Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Please recommend me some electronic bands.
  • 47 Comments sorted by
  • Oakeys Human League was the ultimate punk band. Much closer to the, anyone can do it, ethic than that middle class art rock boy band...The Sex Pistols.

I love the girls, wouldn't have been the same without them :-)

I`m being slightly 
    disingenuous - I have seen the Mark2 version live about a dozen times , stopped seeing them about 2004ish when I realised they had become their own tribute act , a sort of Synth Chas and Dave . Despite their caterwauling wenches , I do love most of the Mark2 stuff , Love Action is a Top10 tune for me . 

Heaven 17 - I`ve seen lve quite a few times as well - if no one has heard it , their "Bigger Than America" album sounds like it could have been written as a Human League Mark1 (ie with Ware/Marsh) follow up to Travelogue . 
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-25 08:19:49
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • (removed)
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-06-28 05:01:41
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • Sartori said:

I realised they had become their own tribute act , a sort of Synth Chas and Dave .

But they know that, that's why they are cool. It's their South Yorkshire ethic i love (and miss now not living there anymore). Not having the prententious quality most bands eventually develop when they've been sucessful as a pop act then want to be taken seriously. As the girls say 'so what if we are just playing ours hits every year to the same crowd and not playing our new stuff... its still great job and better than working in an office! Apparently, whether he is joking or not, Phil says he always puts down he's a singer in tribute down as his occupation.  :-)
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-06-25 09:15:39
  • ^^^:-) :-) :-) Also....who can resist Suzanne flailing her arms over her head like a loon whilst dancing on the spot...
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Sartori said:

I realised they had become their own tribute act , a sort of Synth Chas and Dave .

But they know that, that's why they are cool. It's their South Yorkshire ethic i love (and miss now not living there anymore). Not having the prententious quality most bands eventually develop when they've been sucessful as a pop act then want to be taken seriously. As the girls say 'so what if we are just playing ours hits every year to the same crowd and not playing our new stuff... its still great job and better than working in an office! Apparently, whether he is joking or not, Phil says he always puts down he's a singer in tribute down as his occupation.  :-)

It wasnt meant as a criticism , more as a personal thing to me , I decided that I had started turning into a "Absolute 80s" radio person (as you mention on another thread) and 2 young kids and seeing them live doing the same tracks was part of it . I`d never thought of them as uncool , they `ave retained their down to earthness as you say and I`ll always love them for that , I can always say that I`ve never had a bad time at a gig but seeing them live for me is a no-no now .  
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I am Robot and Proud, The Electricity in your House Wants to Sing
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Thanks, everyone.

I'm slowly catching up.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • I quite like this if this is what you mean?

:)>-
  • Tbh I think any post that is about 'Music' is way more relevant than 'last person to post' etc. I know it's off topic but it's still a music forum. So I like this post and feel it is totally justified.

The thing is the term Electronic music is tricky to define. I mean in the 80's it was obvious (i mean Lraftwerk had to build their own synths and there whole ideology was based on an anti drums, bass, guitar set up) but then technology became part of the whole recording process and it became about saving money with session musicians. In the late 80's one of the most successful electronic artists were the Stock Aitken & Waterman team. There wasn't many live instruments on those Kylie and Jason Donavon records I can tell you :-). But were they electronic music artists? Then you have bands like Depeche Mode and Ladytron who are considered true electronic bands who for parts of their careers had full live bands (drums, bass, etc.).

So I think these days the term Electronic Bands really mean the laptop nerds like Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, etc. So I see Goldfrapp as a leftfield pop band that uses

Personally I divide EM into
    Electronica (Progressive Electronic, IDM, Glitch, Glitch Hop, Ambient, Breakcore): Kraftwerk, Autechre
    EDM. (House, Techno, Trance, DnB, Breakbeat, UK Garage). Underworld, Orbital
    Downbeat (Downtempo, Trip-Hop, Nu Jazz, Broken Beat, Psybient, Illbient): Massive Attack, Royksopp
    Electronic "Pop" (Synth Pop, Electropop Glitchpop, Electroclash, Future Pop, Chillwave): Goldfrapp, Suicide
    Hardcore (Gabber, Speedcore, Terrorcore, etc): >
    Wonky () Flying Lotus, Skrillex
    Post edited by LuDux at 2013-06-25 18:42:22
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Ok, I'm making a huge progress. Just 12 more recommended tracks left to listen to.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Shitt.... forgot the greatest electronioc duo of all time. Probably my favourite people in the music bus.

BENT

They have just released a load of tracks they had not used over their career. Which considering they brought out some 20 or so non album tracks in their 5 album career you would think may not be of a high quality. But you'd be wrong. I've heard about half already when they put them up on Soundcloud. They got such a good response (quite rightly) they have mastered them and released them all! 40 odd tracks. New vocal tracks by Jon Marsh,  Zoë Johnston, Simon Lord and Cath Davey.

old calssic!

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-06-26 09:31:22
  • LuDux said:

Personally I divide EM into
    Electronica (Progressive Electronic, IDM, Glitch, Glitch Hop, Ambient, Breakcore): Kraftwerk, Autechre
    EDM. (House, Techno, Trance, DnB, Breakbeat, UK Garage). Underworld, Orbital
    Downbeat (Downtempo, Trip-Hop, Nu Jazz, Broken Beat, Psybient, Illbient): Massive Attack, Royksopp
    Electronic "Pop" (Synth Pop, Electropop Glitchpop, Electroclash, Future Pop, Chillwave): Goldfrapp, Suicide
    Hardcore (Gabber, Speedcore, Terrorcore, etc): >
    Wonky () Flying Lotus, Skrillex

It's funny in the 90's genres were quite clear cut but it seems there is so much overlap these days (and too many sub genres) it's almost impossible to divide. I mean Goldfrapp were always seem as a Trip Hop band when they came out and seem to want to defy any genre. Royksopp are a synth pop act half the time. Electronic period Kraftwerk always considered themsleves a pop band.

I suppose Electronica and Electropop would be a good way of breaking up the non dance scene stuff. Electropop is still about the song first the texture second, while electronica is sometimes just about the texture that electronics brings. But them Goldfrapp don't rly on electronics so saying they are a Electro/Synth pop band is misleading aswell.
  • Sartori said:

It wasnt meant as a criticism , more as a personal thing to me , I decided that I had started turning into a "Absolute 80s" radio person (as you mention on another thread) and 2 young kids and seeing them live doing the same tracks was part of it . I`d never thought of them as uncool , they `ave retained their down to earthness as you say and I`ll always love them for that , I can always say that I`ve never had a bad time at a gig but seeing them live for me is a no-no now .  

:-) I have to admit if i went to a Human League show i would probably hate most of the auidience. So know what you mean. Like I love ABBA musically (not in kitsch way either - the voices are still beautiful) but having to sit through Mama Mia would be my idea of HELL!
  • I've made a compilation with (semi-)electronic stuff for you Alan.
    You might already know some stuff on it (some will recognize a few bands I've been going on about on ye ole GMB), but maybe there's a nice new discovery for you there.

Here's the download link:

This is the tracklisting:
    01.Gun - CHVRCHES
    02.The Way We Are - Kate Boy
    03.80's Dream - Maya's Moving Castle
    04.Happy Birthday - Ada
    05.Inky Drips - Anomie Belle
    06.Spellwork - Austra
    07.Dark Passenger - The Deer Tracks
    08.Soldier - Amatorski
    09.Fast Lane - Husky Rescue
    10.Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant
    11.New Summer - Young Galaxy
    12.Never Be The Same - Little Majorette
    13.Here Comes The Train - Maria Timm
    14.Porcelain Heart - Nicola Roberts
    15.Threat Of Happiness - Wende
    16.I Can Hustle, I Can - Pien Feith
    17.Pontoon - Emma-Louise
    18.White Light Moment - Tove Styrke
    19.Plath Heart - The Braids
    20.Portait Of Silence - Philco Fiction

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • @Dreeke thank you so much! Sorry, I was away for a day. Downloading as I type...

Will definitely listen to everything and let you know what I think. I really appreciate your taking time to compile this. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!