Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Lucky Number 7: The New Album Thread
  • 205 Comments sorted by
  • I'm hoping they get back to what I would call their Chill roots.  My description of Chill is music that feels kinda mellow, relaxed, easy-going, but has a tremendous hidden power, kinda like waves or, better yet, solitons.  Some examples might be just about anything off of Black Cherry or Felt Mountain but, specifically, 'Hairy Trees", "Strict Machine", "Crystalline Green", "Pilots", "Lovely Head", "Road to Somewhere", "A&E", "Satin Chic", well, you get the idea.   Some with the most powerful undercurrents, though, are "Black Cherry", "Deep Honey", "Human", "Utopia", "Cologne Cerrone Houdini".  The quintessential of it, though, is probably, "Thea".  Just stirring in such a powerful way, like your heart is dying to burst.  Sadly, for me, there wasn't nearly enough of that on ToU.  Seemed kinda watered down.  "Thea" alone just about made up for it, though.

By the way, I decided to look up soliton just to make sure I had the right word. Oh yeah.  "wave  that propagates with little loss of energy and retains its shape and speed even after colliding with another such wave".  Even when the other wave is your emotions.  So powerful, yet so hidden that it gives one .... chills...so to speak.

I doubt we'll see something for a couple of years, at least.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-12-19 19:42:22
  • A return to a more mature and classic sound was inevitable after Head First, I suppose. What comes now though I really have no idea. It really could be anything.

UPDATE: From 6 Music's twitter: "Alison back in the studio next year & "trying new things". Be listening Boxing Day"
    Post edited by Low at 2014-12-22 07:16:04

• Oh, go on then - I'm drawn back into aimed speculation.

I'd like Will to lead on this one.
    Less formal.
    Old-school synthy without being overly dancey.
    Alison and Moog duets.
    Introspective and self-indulgent.

There. That's my crystal ball engaged.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I think album number 7 should be called "8". Total mind fuck :P
  • I think album number 7 should be called "8". Total mind fuck :P

Pitchfork: "Why?"

Goldfrapp: "Because 9 8 7"
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • It should be named to accurately predict Pitchfork's next score. Probably something below a 6, because they're bad people.

• Hahaha loving this Pitchfork hate awareness. Next album's special thanks: "Alison and Will would like to thank all the folks at Pitchfork Media for being total douchebags. :D :D
    Post edited by silverjet at 2014-12-23 10:49:18

• I'd like Will to lead on this one.

What do you mean by that? Will hates his singing voice and says can't write good lyrics. Or do you wanna see him on the cover or smth? :D
  • She said on 6music - off to India over new year then back in the studio for some writing! 2016 my bet.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Oh that's happy news! Btw, she sure knows where to travel! :)

• Alison and Moog duets.

some more moog action would be good.
  • ping said:

Oh that's happy news! Btw, she sure knows where to travel! :)

The worst country in the world, some commentators say, to be a woman.  Maybe that doesn't count the Islamic State but, even so...
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-12-23 16:30:02
  • I think Goldfrapp's period of being new and unique has gone. I think all great bands have their breakthrough moment and then they have their period of success, but then it will either end in embarassment or a quiet look back at their back catalogue until retirement. To try and do it again never works. Look at Bowie. So I think they will happily trend the Tales/soundtrack feel for a few more years and although it will be of a brilliant quality the critics will lose interest and they will just play for their diehards.
  • Then again, consider Kate Bush.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I feel like their diehard time has already begun. And this diehard, for one, is already excited at the idea of a 2016 release.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!