Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 353 Comments sorted by
  • <3
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-10-18 21:23:57
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Your self-absorption boggles my mind.

Whisperit: I like what he says.  If life gets too painful (physically speaking, in my case), I'm outta here.
  • <3
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-10-18 21:24:09
  • A close friend of mine killed herself last year,. She had two teenage daughters. It has been ghastly, especially for them. But she suffered so terribly,  for so long, and tried so hard to stay here, that I can't say that she did the wrong thing, in the end.

• Well now we know he had Parkinson's and the drug cocktail he was on for it, might have had an impact. We know that even drugs used for depression can actually change brain chemistry sooo much, it can actually cause a person to commit suicide- so it's plausible. Pharmaceuticals..everything seems an experiment!
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-08-16 10:33:41
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ugh! I hate drugs. They're so scary... There's actually a simpler explanation for why psychiatric medications often have suicidal thoughts listed as a potential side effect. The media and celebrity doctors often misguide us by using that word...'cause.'

I think it's fairly common for people diagnosed with illnesses like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, or ALS to contemplate suicide. I would certainly be among those who did. It must be terrifying to face losing control of your body and/or mind. I'm pretty sure my grandfather considered it. A good friend's father actually followed through.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-08-16 12:13:58
  • My thoughts too PG. the bloke was depressed. No amount of seeming privilege can shield someone from that. I didn't care a jot about his work but sorry for a sad soul and the family he left behind.
  • I was referring to your comment a few moments ago.
  • I want to say something about depression.  I've been diagnosed with the condition several times.  I think that the medicalisation of human distress is profoundly unhelpful.  Depression is not a disease.  Worse, I think that such medicalisation disempowers the sufferers.  A disease is something to be treated by experts and their expert medicine.  The only real way out of depression lies within the person who suffers it.  My route out, which I've taken more than once, is to undertake a large and exacting project, or a series of such projects.  I'm not saying that it's easy, but depressed people need to do for themselves.
  • Excellent advice Pet. Preoccupy the mind. Much better than numbing through a prescription.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I think it is good advice.  I had a lucky break in the 1970s, when I mentioned to my doctor that my medication was leading to me walking across the road without noticing the cars.  He thought he's better take me off drugs for a while.  Then he seemed to forget about me, which gave me the chance to work on myself.
  • John Peel - He would have been 75 today.
    So many in the music industry owe him so much.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Joan Rivers died today :(
  • I'm surprised that she lasted this long on her own. You know, after Wayland Flowers died.

Shut up! She'd love it! She's probably laughing in Purgatory right now.

*sniff*
  • I know she said some very controversial things, but some of the things people are saying about her are brutal. Makes me sad.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!