Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 353 Comments sorted by
  • Seemed a very great guy.
  • I enjoyed Star Trek as a child. I still do. If you leave out the ever present death; especially if you wore a red shirt, then the sentiment of a United population on Earth, with equality for all and no poverty and hunger is an ideal we should all strive for.
    Have been watching 'Enterprise' recently. T'pol is a fine looking Vulcan. Interestingly, when this series is set, in 2151-2061, inter species breeding between Vulcans and any other species has not happened and is an appealing thought to all Vulcans as they believe it would pollute their genome. Of course, Spock, whose life we pick up on in the year 2265 has a Vulcan Father ( Sarek) and a Terran mother (Amanda Grayson) so someone had a change of heart !
    I also find it interesting in that when 'Enterprise' is set, T'pol is 63 years old.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Oh blimey......are you a closet Trek-convention anorak UT?! :-j

By the way....has no one spotted this emoticon?!! :)>-

It sort of works......
  • Well, depends. Have never been to a Trek convention, but I did see the first episode of Trek when it was shown in the UK in 1969. Have been a fan of the whole Trek universe ever since really. In them days of wobbly Dr Who sets, ST was a marvel with high production values that just sucked kids like me in.
    I have seen a lot of Trek. My nickname from Appy is Sheldon !
    LLAP Kat and Cath.
  • When I think of Leonard Nemoy, Star Trek isn't the first thing to come to mind.  Rather, I think of his part in The Bangles' Going Down to Liverpool video.

• That's pretty cool, Pet.  Never saw it before.
  • That's pretty cool, Pet.  Never saw it before.

It is cool.  I'm surprised that you don't know the video.  It's included in this DVD:

My Amazon review of the DVD mentions Leonard Nimoy:

• Here's the text of my Amazon review:

I own a lot of DVDs and there are (at most) three or four that I play more often than this one (all of them music DVDs). The content is the same as a VHS tape I once owned, and I was extremely pleased to find it on DVD (and thus in a form I could still play). It has the advantage over a tape that one can go straight to a favourite video, or skip a track... although, generally, I play this DVD straight through (which I don't usually with music DVDs).

It comprises the videos for nine Bangles' songs. In this order:

1. Hero Takes a Fall
    2. Going Down to Liverpool
    3. Manic Monday
    4. If She Knew What She Wants
    5. Walk Like an Egyptian
    6. Walking Down Your Street
    7. In Your Room
    8. Eternal Flame
    9. Be With You

Of those, my favourite video is In Your Room.

A couple of the videos feature guest stars. One is Leonard Nimoy in Going Down to Liverpool. He's driving a car with the Bangles as passengers. The song is on the radio which, after a while, he switches off. Michael Steele leans forward from the back seat to switch it back on. The other guest star is Little Richard in Walking Down Your Street. The Bangles win a competition (best neighbourhood band -- The Love Beats) to open for Little Richard. They arrive at the venue after a long drive and are a big hit with the audience. Little Richard is displeased: perhaps because they're so popular, maybe because they're over-running, or possibly both. He signals them to stop (slicing his throat with his hand) but the Bangles play on. Both guest stars show themselves to be good sports in agreeing to play rather sour roles.

The DVD has a running time of just over half an hour (it says 35 minutes on the box, and I can believe that) which is not very long by the standards of DVDs. On the other hand, if I have about half an hour to spare, and wish to relax with excellent music and some enchanting visuals, this disc fits the bill perfectly. And 35 minutes of material you'll play repeatedly is a lot better value for money than three hours you'll play only once.
  • I'd forgotten about his appearance with the Bangles... cool :-) Of course, he also did this trippy song/video:

• I don't know why, but I get the feeling all those dancers are virgins; except the blonde with the bob that goes head to head with LN in the middle. She looks as those she is about to get Vulcanised in her Hobbit Hole.
  • Never been much into music videos.  Kinda cool, though, watching these I can tell that HTTP2 is being used already.  Really fast download.  I've never been able to watch above 240 bps before.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-02-28 12:54:39
  • Have enjoyed his books probably more than anyone else's. RIP Terry Pratchett.
  • Very sad about Terry. Brave fight with Altzheimers and faced with dignity RIP
  • Oh, no! My idol!

*thud!*
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Daevid Allen - founder of Gong

Here's the dementedly wonderful  Camembert Electrique, an album I might take with me when I go

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!