Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tardis - The Doctor Who thread
  • 271 Comments sorted by
  • Cool, Carpy! I missed the 50th in the cinemas so I really want to catch Deep Breath. Nothing like a giant screen and sound system to start off the new era.

• It'll be the fourth episode I've seen there now - it's look gorgeous in the art deco location:-

Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2014-08-05 09:38:39
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • An art deco spaceship in an art nouveau theatre..

• The balcony directly above where the photo was taken from has a number of super-comfy leather chairs and sofa's, each with their own tables etc.

Yep. I'll be in one of those - you have to do these things right :D

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • All new titles and theme tune leaked onto youtube last night, hot on the heels of the UK private premiere. It's been nixed by the BBC, but a fan managed to upload a really poor quality phone video. Without SPOILERISING you, there may - or may not - be grandfather clocks and theremins, as Murray Gold's Hollywood bombast is dropped in favour of WEIRD!

• Not long now!

• Noticed in interviews Peter C keeps referring to his character as "Dr Who".

I'm sure he'll be great but he's bound to get pulled up on this soon!
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-24 04:47:47

• ^Not being a Doctor Who fan at all (don't shoot me) I don't understand what's wrong with Peter calling his character Doctor Who?? It's the name of the programme?
    Anyway, depending on who you listen too I've heard it was boring so interested to see what's said on here in case I ever tune into it as I like Peter. Give him a chance!!
  • Oh, the name thing... in the programme itself, he's called "The Doctor" and the hard-core fans often insist on this. It's no big deal for 95% of watchers, including me.

Yes, I saw a few people saying they thought it was a bit boring, but I really enjoyed it. There was a lot more dialogue (= less action) than usual, but I knew up-front that was gonna be the case, and I thought it worked well... especially the Doctor/Clara scenes. Loved the automatons, the mysterious ending and the comments employed to amuse/antagonise fans (eg The Doctor's "I'm not flirting with her!") Oh, and Clara looked even gorgeouser than usual :-)

EDIT: Oh, and I forget to say... the new Doctor seems an intriguing mix of arrogance and vulnerability.. will be fun to see how the character develops.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-24 05:17:11
  • I shall stick to X- Files even though it finished years ago!
  • We watched it and enjoyed it. It is always good to get in at the basement level with a new Doctor.
    Does anyone else lament the passing of Torchwood? I often find the need for Dr Who to doff its cap in the direction if a younger audience annoying and, occasionally, downright silly, which spoils the impact of what is, in essence, a dark though benevolent character. Torchwood had the freedom to not do this and explore much more adult themes. Mrs T also had the hots for Cap'n Jack and Cap'n John. Although the plots could be outlandish ( you don't say ! ) they always stayed firmly in the adult arena I thought.
    It was never intended to replace Dr W but thought the BBC would want to plug into the popularity of the former and run them as complimentary series with the occasional crossover of plot lines.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Yes, Torchwood took a couple series to find its feet, but I would definitely like to see it back... for the same reasons as UT says...
  • i enjoyed tourchwood when it was on, and yes like you say it was able to be a little more risqué.
    last nights dr who was ok, i think i'm gonna like capaldi more than the last one, i never quite got on board with matt smith.
  • I loved it. Bit of a mixed start, but the pacing is something I've always wanted in the revived series of Doctor Who. I didn't find it boring at all, Jenna and Capaldi are tremendous actors. I'll definitely be watching the rest of the series, this episode was full of surprises (had a minor heart attack seeing Matt again, still processing how I feel about it).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!