Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Just watched Eyes Wide Shut for the first time in about 10 years. Slow in places but the scenes where he blags his way into the mansion and the women are formed in the circle with Red Cape in the centre stamping his staff on the floor as the music swells is beautifully choreographed and compelling to watch ( even without the naked women). The most amazing thing though is the film is set in New York and apart from a few establishing shots, is shot entirley in the UK due to Kubrick's fear of flying with a Greenwich Village set being erected at Pinewood Studios. The screenplay closely follows the storeyline of the book, 'Tromnouvelle' (Dream Story) by Arthur Schnitzler.  Will probably become a holiday read.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-04-28 13:51:28
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • @ Ponygurl & A_is_A re Under The Skin

Really pleased to read your two reviews - it definitely does keep rolling back to mind in little ways afterwards and that's when art, in any form, has made a proper impact with you.

The weird thing about the nakedness is that I was so caught up in the film and the motives for it that I didn't really consider I was watching Scarlett on screen naked but more the role she was playing. Considering how big a star she is that takes some doing when you divorce from the actress during watching but not the character.

I think the atmosphere and soundtrack did a lot to drag you into that sort of state, consciously or otherwise, and I've found that like Requiem For A Dream paired with Clint Mansell's soundtrack it's near impossible in my head to picture the either film or music without also pairing the other with it, so intrinsically are they linked.

Tip to both of you: Put the soundtrack loud on headphones and walk round your local city centre or mall. It gives it a whoooooole different feeling!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I'm really looking forward to the new ghibli film the wind rises, and Frank. But typically they're not playing anywhere bloody near me for weeks, aaarrrgggghhhh!!!
  • ping said:

I'm really looking forward to the new ghibli film the wind rises, and Frank. But typically they're not playing anywhere bloody near me for weeks, aaarrrgggghhhh!!!

Just saw The Wind Rises an hour or two ago - the wonderful Tyneside Cinema up here is screening it multiple times in both dubbed AND subtitled versions. We're very spoilt indeed and it's no wonder it was voted the UK's #1 indie cinema last year.

What can I say - it's beautiful, moving and an absolute heartbreaker. It manages to weave a story including social, political & economic Japanese history pre-world war II with a young boys dreams/obsession.....and a brutal love story that had me shedding tears more than once. The last third is especially tough, even though still beautifully handled.

Seriously, it would take a hard heart not to be really moved by parts of it, including something I never thought I'd see in an animated film, let alone a Ghibli - I'll avoid specific spoilers, obviously, but it's a bit of a jolt!

Oh, and I saw the English dub as I know I'll be adding the blu to my Ghibli collection anyway so can watch the original language any time. Great voice cast including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt, Martin Short, Werner Herzog, William H. Macy & Elijah Wood amongst others. Bizarrely, it features English, Japanese, French, German & Italian spoken language at various points!

As the Studio Ghibli sign off for Miyazaki san before retirement it's really going to set a marker down.
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2014-05-10 11:08:32
  • Carps, I thought it was a beautiful film, but the love story was a little distracting. Without giving anything away, it just didn't jive with the rest of the plot. Still, I saw it twice--and in Japanese.

Under the Skin is coming in a couple weeks. I'm eager to finally see it.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I'm still having a strop that I've gotta wait ages to see it ^&^^
    Tonight I'm watching all is lost, I'm told the sound design is great and that Redford is fantastic, I'm looking forward to it. Better than Eurovision.

• iuventus said:

Carps, I thought it was a beautiful film, but the love story was a little distracting. Without giving anything away, it just didn't jive with the rest of the plot. Still, I saw it twice--and in Japanese.

I didn't mind, really - I guess you can see it as a love story first and foremost (which, thinking about it, I did) or a slice of history as the lead idea - it's certainly two things wound together. I'll grant you that in the time given it was a lot to go from first meeting to...... but in the context of a Ghibli movie I thought it was pitched just about right.

Unexpectedly, it made a link for me between Japan's pre-war economic crash and the costs put upon it by Germany that I'd never really thought about - not what you imagine when going in to see it!
  • My complaint is that it didn't intertwine the love story with the plot in any meaningful fashion. It was more like an aside.
  • Beautiful Darling

A documentary about Candy Darling, really enjoyed it! Didn't really know much of anything about Candy and came out feeling like i knew her very well, and she was a very nice person.
  • Super Duper Alice Cooper

'Nuff said?

• A_is_A said:

And yes W, " Hollywood Fit " meaning real world stick thin.

No, it really means fit.  Most actors and actresses nowadays are chiseled.  Just about any that I can think of are in superb shape.  Scarlett Johanssen, Jennifer Garner, Hugh Jackman, I could go on.  These guys spend half their days staying in shape!
  • Hotel Room

One of David Lynch's lesser known works but worth checking out, i enjoyed it anyway :)
  • Sigh. Godzilla.

Some may feel the following a bit spoilery but really it's exactly what I & you should have expected.

Good: The creature FX, destruction & fight set pieces are astounding. A real step up in solid, convincing effects work, including realistic city scale destruction. Respectful to old Japanese films too, which is nice.

Bad: Pick your top dozen Hollywood clichés and yes, they will be in here: Small child or dog? You'll live. Army top brass? Yep, you're power hungry and just want to lay waste. Lone scientist nobody believes? Hey, who knew they'd be right all along! A family established as the main stars getting split up and put in peril for the entire film as all gets laid waste around them? Yep, reunited in the last reel with barely a scratch! Bomb with countdown timer? Naturally! I really could do as many tropes & cardboard cutout regulars again and you'll see them trotted out in this along with a fanfare to the American dream.

See it if you want huge monsters knocking seven bells out of each other but really, really don't expect anything much more........
  • Locke

Still trying to decipher whether it was a profound commentary on how insular we've become in the digital age or a simple gimicky promotion for Bluetooth technology. Nevertheless, it's sitting rather well.
  • X-Men - Days of Future Past

Another fine X-Men movie with Brian Singer at the helm.
    Quicksilver is a fun new character
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!