Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tardis - The Doctor Who thread
  • 271 Comments sorted by
  • The Caretaker - oh dear. Well, it did little for me, and I can't really see who would appreciate episodes like this. Sci-fi nerds? Definitely not. Those that like a romance/soap story-line? Wouldn't have thought so. Kids under 10... maybe.

Good points
    Peter & Jenna's acting (given the script they had)
    The alien - its appearance if not its banter
    The line "So I suppose you're her... space-dad"

No-so-good points
    Climax of the pre-credits scene: "You can call me the Doctor". Um??
    The threat didn't build very well
    Clara-Danny relationship scenes weren't very convincing
    General weak/bizarre lines eg "Oh no... spillage"

OK, these are just my personal opinions. But the fact that I've gone to the trouble to list them... I still want this show to work.. and I can't believe Mr Moffat is letting it slide into mediocrity. Only 2 decent eps so far this seres :-(
  • Strangely, I liked it, there were japes & the aforementioned japes led to banter.
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Felt more like an episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures to me. That's not to be negative, as such, as I watched every episode that that and loved it but it just didn't feel like a proper Who episode, that's for sure.

And yes, tatty, I'm liking Clara a lot - probably far more than I thought I would.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • There are times amidst the sudden Danny and Clara relationship, the introducing a new child to the TARDIS, and the Promised Land storyline where I kind of think, "Where the hell is this going? Does it all tie together? Does it all matter?"
    And to be honest, as it's Moffat, it probably does.
    I really want to see how this arc works out. It may be forced or at times mediocre, but at the end of the day I'm still very intrigued and always want to watch the next one. Which I suppose, is really the main objective.

• ^ What about the Matt Smith inspired fellow teacher. Think it was to go with the 'alien dad' line. i.e. A parent chosing someone more appropriate for their daughter. Maybe the doctor had a supressed memory of his last regeneration and so subconciously approved of hiim (eventhough it was hinted he wasn't very good at his job - all fancy clothes). Funny when Peter came into the staff room and did his little speach you could see the teacher do a cheeky smile and classic Matt Smith head tilt.

I think Clara is much more like the first Doctor Who assistant (helped by having an older doctor) as she is way more youthful in essence than the other re-boot girls. Rose and Amy were young but had very old personalities through fatherless/parentless early lives (hence there wimpy boyfriends). Where as Clara still had a mother up to 16 and still has a father as far as i can tell (so no need for a fther figure in her life).

I was a bit worried about Danny being another WImpy bloke but this guy's chilled nature is obviously hiding something quite dark (just like the Doctor himself). When he was introduced to the class the head said he was a 'lady killer' which seemed weird for such a quiet guy. Normally i'd leave that but with Moffat every word often has a meaning? He has obviously done somethimg horrible in his past. Plus the doctor can't believe he's a maths teacher, he can sense he is hiding from he real self. The robot jump is a hint he is not dopy teacher and we say a lot of supressed anger at the Doctor. He could be a good caharacter if written well.

Please no little school girl! I coudl never live with the hair alone!
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-10-02 05:24:51
  • I like Clara. I thought in this episode, her make-up made her look very sophisticated in her school Ma'rm persona. Overall, a curates egg of an episode. Some banter but the alien was a little comical. One of the deadliest killing machines in the Galaxy? Surely, on the top step of that particular podium is the Daleks?
    Talking of space borne killing machines, next weeks trailer suggested a Dr Who does Alien derivative episode?
    If Clara is forged in the Sigouney Weaver role, do we get to see her in her pants? =P~
    Remember, in BBC continuity, no one can hear you scream !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Tonight's moon madness was the best Capaldi episode so far. Big ideas well played.
  • Tonight's moon madness was the best Capaldi episode so far. Big ideas well played.

I'm glad you think so. A lot of people seemed to really hate it but I was hooked from the start and had chills long after it was over.

• Really thought I was going to hate the latest episode after seeing the trailer - I mean, how bad does an Orient express in space, Foxes singing a jazz Queen song and Frank Skinner with a guest role sound? what WERE they thinking?!

So I was very surprised to find that I was really rather wrong and it was actually very enjoyable - probably one of the best episodes of the series so far. That countdown clock added genuine suspense/pressure, the setting wasn't overplayed and Capaldi got some cracking dialogue all the way through.

Who saw that coming!
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2014-10-13 08:10:35
  • Really thought I was going to hate the latest episode after seeing the trailer - I mean, how bad does an Orient express in space, Foxes singing a jazz Queen song and Frank Skinner with a guest role sound? what WERE they thinking?!

So I was very surprised to find that I was really rather wrong and it was actually very enjoyable - probably one of the best episodes of the series so far. That countdown clock added genuine suspense/pressure, the setting wasn't overplayed and Capaldi got some cracking dialogue all the way through.

Who saw that coming!

I too loved the episode but I also loved its orient-express-foxes-frank-skinner premise  :P

• On Saturday I was looking forward to the doctor being alone struggling a bit after Clara walked out. His assistants in recent years have just idolised the guy too much and the brilliant thing about Clara is he challenges him as a person rather just on the things he does like in that past.

So when she decided on 'one last trip' and then crumbled a bit quickly at end of episode I was a bit dissapointed. But then I realised it was a set up for her relationship with Dandy, him being the most mature and coolest assistant boyfriend ever. She phoned him and he was cool with it, totally got why she was addcited to it. Instead of the usual jealousy, suspision, etc.. he was mature enough to let her get on with it and she knew she had a 'rock' back on earth. He had some great lines the other week and he really his a few nerves with the Doctor. Intrigued to know where they are going with him. He has a big secret to tell.

It's funny I feel this series is about Clara more than the Doctor. She is my favourite recent time assistant by miles (and sometimes i feel i am alone). Infact the Doctor seems a bit lost with no relal purpose, which i hope is deliberate story line set up not bad writing. Has he forgot he is meant to be trying to get the his people back? Also it's more believable having an older Doctor. Think we have lost the concept with the young ones. Considering his interlect and age he you'd expect him to be a grumpy old man. :-)
  • Nothing to be said for last night's divisive episode?

• I loved it. Had known cybermen would feature, and had long ago heard/assumed that Missy might be the Master. But the story was still very engaging, I thought.

I know some folk were disturbed about the notion of cremation-experience, but I reckon most accepted Dr Who sometimes gets very dark. Michelle Gomez was fantastic, and I think has now won over most female-master-doubters.

Some great comedy too, eg the Steve Jobs bit, and the stuff about Scotsmen going wild in the street :-)
  • Perhaps all is not what it seems, though, as this article by MTV interviewing Michelle Gomez suggests...

"MTV: Before we let you go, what can you tease about the season finale?

Gomez: Oh, just watch it, it’s very good. You wont be disappointed – and nothing that you think is happening is happening… Nothing."

• I agree. All finale's in the re-boot have been silly/over the top/etc. Seems like a tradition. Even in the Baker years the best episodes were the ones in the middle of the run when they took chances.

So I just enjoy the characters at this stage. Michelle Gomez was brilliant as always (perfect casting!). Just like John Simm (and Moriaty in Sherlock) badies with a sense of humour are so much creepier! And Clara is again brilliant. The Doctor is still agrumpy old man though so for me it's still a bit odd but in a god way as it's different that the others. Also Chris Addison was great doing his best Monty Python impression.

I liked the set up, infact was a bit dissapointed it was just the Cybermen again ...yawn! Thing is it's like the daleks, etc. To many comebacks.It seemed so exciting that it might actually be an afterlife.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!