Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Lucky Number 7: The New Album Thread
  • 205 Comments sorted by
  • That is one of the most fascinating things about Goldfrapp, for me.  The polarization of the lyrics that are often sad or downright angry fused with music that is so light-hearted.  "Happiness" is a perfect example.  Such light, happy music combined with some pretty cynical lyrics.  I have a theory that guys often never get past the chorus while women can often tell you every word in a song.  I swear, in my case, I sometimes try so very hard to listen to the lyrics and.....it lasts about two nanoseconds.  "Uuuuu, pretty tree!"  "I wonder what's the temperature tomorrow?" often followed by, "Oh damn!  I was going to listen to the lyrics!"
  • ^ haha. I know what you mean about happiness.
  • @Sartori. Another kitten goes to heaven !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I know what you guys mean. Alison thought the last vocal part in Eat Yourself was optimistic, I was like "WHAT?! :S", I'm left incredibly depressed everytime I listen to that part. I think Seventh Tree is a very depressed album that looks like it's happy and optimistic. I think even Happiness is quite dark. A&E is about a suicide attempt. Road to Somewhere and Eat Yourself are two very sad ballads. I congratulate anyone feeling happy after listening to it. :D
    Post edited by silverjet at 2015-01-13 14:00:17
  • ping said:

Low said:

To me, Seventh Tree was their happy album. Well, at least it leaves me feeling happier at the end than most of the others. 

funny isn't it how people take different things from the same thing? i've always thought 7T is quite sad, lyrically and in places musically, (certainly tracks like clowns, road to somewhere, eat yourself, some people, cologne cerrone houdini and monster love) maybe it says more about me?!  :O

Don't get me wrong, on certain days Eat Yourself and Some People can rip my heart out. But on a sunny day, listening to Monster Love off the back of Caravan Girl, it always leaves me feeling really cheered up. Maybe I just have a big soft spot for the album.

• caravan girl is always uplifting when they play it live i think. its a great album.
  • silverjet said:

I congratulate anyone feeling happy after listening to it. :D

There's a trick: don't listen to the lyrics too closely.
  • silverjet said:

I congratulate anyone feeling happy after listening to it. :D

There's a trick: don't listen to the lyrics too closely.

Very hard for someone whose user name is "silverjet". Hahaha :D :S
    Post edited by silverjet at 2015-01-13 18:18:43
  • ping said:

caravan girl is always uplifting when they play it live i think. its a great album.

Yes. That is the only positive guy standing. But Alison said it's about a girl suffering from amnesia. :S
    Post edited by silverjet at 2015-01-13 18:29:05
  • Yeah lyrically it's not so chipper.
  • silverjet said:

Very hard for someone whose user name is "silverjet".

Sorry, I'm a bit slow, as usual.  I don't see the connection between silverjet and listening to lyrics.  Mmmm, is it implying something like "quick on the uptake"?  If so, no wonder I don't get it....read first sentence.  :)
  • silverjet said:

Very hard for someone whose user name is "silverjet".

Sorry, I'm a bit slow, as usual.  I don't see the connection between silverjet and listening to lyrics.  Mmmm, is it implying something like "quick on the uptake"?  If so, no wonder I don't get it....read first sentence.  :)

Yes yes. I'm immensely interested and affected by in the lyrics. I like Lovely 2 C U %60 for its lyrics. It's mostly how I feel about life. Everybody hates that beautiful song. :/
  • Ponygurl said:

Pet said:

ping said:

Oh that's happy news! Btw, she sure knows where to travel! :)

The worst country in the world, some commentators say, to be a woman.  Maybe that doesn't count the Islamic State but, even so...

Yes, Pet. Have you watched this? I absolutely LOVE this woman-

No, I hadn't seen that.  Thank you Ponygurl.  It's what I was talking about.
  • silverjet said:

Yes yes. I'm immensely interested and affected by in the lyrics. I like Lovely 2 C U %60 for its lyrics. It's mostly how I feel about life. Everybody hates that beautiful song. :/

Yeah, a true celebration as life should be.  Now, that is definitely a happy song, lyrics and all!  I like it a lot, as you might be able to guess.  But, still, I don't know why, but listening to the lyrics is really difficult for me.  I've made great strides in the past few years, though, in that, I can concentrate enough, if I really feel the need, to be able to understand what the lyrics are saying.  Funny, you know, for some reason, Jimi Hendrix's songs were always easy for me to follow the lyrics right through and they always resonated with me.  Now, that was a tangent!  Random mind, I guess.  Maybe that, alone, explains why I have such a hard time following lyrics.
  • I read that music and language are processed in opposite hemispheres of the brain.  Song lyrics are apparently handled by the music hemisphere, which can't make it any easier to follow them as language.

My source for this Anthony Storr: Music and the Mind.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!