muster any enthusiasm for it.  If 
    "Head First" was "yuck!", "Tales of Us", as far as I'm concerned, was 'meh'.  I'm inclined to think that Goldfrapp should have quit while they were ahead -- after "Seventh Tree".  Intimations of a seventh album arouse no great interest in me.  Of course, it may turn out to be good, one never knows -- but my expectations are low and I think, more likely than not, I won't bother to buy it.  I wish I hadn't bought either "Head First" (long since given to a charity shop) or "Tales of Us" (still in my possession, although I don't expect to play it again).

Maybe I'm an ex-Goldfrapp fan, and if I post here it's not because of Goldfrapp's output in recent years.
  • On faults with this site, I notice that I quoted Whickwithy in my last post, but the quote is attributed to Urban Tribesman.  I have the impression that the people on the IT design side of this forum (if there are any) don't care about it.
  • Slippage said:

nobody makes electro-dance music like the almighty 'Frapp.

Ha!  That.  Exactly that! 

What I like about chill/electro-dance is that it has subtle power.  It's not completely asleep like some music and, yet, it's not manic-driven power.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-07-02 07:04:32
  • Pet said:

the people on the IT design side of this forum (if there are any) don't care about it.

The way I understand it, from one of the very first coversations, is there is no IT guy.  There is a guy who has another job and cobbled this together in his spare time.  Thanks for that.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-07-02 07:06:23
  • I've got one last jab (well, maybe not the last) concerning this site.  When we all first moved over here, there were some people that turned their noses up at some of the stuff that was going on here and pissed me off so bad I couldn't see straight.  The bashing, sometimes subtle, sometimes not, was extremely offensive to me, as was the better-than-thou bullshit.  At least that seems to be mostly gone.  Thank goodness.

Alot of people were absolutely overjoyed to have a new playhouse.  Too bad it crumbled so. 

• I've got one last jab (well, maybe not the last) concerning this site.  When we all first moved over here, there were some people that turned their noses up at some of the stuff that was going on here and pissed me off so bad I couldn't see straight.  The bashing, sometimes subtle, sometimes not, was extremely offensive to me, as was the better-than-thou bullshit.  At least that seems to be mostly gone.  Thank goodness.

Alot of people were absolutely overjoyed to have a new playhouse.  Too bad it crumbled so. 

I think part of the reason that it's gone, is that the people who were causing it are now gone too.

• Yeah, I think that too Low. I am still a newbie as I was never on the old GMB, so cannot comment on its pros and cons but I have seen Some of what appears to be 'I'm a better Goldfrapp fan than you' comments here in the past and 'I'm in the know and you are not' but, honestly, you get that on every forum like this and every club you ever want to join. There are always people who want to be seen as the originals and, therefore, the ones who's say should carry the most impact. Perhaps they are the ones who have left. Perhaps the new 'funhouse' opened the door up to others and the originals decided to pick up their bats and start a new gang elsewhere.
    It's a free country.
    I am interested in Pet's comment above about not being overly fond of recent GF fare but he still visits the forum. This kind of nails the thought that others have left for the same reason. If this was the case, Pet would not still be here. The forum is still populated with people who like Goldfrapp, and Alison and Will and all they do; still like the old albums and like to chat about it and all the other myriad of issues that surround us as humans; hopefully waiting for the next, possibly killer Goldfrapp album and tour.
    What would stop Pet, and I guess other people from darkening these doors, is a decent to banality in the comments posted here. If you want that, go to the One Direction forum.
    I trust I have not misjudged you Peter?
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-07-02 10:37:02
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • As for the vagaries of posting on this site, we are the product of millions of years of selected genetic blending to get here and a few hiccups in some sloppy programming on the GMB is the least of our problems. Accept it as the challenge it is !
    Years ago, we did this all, by post you know!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Not liking Goldfrapp's then current output didn't deter people from posting to the old GMB.  I recall, for example, a thread titled "Supernature Supersucks".

As to One Direction, I don't know whether they have a forum or -- if they do -- what sort of things people post to it.  For all I know to the contrary, there might be threads worth reading.  Indeed, never (to my knowledge) having heard a One Direction song, they might be excellent.  But I doubt it.

My main reason for returning to this forum a couple days ago was to alert Ponygurl to the 1938-39 Nancy Drew films which (I suspect) she would enjoy very much.
  • Pet said:

My main reason for returning to this forum a couple days ago was to alert Ponygurl to the 1938-39 Nancy Drew films which (I suspect) she would enjoy very much.

Which is exactly the reason I still like coming here. Even if you aren't really a fan of Goldfrapp, there are still plenty of good threads on this site that cater to a lot of tastes. There's a lot of information on here that would take so much longer to individually find across the internet but instead it's all compiled on here. Also the added benefit of having the opinions and insight of some decent and intelligent people. As bizarre as it may sound, this is my internet safe place. No trolls, no hatred, no photos or videos of Kanye West... sometimes it's a great place to be.

But taking Urban_Tribesman's point about the "I'm in the know and you are not" thing into consideration... I've only really noticed my posts being responded to or appreciated in recent times, e.g when it seems to have emptied. It might just be people clinging on to any conversation they can find here, but when I used to post back in the old GMB, a lot of it went ignored. 
    Maybe it might've been for the best because I can't exactly remember what I posted (it was a few years ago after all), but it would've been nice to actually get replied to once in a while. It really seemed like it was the same group of people that got to do the conversing back then, and it was much tougher for anyone relatively new to get noticed. That said, I was on there for 3 years before it was closed.

I think that's the longest post I've ever made on here but I thought I might as well take the time now that we're talking about it. While it's a shame that the frequenters of this forum have more than halved, it's also a relief in a way, because those of you who are left seem to take the time to reply and not, you know, start any unwanted s**t.
    Post edited by Low at 2015-07-02 11:56:35

• That's an interesting point, Low, concerning ignored posts.  That used to happen on this new site alot as well.  Still does, I guess.

And, yes, I agree.  The reason the vituperativeness is gone is because the people are gone.  But, the funny thing is that the same people were not so vituperative on the old site.  It was like everyone felt the need to establish some rules or something.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!