Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 529 Comments sorted by
  • Maybe you're right, Low.  But, I really think that something changed drastically between the old GMB and this one.  And, that change is the site itself.  Weird to think that the site has an effect on the conversation but I think it's true.

I think you're right.  I've never really liked this replacement forum.
  • I wonder if some of the members found it offensive that they just didn't care that much about the community dedicated to Goldfrapp as to take the time and effort to make the site better or, at least, comparable.  If so, I can relate.  It's like their fans don't matter to them.
  • The "invitation only" system surely must be a big factor. It puts a significant barrier in the way of anyone new who thinks' "Well, I'll just drop in and see what it's like" . And the general useability is clearly more crap. Didn't we say that the new site should have been designed by our resident Goldfrapmaniac? 
  • I don't know whether this means anything much, but I was just looking at my profile.  It says that I've made 509 visits to the forum, and posted 1,020 times.  That averages almost exactly two posts per visit.  I have a feeling that I used to post more times per visit on the old GMB.
  • whisperit said:

Didn't we say that the new site should have been designed by our resident Goldfrapmaniac? 

Sad but true.  I know he (Paolo? I believe) even offered.
  • You can visit the site and look at the content without being a member, you just cannot post.
    I wasn't here on the old board but from what I have read from those that were, it was a bit of a Wild West environment and was eventually overwhelmed by spam and hackers so had to change. In a nutshell, you reap what you sow!
    There were 21 posts on here tonight, which was good. Most for a long time as I try to pop on every 24 hours.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Yes, UT, the old GMB was flooded with spam.

That could have been simply fixed; I suspect the GF crew got seduced by IT "creatives" who wanted to sell the latest tricksy "functionality" without thinking about the users.
  • So..... nobody missed me?!? 

:-S
    Post edited by Slippage at 2015-07-01 15:43:39
  • Of course we did.  It's just that so many are missing nowadays, it's useless to identify them all.

Love that emoticon.  Is that in the normal list here.  I makes me think of the one that I have never been able to find: chagrin.
  • Slippage said:

So..... nobody missed me?!? 

:-S

We miss everyone S. There's been a lot of talk recently here about why people are missing and is it a reflection of general apathy in the board, it's workings and content.
    Welcome back. The more, the merrier!
  • Is there a way for someone to request an invitation through this site?  I'm not sure that's the problem but it could be compounding it.
  • I got on by tracking HJ down as you can find his email if you look hard enough without being logged in to the board.
    @HJ. Could you put something on that opening page to explain to potential newbies how they 'get on the list'?
  • Just checked @HJ. There is the explanation in the Frequently Asked Questions page at the front of the site, but you do need to be pretty cute to find an email address and yours is the only real obvious one I could find, especially with Carpy not so common in the board these days.
    If we want newbies to come on, could initial contact be displayed more obviously?
  • Wow, it has been pretty quiet on here - I had been busy on Madonna's forums lately and hadn't come here often due to the lack of anything new going on (which I'm sure is the main culprit - we've been in "waiting for new album mode" for a couple years now). It's been quieter on here than I anticipated.
  • Counting back tonight, there has been approx. 40 posts, which is the most I have counted in a 24 hour period for some time.
    You need to think of this like Ham radio, with different operators around the globe tuning in and seeing whose out there to talk to. It's just that most on here have a particular interest in Frapp radio !l
    An album is coming and then a tour most likely. It could be 18 months or more in the gestation, but if you want this network of like minded people to be there to share those times with, then someone has to keep the place watertight and dust occasionally to keep it ready for the other family to return.
    Remember those Spartans at the gate. That's us.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!