Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Royal Albert Hall - 18 Nov 2014
  • 497 Comments sorted by
  • I'm still entranced by Tales of Us, the album; so, if anything else comes to affect us on this side of the ocean, it'll be extra Miriam olive oil on the organic kale for me.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I knew they had to wait till after the Greenwich gig to announce something else. I just hope I dont forget to check on tues.
  • I really can't say anything at all. Other than, there will always be disappointed people when it comes to these important announcements. I do know what it is but have been sworn to absolute secrecy (i can't begin to tell you how difficult it was not to say anything on thursday!), but it will be good news for a lot of people.

Would you say good news for people whose favorite band is Goldfrapp or whose favourite band is Goldfrapp? 
  • Hmmm....intriguing.....! Maybe there were hidden mics in the candelabra and cameras in the ceiling at Greenwich and now they've decided to release it! Cripes!! Maybe that really WAS Alison waitressing the buffet in disguise....
    Or maybe I should just keep to posting on the Conspiracy Theories thread and keep my little delusions and paranoia to myself. I don't get out much.
  • I really can't say anything at all. Other than, there will always be disappointed people when it comes to these important announcements. I do know what it is but have been sworn to absolute secrecy (i can't begin to tell you how difficult it was not to say anything on thursday!), but it will be good news for a lot of people.

Sally. Can you tell us how you know, if not what? We had a conversation earlier this week in the house about the near future and I have a long bet on something.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • DVD would be great. Live performance better. One off show at some fancy venue fantastic but as a reminder to Goldfrapp we can't all afford ridiculously priced tickets or travel miles away to get to see you!
    Anyway, it might just be something to do with the September cinema thingy for Medea a la TOU film screening followed by cut to studio??
    Maybe even Mercury Music Prize nominations announcement. What do I know? 8-|

• I'm hoping for a live DVD/Blu including the Tales film, honestly i'll be surprised if they add another leg to the tour but i could see them doing another one off show in London or something, which is of use to very few.
  • rewak said:

I'm hoping for a live DVD/Blu including the Tales film, honestly i'll be surprised if they add another leg to the tour but i could see them doing another one off show in London or something, which is of use to very few.

Also hoping for the DVD we've been waiting many years for. As one of the "very few" I'd be over the moon if there were a one-off at somewhere like Union Chapel :)

Post edited by NovaLasing at 2014-08-25 04:57:02
  • yup a long overdue dvd (with plenty o' manchester stuff ;) ) and a nice intimate gig london town way 'll do me nicely ta v much. 
    Post edited by Stuart_P at 2014-08-25 05:39:17
  • If you couldn’t make it, we have some very exciting live news
    coming next Tuesday at 9am. Make sure to subscribe.

If this is just a DVD release, then the wording is poor. (Written by management?). A DVD release of a live show should have been 'If you couldn't make it, we have some very exciting news' . Live, by definition, means live, not recorded. Interesting that the fan forum sits on a Goldfrapp server somewhere, fettled by Goldfrapp geeks one would assume, and yet that very forum, populated only by GF fans, one would assume, due to the subscription process to gain access, is not let in on this news first. You collect all your biggest fans together ( if not, then why have a forum) and then keep them in the dark and release your news first via Twitter. Is the email subscription service tied in via the Forum? Does anyone have the foggiest notion about how this system is intended to work, or indeed used to its best advantage? ( and in that, I include Adam Kline and associates).
    My bet; probably a few more gigs at Christmas time and possibly a DVD for those that cannot make it to them.
  • UT, I understand what you're saying but I think the fact that you have to have an invitation to join the board these days (i think?) means that they can't just put this sort of info on here only. Also, message boards are a very outdated method of communication between fans. Even in the days when this board (or rather, previous versions of it) were in constant use, populated by hundreds, posting every hour, it was still never used as a way to get new info out to the fans, it's not really what a message board is for.

Goldfrapp have a very small constant fan base, management need to expand their reach, which is what the mailing list is for. There's no point promoting to those who would be interested anyway. They need to get the information out to as many people as possible. This is about the success of the band, not as a reward to die hard fans. By using twitter/mailing lists they get the info out to people who are fans first (they wouldn't follow/sign up otherwise) and include die hard and non die hard fans alike.

That sounded a bit ranty, it's not at all. I'm just one of the few who want the masses to experience goldfrapp and move up from being casual listeners to proper fans.

Post edited by VisualFallacy at 2014-08-25 08:25:48
  • Sally
    I notice you also tactfully avoided my question of how you know, not what you know.

Fully understand the need to reach a mass audience. I myself am fairly new to this board and received the email updates long before I joined the board. However, I also have in the past and still do with Muse, frequented many fan forums/clubs etc, and this is the first time that I have become aware that that loyal core membership, the die hard fans who constantly tell everyone else in the world what a fab band Goldfrapp are, receive virtually no direct access to the act/person concerned. If they have something cooking, then they lose nothing by telling those so loyal to the cause first. It makes them feel special. Proper fans as you call it.

You have heard me bang on about Toyah? Well, she did the bit with those loyal fans as good as it can be done. We felt part of the machine and that we had some influence on her. Muse continue to do this and are so much more proactive with their fans you wouldn't believe it. Try visiting Travolta.com. There, you can not only write on line to John and receive a reply from him, if you send an SAE, you will receive a signed photo by return and if you include a note asking for a dedication, he will dedicate it to you as well.
    Last year, we went to see Mari Wilson at a local Jazz club.  Afterwards, she came out and signed CD's for people.  I emailed her at her website and said how much we had enjoyed the show and she emailed me back and said she was pleased we had had such a good time.
    This may also sound like a rant, and is not intended to be, but, to be honest, I think the management back up to this latest tour, and the availability of merchandise for example,has been poor. I have had this conversation with others here, and many agree.
    Check out the photo below. This is what other people manage to keep their fans happy. She wrote the envelope as well (probably even licked the stamp).
    If you get this relationship right, it pays dividends and people stay with you a very long time.  The letter below, and many others, I have kept for 30 years !

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-08-25 10:03:16
  • Nice letter!

A bunch of us on here had personal Christmas cards from Alison and Will.
  • I still can't subscribe. When I click the button, nothing happens. I hope I can access this news elsewhere?!?!  :(
    I want to swim your silk black skin to the floor
    On lava moons
    A song of hooves playing loud

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!