Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • Thanks Urban_T, and the shrug thing is so true!
    Anyway, everything's cooled down now, and well, let's see what happens. I'm crossing my fingers this time everything will be fine.
  • Speaking as a person who loves a rant, I heard an interview this morning with Gene Cernan, the last person to set foot on the surface of the Moon as he was the last up the ladder prior to the departure of the Apollo 17 lander back up to the command module. This was in 1972. We have not been back since (42 years).
    He said a couple of interesting things ( this is not very ranty is it? It's coming !)
    He said that being on the surface and looking back at the Earth, he suddenly realised that he was standing on what he thought of as God's porch (or whatever creative force you thought was responsible for it all) . He found it a very humbling experience and that if he could bring everyone from the Earth and stand them there on the porch, looking back at the Earth, then the attitudes of everyone towards each other would be vastly improved for the better.
    He also said that he was amazed, and a little disappointed, that last century we could put people on the Moon, and this century, we struggle to even get them into Earth's orbit.
    Couple this with the fact that 10 years ago we could cross the Atlantic in 3 1/2 hours, and now it takes nearly 7, my question is this; whenever before in human history has technology gone backwards in the way it seems to have done recently? I know I can now answer nearly any question in the blink of an eye without leaving the couch by speaking to Auntie Google ( how tall is Tom Cruise - answer, not very!) and digital technology has come a long way but why has this not been coupled with advances in the fundamentals of higher, faster, longer?
    Are our current scientists just not as good as their predecessors? The Victorians would be ashamed!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Wouldn't you think they'd have invented a Time Machine by now? And come to think of it, a waste-driven motor vehicle ( you could feed all your organic waste into the engine, have it churned up and converted into gas inside the car, like some big intestinal fart machine). I forgot tho....politicians like arguing over oil.
  • Perhaps there is just less to invent?
    I find that hard to believe though. The chance that we have advanced as far as we can and we have unlocked all of sciences secrets is just so unlikely, it's not even worth considering.
    In any other age, we would have had a faster, larger Concorde; a Space Shuttle that flys out of earths orbit after taking off just like a regular aeroplane. A cure for cancer and ways to feed the hungry around the world.
    New life, new civilisations, boldly goi....oh! I have a feeling this sounds familiar.
  • Where`s my fucking jetpack , we were promised :(
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-09-24 09:31:14
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Exactly! So long I've been waiting. And while I'm at it, where's my atomic car?
  • This is precisely my point. We were promised so much in the past from the future. Now it's here, it's the same old shite, but without Concorde or a Space Shuttle.
    Do you remember the TV program UFO? That flashed up at the start that it was set in 1980. We got there and guess what? No aliens!
    Space 1999 was set in, well, work it out. We were supposed to be living on the moon by then. Guess what? Another dwarfs arms/clowns pocket job.
    Interestingly, Thunderbirds was set in 2065 so I, for one, remain optimistic. I will be 100+ by then so we need those advances in medical sciences to kick in soon. Like that little device Bones McCoy has in Star Trek. And a transporter, and a replicator and...
  • Hot damn yes to all of that. Plus - where is my personal robot? Food as pills you can keep but a robot around the house? Gimme!! Gimme now!!!
  • Wild Corgi - is it a manic pre-programmed house working machine you want? If so, I'll let you have my price list. £20 per hour. Bout time I got paid for it, grrrrr.
  • What ... you mean Futurama is NOT a documentary and house robots n machines DON'T get paid in rubbng alcohol????

First no jet packs, then no moon houses, and now this. Is there no end to the lies in this world
  • Apparently, David McCallum wasn't invisible in The Invisible Man either. :^o
  • Hmm, I didn't see him in that.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • NINETEEN?! ZIP ZOP ZOOBITY BOP!

I'm totally throwing up all the Jello Pudding Pops I ever ate.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

NINETEEN?! ZIP ZOP ZOOBITY BOP!

I'm totally throwing up all the Jello Pudding Pops I ever ate.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • I'm feeling a little perturbed about some of these popular female singers who flaunted bisexuality and made bank, only to end up with men. Had they ever slept with women?! Doubtful. They had a fantasy and kissed a girl. "Oh, I can't make up my mind"...no, I think you did. Yes, it helped open the door of acceptance further, but...seriously?! Lady Gaga and Katy Perry are the BIG ones- although there's been a couple more. It actually pisses me off...the sheer hypocrisy.

The word hypocrisy comes from the Greek ὑπόκρισις (hypokrisis), which means "jealous", "play-acting", "acting out", "coward" or "dissembling."

Alternatively, the word is an amalgam of the Greek prefix hypo-, meaning "under", and the verb krinein, meaning "to sift or decide". Thus the original meaning implied a deficiency in the ability to sift or decide. This deficiency, as it pertains to one's own beliefs and feelings, informs the word's contemporary meaning.

...but then again, the word itself "Bisexual"..already tells you someone is getting screwed, you just never know who.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-03-05 12:39:18
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!