Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
The Gallery. Your art for our consumption.
  • 393 Comments sorted by
  • Hey Kat. You seem to have a theme going here. The B & W inks are very crisp and have a graphical feel to them, with a lot of contrast between the light and dark areas. Very intense!
    The coloured ones remind Mrs T of stained glass windows.
    With the view that all input is useful, the last few look like the frames are vying for attention with the artwork which may present better with a larger mount to give a bit more space around the central image. Also, IHHO, and something she was taught at art school, mounts look better with the bottom of the mount wider than the sides and the top, which would generally be set to the same dimension, so a mount may be 50mm wide at the top and the sides, but 70 or 80mm at the bottom. It is an optical illusion and gives the painting weight at the bottom. Coloured frames can be a bit difficult to place, even if people really like the image, as they can clash with the colour scheme of the room, so Mrs T generally sticks to classic black or natural wood for frames, but you have sold one of those, so it just goes to show you that art is personal and you can always find a market.
    Well done and here's hoping you sell a lot more!
    Just watching a program about Rene Magritte. He was a man who tore up the art rule book!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Thanks for your advice UT. The monochrome ink pictures do have quite broad black mounts and black frames which enhances them. I'm still happy at it, drawing and sewing while I have a couple of free days. Time is always the problem, esp as my pictures take so long to complete ( I work in a 0.35 mm ink nib!). I have new ideas and will work steadily at them. X
  • Hey, look at you with your own exhibition.
    Giving constructive criticism is quite hard as there is a temptation to say 'that's nice' but that is disingenuous in my opinion. Art is personal and the final arbiter is you but every day is a school day and honest observations from people at least give you a different perspective which you either consider and investigate, or reject. Difficult to be really sure until you see the actual work itself but yours looks bold and confident and that is part of the battle. Around here in East Anglia, people expect art to have either a boat in it or be a Constable style landscape. To go out and be different is quite hard, and brave as the temptation is to just run with the crowd and paint those boats/landscapes.
    Believe in your work. Don't be a sheep; be a panther! Growwwl !
  • Lovely stuff, @KatRobin Tryptich (1-3) and Abstract Colour 1 are particularly gorgeous.

• Thanks Sparky :)
  • Me likey Kat! You should draw your spirit animal- I'm seeing animals in them!
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Thanks Ponygurl. I've started a new picture, intending to do a series on the same lines, mixing abstract with nature, quite dark ( leaves, bark, feathers, skulls etc...). As my pen is a 0.35 mm Rotring, they take me days/ weeks! Inspired by thoughts of loss, decay....and energy ( where does it go when we die? ). I'm rambling and prob sounding morbid! Will post a photo when first pic complete. We noticed that if the Triptych pictures are arranged a certain way, an anteater/ hare appears!! Maybe .....
  • KatRobin said:

As my pen is a 0.35 mm Rotring, they take me days/ weeks!.....

Rotring pens. ahh ! Takes me back. We used these for our drawings before we converted to AutoCAD many, many years ago. Are they still a pain in the arse to keep clean and working?
  • Keep using it and it stays well oiled....true of my pen too ha ha!!
  • Don't need the ultrasonic cleaner, then.
    Nice work Kat!
  • Here's the very first homerecording of my band Pilots Watching Stars.
    It's a ditty called "Viewmaster".

https://soundcloud.com/andrekuijpers/viewmaster
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Lily in Holland Park, London.

• Apologies for the chunky size - wanted it be recently viewable for juventus

The subject of street raw photography had come up in another thread due to the Vivian Maier film so I promised to put some of my shots in here. Here's one to be going on with.

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Thanks, C, but what's the connection between me and chunky?

Nice photo. Do you have a site?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • If you go to my Flickr 'sets' page you can then see one for people and one used as a b/w gallery bringing a few favourites together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carpathian/sets/
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2014-07-24 08:06:14
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!