Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 353 Comments sorted by
  • LOL pony.......
  • <3
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-10-18 21:24:42
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Yes, he was blessed with a loving family..but we don't know what kind of demons he harbored. Alot of comedians have had troubled pasts. He lost hope somehow. I know you have compassion within you iuv. We all have to forgive the past eventually though.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-08-13 00:25:55
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • <3
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-10-18 21:24:55
  • Poor Robin. Loved him.
  • iuventus said:

I was like, Oh, no! MORK!" For, like, a second. I understand that people loved him, but I really had no interest I his post-Mork career. I never saw DPS, Good Will Hunting, or most of his other box-office hits. I enjoyed Awakenings, but I thought that anyone could've played his role. In fact, I probably know more about his cocaine addiction than his film credentials--as a teen, I went to rehab with a guy that used to party with him. And now I know that he left several children heartbroken. He left this Earth just another self-absorbed Hollywood boob. Yes, well.

I understand he was deeply depressed and that must be bad if you are affected that way but to take your own life and leave behind a wife and children; even in their 20's, to deal with your demise just strikes me as an incredibly selfish act. What must the wife be thinking? 'You were in a bad place but you would rather be dead than try to work through it with me? " " Did you ever actually love me or was it always about you?"
    Food for thought.
    Lauren Bacall. Class act. One of the last greats of the old school of film stars.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I'm glad I wrote this because the world has demonstrated its complete failure to comprehend depression and suicide. It stinks basically, and I particularly want to distance myself from certain people on this thread. Goodnight Mr Williams

It's only a very short piece because I realise that people just don't have the time. Or the compassion. Here's a pullout quote for the truly busy. 

"To say that suicide is ‘selfish’ is to deny the presence of a corrosive condition that often erodes the self. "

Post edited by Sparky at 2014-08-13 14:43:36

• Sparky. I was not being dismissive of depression in any way but if you put yourself in the position of his wife and kids, it must be incomprehensible to them that he thought the only way out was to leave them.
    If I was them, I would find it difficult to understand. That's all. No offence intended.
  • Not you. Urban Tribesman, but the thumb sucking ego maniac known as Iuventus.

All I get from his bleeding heart posts is that Williams was loved more than poor little invents could ever hope to be. Me me me! It's so unfair. And the tragedy of suicide is 'hype?'

What a cun+.

• Sparky, I know it's a very emotive subject/situation, but forumer name-calling really isn't a good idea here...
  • <3
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-10-18 21:25:24
  • And yes, Sparky, my reaction is about me. Isn't yours about you?
  • Exactly the sort of diatribe that led me to leaving this board.  Not surprised at all.  There is one here that can't help himself from lashing out at everyone.  When I left the corporate conundrum, I decided I didn't need to put up with shit like that.  Even on the web. 

The title of the thread is RIP.  Nice of those who thought it their duty to question someone who decided to take his own life.  Somehow one gets the feeling that they think it was a light decison.  Such insights that I can't stand it.

HJ, name-calling is bad, but continuous offensive behaviour is acceptable?  Right.  Concerning this thread and this particular discussion about a person who brought such pleasure to so many, though he must have had unbelievable demons so decided to take his own life, I will refrain from what I really, really feel like saying.  Yeah.  Really.  I didn't even get started.  I'd hate to lead to someone else taking their own life.  I"m not about to hold up the mirror that is so very obvious.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-08-13 17:03:50
  • It is always sad when a talent like Robin's is extinguished from the world; even sadder when it is at their own hand. Until you have faced down those particular demons, it is almost impossible to appreciate the intolerable pressures he must have been under to take that fateful step.
    Welcome back @Whickwithy. Long time no see.
  • Although he omits mention of the terrible pain involved, I think Schopenhauer is still right:

"They tell us ... that
    suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the
    world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own
    life and person."

(Good to see you again, WW)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!