Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Lego - Movie

Film of the year. So many levels. Pretty much a comment of modern society. Kids like it aswell.
  • Twenty Feet from Stardom

An Oscar winning documentary about some of the backing singers that were so important to the sound of many great songs but are recognised by few. Darlene Love is probably the most well known but there must be many, like me, who were only dimly aware of the likes of Merry Clayton, Claudia Lennear and the truly astonishing Lisa Fischer.

There's a lot covered in this film, some things only skimmed over, but generally it does a fine job and is often quite moving. Some great music, of course. Recommended.
  • The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery

I'm in the process of watching all seven St Trinian's films in sequence.  Four down, three to go.
  • I watched Hunger Games on Channel 4 this evening, and was disappointed by it.  Quite a lot of it was predictable in ways it shouldn't have been.  For instance, almost as soon as the character was first introduced, it was possible to tell who would be the last to die.  I didn't like the way it flagged in advance how she would use the poison berries (the clue, obviously, was in the repeated references to 'star-crossed lovers' -- getting us to think of Romeo & Juliet -- all a bit clumsy, I thought).  The ending seemed downright bland.  Meh!
  • I felt much the same way, Pet. Some broad trying to get up on my manhood dragged me to see it, or I'd never have bothered.

Remember, too, that the story was aimed at middle-school girls.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Well tonight I'm watching "Adult Swim" on 'Cartoon Network.' I watch cartoon's all the time. My all time favorite at the time is, "Regular Show" and "Clarence." I often wonder if people in other countries get Cartoon Network /Adult Swim?
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• iuventus said:

Remember, too, that the story was aimed at middle-school girls.

Perhaps.  I'm not sure what ages middle-school represents.  (We didn't have a middle-school all those aeons ago when I was in education).  The film was shown last night in what's generally seen as adult viewing time (9 o'clock to 10 minutes to midnight).  I'm trying to remember the adverts, as they usually provide an accurate idea of the audience.  Each ad has its own target demographic, perhaps most obvious is the likes of lipstick ads.  I can't recall anything obviously youth or female oriented.  That is apart from the fact that each advertising break included ads for new films that looked (to my eye) likely to interest young people more than older folk, and boys more than girls... the sort of films that are (or look as though they are) based on computer games.
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-06-22 07:47:00
  • Alien on the big screen. Twice. Loved it. 'Nuff said.
  • Iuv. Is your 'Nuff said' , like mine, derived from Marvel Comics and one Stan Lee?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • No; rather from my favorite linguistics professor.
  • I picked this phrase up in the early 70's when I was collecting Marvel comics. Stan would frequently write in the letters columns and would generally end with the strap line 'Nuff said'. As a young boy, it came across as really cool and has stuck in my mind ever since.
    You Americans always had much better comics than us. I eventually concentrated on DC Comics, particularly Batman and Detective Comics and still have these on order for every issue. Bought my first Batman comic when I was 6 and have been collecting them since then, on and off as money allowed. (More on really as I have a store room with around 1,400 comics bagged up in boxes ).
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • You Americans always had much better comics than us. 

As a collector of UK girls' comics, I disagree.  Misty was probably the best comic ever.

American comics were (and perhaps still are) full of crap about superheroes.  Meh!

Actually, I saw something on television recently about how rich various American superheroes are supposed to be.  So the message is "rich people will save us".  Yeah, right!
  • I recently watched "Nymphomaniac" parts 1&2, and really no one would've known. The faux pas happened when I went to grab my phone from my purse and the ticket stubs fell out onto the floor...at work.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I saw that last month. Not enough raw sex or cock shots for my taste.
  • Ponygurl said:

The faux pas happened when I went to grab my phone from my purse and the ticket stubs fell out onto the floor...at work.

Problems of the employed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!