Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Please recommend me some electronic bands.
  • Something that sounds similar to Goldfrapp's Train, Strict Machine, Satin Chic, etc. Or not.

Musically, I've been feeling quite bored lately.

Thanks.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • 47 Comments sorted by
  • Tbh I think any post that is about 'Music' is way more relevant than 'last person to post' etc. I know it's off topic but it's still a music forum. So I like this post and feel it is totally justified.

The thing is the term Electronic music is tricky to define. I mean in the 80's it was obvious (i mean Lraftwerk had to build their own synths and there whole ideology was based on an anti drums, bass, guitar set up) but then technology became part of the whole recording process and it became about saving money with session musicians. In the late 80's one of the most successful electronic artists were the Stock Aitken & Waterman team. There wasn't many live instruments on those Kylie and Jason Donavon records I can tell you :-). But were they electronic music artists? Then you have bands like Depeche Mode and Ladytron who are considered true electronic bands who for parts of their careers had full live bands (drums, bass, etc.).

So I think these days the term Electronic Bands really mean the laptop nerds like Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, etc. So I see Goldfrapp as a leftfield pop band that uses

Will think of a list. One good place I go is Ghostly International label ( home of Phantogram, School of Seven Bells, Matthew Dear). They are home to many pure electronic bands many who are excellent. Not really like Goldfrapp thought :-/
  • @Utopia304 thanks. Will check it out.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Perhaps Crystal Castles, although sometimes they can be a bit more intense with their sound depending on which era of their music you listen too. 

I'd also recommend Parralox, some decent electro music from her.

• @Slippage thanks. Playing right now.

P.S. I'm open to all kinds of bands: English, French, German, Japanese, etc.
  • Verdict: not that great. Kinda bland for my taste.

• Alan said:

Something that sounds similar to Goldfrapp's Train, Strict Machine, Satin Chic, etc. Or not.

F
    F
    S
    Alan said:

Musically, I've been feeling quite bored lately.

Bored?  Really?  Never have guessed. Because of course there aren't enough threads on the board already where Goldfrapp fans are recommending electronic bands.

Alan said:

Thanks.

And members worry that spammers are clogging the board.

• Post edited by LuDux at 2013-06-23 05:27:51
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Chvrches
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Happy Rhodes, especially Building the Colossus and Many Worlds are Born Tonight
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I'm going for the eclectic approach - if I go for some very different ones then hopefully there might be something that hits the spot. Of course, it might just mean I miss the target hopelessly many times rather than just once :D

The odd, slinky, brain-fuel of Holly Herndon's "Movement":

Emika's "3 Hours" as flavoured by Jimmy Edgar:

The strange and formless groove of Gazelle Twin's "I Turn My Arm"

The glorious euro-grind of Miss Kittin's "Bassline":-

Any of those float your musical boat....at all, Alan?
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Cinematic Orchestra
    Piano Magic
    Sara Noxx
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • OMG, so many recommendations. Thank you, everyone. Will go through each one of them with a glass of wine tonight.

• This is a track from our compilation album, we do a melange of different electro styles ?? We are on iTunes and Amazon if you want to sample some other tracks.
  • from bands that use electronics to pure electronica

The devine Phantogram :-)

The criminally underated IAMX

The exotically dark Matthew Dear

The forgotten Ultrafox

..and if you haven't heard of then you need shooting Imogen Heap

..And the pure electronic

and

• (removed)
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-06-28 04:23:26
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!