Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • The Twin Peaks super-duper jumbo deluxe thingy was released a couple days ago, and mine has just arrived. :-)

Despite loving the series (I watched it when first shown)... I'd not bothered buying it on the various formats... until now.

This package was £50 and has 10 blu-ray disks which include the 2 series plus the film (including many deleted scenes) and... well, I've not looked properly yet at the extras... give me time!

Interesting packaging, with each disk in a slotted card with picture. The cards/disks are all hinged, so they flip-up... a bit like a calendar. Oh and there was a piece of paper in a slot right at the bottom... with "Fire - walk with me" scrawled on it. Here is a photo... featuring a rather Frappy deer.

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-01 09:36:15
  • 46 Comments sorted by
  • Picked the set up too, the fact you can touch Laura's face and even feel the tiny pebbles on it is both eerie and very cool. I've seen it all before so i dove into the new stuff first, The Missing Pieces is a great side piece to the movie and the movie itself looks beautiful in its newly remastered transfer (although if you've never seen the series you shouldn't by any means watch the movie or The Missing Pieces before you've seen the series). Between Two Worlds (something else you shouldn't watch before having seen the series) isn't quite what i thought it was going to be honestly, too little new topics of discussion, although it was pretty amazing to see Ray, Grace, and Sheryl sink back into their characters so well. I haven't dove into the rest yet, it's a very nice set and like you i hadn't owned the series, this is my third Blu of the movie though, so pretty worth the price to me :) I like the blue motif too, it matches my little Laura Bearbrick figure

Post edited by rewak at 2014-08-02 01:58:24
  • Had to go and pick my box up from the sorting office so as yet unopened but will be having a box set binge on it for sure.

I've not seen any of it a second time since watching it on TV first time round so it's going to be fun getting reacquainted again!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I home-recorded the 1st series (remember VHS tapes?) but hadn't watched those since the mid 90s... so I have also started from the very beginning again.

The pilot episode is so deliciously loopy! I'd forgotten about characters like the drape-obsessed Nadine and "new shoes" Leo. Some formidable female eye-candy too, of course: Sheryl Lee, Sherilyn Fenn, Madchen Amick, Lara Flynn Boyle, Peggy Lipton and more!

Oh, there's an alternative ("international") pilot which I didn't even know existed. It's identical for the first 1hr 34m but then they've bolted on an extra (rather disjointed) 15 minutes in which they resolve the killer's identity. And in a totally different way to what/who we see in the series-proper. Very bizarre, and only done so as to have something which worked like a self-contained film, I guess.

Rewak - I hadn't even noticed the 3D surface of the box/picture. Ta for pointing that out! :-)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-04 13:19:49
  • David Lynch being a tease and tweeting: "Dear Twitter Friends: That gum you like is going to come back in style! #damngoodcoffee".

Co-writer Mark Frost tweeted the same thing at the same time...
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-10-03 14:26:36
  • Is the show Gracepoint (UK Broadchurch) just a new Twin Peaks focused on a mainstream audience?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I've been wondering whether to get this.  One thing that makes me hesitate is that I already have both series (the second series in a Dutch edition) plus the film on DVD.  Do I really need the Blu-ray boxed set?  Additionally, I've been put off by reviewers reporting that some of the sound and picture is out of synch.
  • iuventus said:

Is the show Gracepoint (UK Broadchurch) just a new Twin Peaks focused on a mainstream audience?

I never saw Broadchurch and have only heard brief overviews of Gracepoint, so I'm not sure about this. Anyone else?
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-10-05 12:01:21
  • Pet said:

I've been wondering whether to get this.  One thing that makes me hesitate is that I already have both series (the second series in a Dutch edition) plus the film on DVD.  Do I really need the Blu-ray boxed set?  Additionally, I've been put off by reviewers reporting that some of the sound and picture is out of synch.

I also heard some folk say they had out-of-synch issues. But I didn't notice any at all. Someone said newer Blu-ray players might not exhibit the problem... mine is quite new, so there might be something in that.

There are lots of interesting interviews with cast and crew.. scattered over the 10 discs... probably the best being the ones where David Lynch talks to Ray (Leland), Grace (Sarah) and Sheryl (Laura) - made as recently as summer of this year. Oh, and also ones from this year (EDIT: Oops, this one was 2007) with Kyle (Dale) and Madchen (Shelley). The latter looking even gorgeouser than in 1991! :-) That featurette is called 'A slice of Lynch'.

And the deleted/extended scenes from the film? Most are interesting, some are kinda dull. Fun to watch them once or twice, but there's no real game-changer as far as I'm concerned.

I personally did not own either of the series or the film, so this was an ideal opportunity to get everything from the Twin Peaks world - in one hit. :-) But for you, Peter... I don't think you'd feel the £50 would be justified... essentially just for the interviews and deleted scenes. On the other hand, if you have a spare nifty in your pocket, it is a beautiful package, and you'd get top-quality copies of S1, S2 + film. (Do you have an HD TV?)

As for my opinions of the series & film - 23 years on... I feel pretty much the same as I did back then:

Series 1: 9/10 - dared to go where no other TV show had gone before. Ground-breaking
    Series 2: 4/10 - after Laura's killer revealed, took a massive nose-dive IMHO
    Film: 6/10 - great performances but as DL says... it has zero humour. It's just too bleak for me
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-10-06 11:29:02
  • Thank you very much for that, Elliot.  It's very helpful.

I bought a Blu-ray player for about £50 a little while ago in anticipation of the release of the Batman TV show on Blu-ray.

Our television isn't really HD, though.  It has HDMI sockets, and a Blu-ray picture looks looks marginally better than a DVD one, but isn't actually HD.  When the television dies, I suppose that its replacement will be HD -- but there seems no hurry to replace it.

I sold some comics recently and one of the things I bought on the proceeds was a £70 Blu-ray player -- so I now have two Blu-ray players.  The reason I bought the second player is that it's all region for DVDs (but Region B for Blu-ray, which isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned).

My DVD of the Twin Peaks film includes the trailer and a featurette, but no deleted scenes.

One reason I thought of buying the Twin Peaks Blu-ray boxed set was that, at £50, it seems very reasonably priced.  If I decide to buy it later, it could easily have gone up.  But is that a good reason to buy something that (for the most part) I already own?  It would be so much easier to decide if I hadn't bought Twin Peaks on DVD.
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-10-06 07:49:18
  • David Lynch being a tease and tweeting: "Dear Twitter Friends: That gum you like is going to come back in style! #damngoodcoffee".

Co-writer Mark Frost tweeted the same thing at the same time...

As Agent Cooper himself says:-

"When two separate events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry we must always pay strict attention!"
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2014-10-06 08:35:21
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Oh, just to add... both TV series are presented in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, ie non-widescreen. So with a widescreen format TV, you get black bars down the sides. I found that after about 15 minutes, I didn't really notice it.

They sometimes display 4:3 programmes in widescreen format by cropping off the top & bottom. They pan up-and-down to make sure they keep important things in shot. But I prefer it kept as originally filmed.

As for the picture resolution (sharpness) of the TV series... it's not proper HD but they have done some fancy scaling and cleaning so that (in theory) it should look sharper than it does on the DVDs.
  • As Agent Cooper himself says:-

"When two separate events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry we must always pay strict attention!"

Indeed! I'm sure they had that in mind :-)

I believe DL and Ray Wise have said a few things in interviews recently - hinting at a sort of 25-years-on update thing, but who knows*?

*The log, obviously ;-)
  • On DVD, the television series play in 4:3 (with black bars down the sides).  The film is widescreen.

It's a funny thing about the black bars.  With the old SCART cables, our television filled the whole screen with whatever I played.  But with HDMI cables, it often places black bars to either side.  The really strange thing is that with some input (mostly music videos, but also the Spanish DVD of 'When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth', and probably others) it shows a black bar at the top and bottom as well as both sides.  I really don't know what that's about.

I bought the Dutch DVD boxed set of Season 2 because it seemed that it would never be released in the UK.  All the writing on the box is in Dutch, except for one sentence in English: "Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions."  I don't know whether that means some of them are edited, or whether it's a general disclaimer the company puts on all of its DVDs in case any of them are edited.  It seems very odd that this is in English when all the rest is in Dutch.
  • It sounds like you have the Artisan sets, which means you're missing the features brought out with the Gold set by CBS like the log lady intros, extensive documentary, and the conversation with Lynch, Kyle, Madchen, and JW. The Blu set includes those and most of the Artisan interviews too. The series also underwent remastering after the Artisan set so you gain improved picture and sound.
  • Rewak's post has made me realise that the DL/Kyle/Madchen/JW featurette I mentioned is actually from 2007, not 2014. However, it was apparently pared down to 1/2 hour on the 2007 'Gold set', and the full hour-long version is on the Blu-ray pack. I pinched the following from someone's website:

As it turns out, the 30-minute “A Slice of Lynch” was a mere slice of “A Slice of Lynch”. On “The Entire Mystery”, it appears uncut, coming in at twice the length of the “Gold Box” edit. I was concerned the roundtable might get a bit boring at close to an hour. Actually, I think it’s better at full-length. It now feels less like a bone tossed to viewers who’d wished Lynch appeared in 'Secrets from Another Place' and stands as a very enjoyable and substantial feature in its own right. As well as Lynch and Amick reminiscing about locking lips, and Lynch sincerely admitting he’s never heard of “Baywatch” before, we get more insight into the show’s creation, and MacLachlan revealing his favourite Shelley Johnson moment and the joy of working with Michael Ontkean. Coincidentally, Lynch also off-handedly discusses his approach to directing.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-10-06 11:36:49

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!