Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • I used to have quite a lot of Lynch on DVD, but got rid of it apart from Mulholland Drive and the Twin Peaks stuff.
  • 'Eraserhead' and ;The Elephant Man' are probably my two favorite Lynch films, not cheery stuff, but I rate these two films particularly highly. Great themes of social alienation, behind the surrealism is a lot of realism and I've loved these two movies ever since I can remember. A lot better than 'The Lincoln Lawyer' which happened to be the last film I endured.

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • On the whole, I prefer something jollier.  (Much jollier than 'Eraserhead'!)  My two or three favourite films of all time are probably Busby Berkeley musicals: 'Footlight Parade', 'Dames', '42nd Street', 'Gold Diggers of 1933'. Hmmm... now that I list them, I find that makes four, not 'two or three'.  It's a shame that they stopped making films with the year (or sometimes next year) in the title.  I think that the last film with a title like that may have been the indispensable 'Broadway Melody of 1940'... Eleanor Powell could certainly hoof it up.  (That said, I can also enjoy a load of other things, including Fred & Ginger, Esther Williams, Hollywood screwball comedies, classic British comedies, Hammer horror films, Ray Harryhausen's monster flicks, the list goes on...)  But I now wonder what possessed me to buy (and watch!) 'Eraserhead' on DVD.
  • well @Pet I do love a good Hammer film. I have recently watched Dracula, The Curse of Frankenstein and The Revenge of Frankenstein, all great movies. I much prefer the Dracula and Frankenstein type of horror to slasher films, which I really don't like.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Oh, I just love Count Dracula and his Vampire Bride aka Dracula is Alive and Well and Living in London aka The Satanic Rites of Dracula aka The 'Absolutely Fabulous' Satanic Rites of Dracula, starring the absolutely fabulous Joanna Lumley.

Post edited by iuventus at 2014-07-26 14:05:51
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Border_Mind -- I, too, prefer Gothic horror to slasher films.  As far as I can think, the Halloween films are the only slasher flicks I have on DVD.  I have a tolerably complete collection of Hammer horrors.

iuventus -- The presence of Ms Lumley in a film is always a bonus.  Strangely, The Satanic Rites of Dracula (last time I looked) was the only Hammer vampire film not to have been released as a UK DVD.  Fortunately, the American DVD of it is region free.
  • I too like a bit of Lumley. Posh totty. She shares a common trait with the fabulous Diana Rigg. Both appeared in a Bond movie and the Avengers series except their experiences were in reverse. Diana Rigg came away from the Avengers and playing Emma Peel to star as Contessa Tracey di Vicenzo in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Joanna Lumley was also in that film, as one of Blofeld's models, Catherina von Schell, who were to take the toxins to sterilise the world's food supply out into the unsuspecting world in their make-up, and then she went in to star alongside Patrick McNee as Purdey in the New Avengers.
    By coincidence, Honor Blackman, who starred in The Avengers as Cathy Gale prior to Diana Rigg, also left to star in a Bond movie; as Pussy Galore in Goldfinger.
    Final coincidence? At the start of OHMSS, Bond has a fight on the beach with two henchman who work for Tracey's father, Marc-Ange Draco. One of the characters is called Raphael, and is play by Terence Mountain. Before he acted, Terry was a lifeguard at Butlins in Clacton on Sea. He taught me to swim when I was 6. (He also fancied my older Sister). Terry still does the odd Bond convention and is on Face Book.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-07-26 19:27:40
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I have a couple of signed film stills from OHMSS of Terry and George Lazenby. I will post these tomorrow as I cannot do this from my IPad and we are away from home tonight.
  • Watched "Lucy" earlier today. A huge thunderstorm came and knocked out the electricity, stopping the movie. Exciting! as i love a good storm and it is hurricane season here btw. Anywho, the electric finally came on and we finished watching. Not bad. Scarlett looked ravishing. I just wish the story was a bit more intricate...too many broad concepts but nothing in depth. Still good though.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I've seen it well over 200 times on DVD, but this was the first time on the big screen. What a heart-wrenching tale! And directed beautifully. Kudos to the art director as well.

• Ponygurl said:

Watched "Lucy" earlier today.

This film looks like a giant plot hole waiting to happen.
  • The aforementioned Terry Mountain in two stills from OHMSS. The Melissa of the inscription on one is my older sister.  Befriend Terry on Face Book, he has a lot of tales.

• I went to see "Boyhood" yesterday, thanks to a KeithJ's recommendation on Twitter.
    I actually didn't know the special characteristic of this film until it was like half of the movie and thought "what the... are the actors actually growing up along with the story??? Oh my dog, they are!!!" When I came back home I searched it on the internet and yes, it is a film that took 12 years to be made!!! I can't imagine all the effort required by the director and actors and being congruent to follow the story. Lots of kudos to them! I loved the idea!

Post edited by caro at 2014-08-01 07:22:01
  • So, "Guardians Of The Galaxy" then....

Have loved all the other Marvel films so far but for some reason had virtually no interest at seeing this - the trailers really didn't do anything for me and I was pretty sure it was going to be the first dud in a line of pretty excellent film releases.

It's very nice to be proved wrong sometimes!

Enjoyed it very, very much. The set pieces are spectacular, the humour genuinely funny, the 70's soundtrack a wonderful difference to the norm (and an integral part of the story) and by the end of it I was already wanting a sequel.

Let's face it - in the wrong hands a wise-cracking cyber-raccoon with big guns could have been a truly terrible idea but the fact that they even pulled this off says it all.

I know a few others from this place have also been, seen it and enjoyed it so if you were also unsure get yourself to the big screen and enjoy.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Wonderful musical clip from a brilliant film.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!