Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Royal Albert Hall - 18 Nov 2014
  • 497 Comments sorted by
  • Nice letter!

A bunch of us on here had personal Christmas cards from Alison and Will.
  • I still can't subscribe. When I click the button, nothing happens. I hope I can access this news elsewhere?!?!  :(
    I want to swim your silk black skin to the floor
    On lava moons
    A song of hooves playing loud
  • acasu87 said:

I still can't subscribe. When I click the button, nothing happens. I hope I can access this news elsewhere?!?!  :(

I wouldn't worry. Plenty will post it here shortly after 9am, l'd imagine. (I will be busy with guesthouse breakfasts, so will have to catch up after!) :-)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-25 10:36:24
  • acasu87 said:

I still can't subscribe. When I click the button, nothing happens. I hope I can access this news elsewhere?!?!  :(

I wouldn't worry. Plenty will post it here shortly after 9am, l'd imagine. (I will be busy with guesthouse breakfasts, so will have to catch up after!) :-)

Yeah, I'll be at work so also behind the curve (though hopefully not for too long!)
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Thanks :-) I'm a teacher so off work for a few days yet. Will post on here as soon as I know obviously. The suspense is killing me!!
    I want to swim your silk black skin to the floor
    On lava moons
    A song of hooves playing loud
  • Ideally: A special gig for those on the mailing list only. On a Saturday. In Manchester, where ToU was launched. We can all stay at the Mitre again :)

Probably: A DVD featuring one of the filmed gigs. Albert Hall perhaps.
  • It's been interesting reading and talking to you about your experiences as a Toyah fan UT, but I feel I have to disagree with you a little.. I AM in agreement with you that any band should value its core fan base, and I'm sure that most do. But I'm not sure it's fair to make comparisons between Toyah in the '80s and Goldfrapp now. For one thing, as Toyah's letter to you says, she welcomed the support you were drumming up for her, which suggests to me that she needed it. Whilst Goldfrapp probably make considerably more record sales in relative terms, are prob more successful in more countries, have the modern advantages of the internet and social networking sites / forums like this to promote themselves on...
    ( by the way, I always say "they" because I never forget Will, like some do- no one here tho, I'm sure).
    Where was I....
    And most important ( IMO) I think we have to respect the differences in personality between Ms Wilcox and Ms Goldfrapp. Toyah was always an audacious extrovert, nothing wrong with that, whereas Alison and Will are more in the Kate Bush mode....dedicated to their art ( must include Lisa in that too) and, frankly, less needy. Which is why I love them so much. I do believe ( said it before) that A and W are on the introvert side, not aloof, and bless them for it. Heck, why shouldn't they have private lives and withdraw ( somewhat) once the music is made and the tours completed...surely that's the best way to relax and let the creativity flow again.
    I realise I sound like I've got my head stuck up somebody's backside (!) but I do feel this. And not a word of disrespect to Toyah, whose Barnet I always admired lol.
    I've said my piece and will shut up now before I upset someone ( hopefully not you UT!) . Xx
  • Would you believe that?!? I want to subscribe to the newsletter, but the "subscribe" button doesn't work!!! I tried Firefox, then Internet Explorer, then Chrome, then Safari. All with the same disappointing result... So someone please post the news on the forum tomorrow... Thanx!
  • ^ Yes, people have been moaning about it. Stupid that they haven't fixed it (yet?), but as we said above, plenty of those already on the list will post details here as soon as known.
  • KatRobin said:

It's been interesting reading and talking to you about your experiences as a Toyah fan UT, but I feel I have to disagree with you a little.. I AM in agreement with you that any band should value its core fan base, and I'm sure that most do. But I'm not sure it's fair to make comparisons between Toyah in the '80s and Goldfrapp now. For one thing, as Toyah's letter to you says, she welcomed the support you were drumming up for her, which suggests to me that she needed it. Whilst Goldfrapp probably make considerably more record sales in relative terms, are prob more successful in more countries, have the modern advantages of the internet and social networking sites / forums like this to promote themselves on...
    ( by the way, I always say "they" because I never forget Will, like some do- no one here tho, I'm sure).
    Where was I....
    And most important ( IMO) I think we have to respect the differences in personality between Ms Wilcox and Ms Goldfrapp. Toyah was always an audacious extrovert, nothing wrong with that, whereas Alison and Will are more in the Kate Bush mode....dedicated to their art ( must include Lisa in that too) and, frankly, less needy. Which is why I love them so much. I do believe ( said it before) that A and W are on the introvert side, not aloof, and bless them for it. Heck, why shouldn't they have private lives and withdraw ( somewhat) once the music is made and the tours completed...surely that's the best way to relax and let the creativity flow again.
    I realise I sound like I've got my head stuck up somebody's backside (!) but I do feel this. And not a word of disrespect to Toyah, whose Barnet I always admired lol.
    I've said my piece and will shut up now before I upset someone ( hopefully not you UT!) . Xx

As if I would get annoyed. 1st principle if life - everyone has a right to hold an opinion, even if it is contrary to yours.
    Did T need the support? Not really in my opinion. I did many gigs with her, all sold out. She was very popular at the time and won the British Female Vocalist award in 1981 (I think or 82) for what we now know as the Brits.
    Different times I know. IMHO it was much harder for an artiste then. All done by post, or adverts in the NME or Sounds or New Musical Express. These days, it is so much easier to reach your audience to advertise your albums and concerts; you tap out one email, add the names from everyone who subscribes and hit send!
    Don't get me wrong. I am not after their inside keg measurement or what Maus had for dinner, but this is a business, plain and simple. We are the regular customers and another rule No one in business is that you look after your repeat customers. They keep your till ticking over while you try to get others through the door.
    We are there, captive on the board, on their server, keen and eager to receive all they give us, so give a little to make those regular customers feel special. No privacy threatened, just good business sense really.
    I could tell you stories of when Toyah lived in Finchley and we climbed over her fence and left a birthday cake in her garden shed. That was taking it too far and we were young !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Nice letter!

A bunch of us on here had personal Christmas cards from Alison and Will.

Good to hear Elliot. It shows if nothing else that Alison and Will appreciate the people who are, in essence, their best customers!

I’m sorry, but doesn’t anyone else here remember what kind of disaster the whole “Christmas Card” thing ended up being? They sent out like 20 (?) cards at most, leaving dozens of fans feeling very much unappreciated!

That being said, there were some funny speculations on the old message board about why some fans did or didn’t get a card. :))  Ah, those were the days!

(Just to be clear, I never participated in the competition myself. I think you had to send them an email with your username/name/address or something like that?)
    Post edited by Minsku at 2014-08-25 14:16:08
  • ^ Yes, it was a limited-to-20 type thing.

Obviously, I don't know how they decided who exactly to send them to.

Hmm, the only person I remember being disgruntled about who got them... was Jax'sbudgie. But then I was one of the fortunate, lol, so maybe wasn't reading the right threads.
  • Hmm, the only person I remember being disgruntled about who got them... was Jax'sbudgie. But then I was one of the fortunate, lol, so maybe wasn't reading the right threads.

If I remember correctly, there were quite a few disappointed people. The "Christmas cards" thread was like 20 pages long!

But really, who can blame them? Not getting a card was pretty much a slap in the face!
  • Ah, the age old division of the haves and have nots. I would imagine this was interpreted as an inner 'clique' ?
    A slight side bar HJ. The old board ( I did visit once or twice) had a page with a list on it of all the members. If I read it right, there were upwards of 4,000 user names ?
    How many are registered on the new board?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I didn't avoid the question. I hadn't seen it. I can't tell you anything more than I already have really, I know that's annoying but I made a promise and can't go back on that.

I'm in no way saying that artists shouldn't reward long term fan-ship now and again, goldfrapp have done this time and again... Christmas cards, q&a sessions, meet and greets (eden project, direct messages to known fans), shout outs at gigs. I just think with big announcements that it has to go out to 'the masses' for the good of the band. Let's face it, not everyone at the 'meet up' on Thursday is on here, most don't come on here any more (i only really post when there's an upcoming gig) ... Where as everyone has access to twitter/facebook/mailing lists etc. There may be a small few artists who treat their fans like friends, and that's fantastic, but they're generally an exception to the rule.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!