Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 353 Comments sorted by
  • rewak said:

Just read that Rik Mayall has died! :(

Young Ones and, to a greater extent, Bottom formed a communal link with virtually all of my best friends growing up and was post-pub, quote-along fare for literally years. !

An absolute comedy b'stard.

Yeah, like the time Rik was writing to Echo & the Bunnymen and started his letter 'Dear Mr Echo' !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Enjoy.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-09 19:33:16
  • I grew up watching (sneakily!) The Young Ones, Bottom and Drop Dead Fred and always loved Rik the most!

Breaking out the Bottom live dvds and a bit of Guest House Paradiso in his honor.

I will surely miss the filthy, crude, depraved bastard! And i think i'll head to church and shove a candle in my eye for him!

xxx 
  • Marilyn Monroe who died today in 1962 aged 36.  A time when girls with curves were called voluptuous !

'If you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best'

• “I want to grow old without facelifts... I want to have the
    courage to be loyal to the face I've made. Sometimes I think it would be
    easier to avoid old age, to die young, but then you'd never complete
    your life, would you? You'd never wholly know you.”

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Shazbot!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
  • Wow! First Robin Williams and now Lauren Bacall?! Two really lovely people by all accounts whose work was enjoyed by millions. Like everyone, I grew up watching them on film and TV. I'm genuinely saddened to know that I will never again see them in the here and now. It's bad week for cinema fans.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-08-12 20:35:38
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Already weary of the Robin Williams hype.
  • Lauren Bacall...eh, she made it to 90. I don't mourn much for those who've had long, prosperous lives.
  • yeah ......i loved her........but yeah long life :)

• Yes, a good long run!
    I understand the media saturation. For me and I think for many, the fact that Robin Williams ( and Bacall as well) had such a prolific body of work, careers that spanned decades and touched so many, that one imagines somehow that they're always going to be around. Their deaths register on another level, not only as deaths but as sign posts of the ending of eras.

LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • I was like, Oh, no! MORK!" For, like, a second. I understand that people loved him, but I really had no interest I his post-Mork career. I never saw DPS, Good Will Hunting, or most of his other box-office hits. I enjoyed Awakenings, but I thought that anyone could've played his role. In fact, I probably know more about his cocaine addiction than his film credentials--as a teen, I went to rehab with a guy that used to party with him. And now I know that he left several children heartbroken. He left this Earth just another self-absorbed Hollywood boob. Yes, well.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-08-12 22:47:58
  • @iuv I just watched the 20/20 special on him, he really was incredible. He was depressed iuv, grow a heart-
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!