Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Beyond The Black Rainbow

Style over substance, but at least the style was good. Imagine if Polaroid made film stock for a brief period in the 80s and it was used for an avant garde sci-fi movie coupled with a synth score, it'd probably have ended up something like this. Just a shame about the lack of substance...

• ^ Hadn't heard of that so might just check it out. Ta.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • ^ Interesting. Might have to rent that too. It looks American but, i don't recall ever hearing about it. It's a bit THX1138 meet's Hanna no?
    FINALLY catching Under The Skin THIS weekend. It took a while to get it in town?! Anyway, see you guys later.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • It's a Canadian production, released in 2010. It's not bad, if the trailer intrigues you it's worth checking out, but it isn't as deep as it lets on which is why it didn't generate buzz. It's a good first watch but there's not much rewatch value in it.

Enjoy Under The Skin! It's pretty much out of theaters here now, shame.
  • A_is_A said:

FINALLY catching Under The Skin THIS weekend. It took a while to get it in town?! Anyway, see you guys later.

Enjoy/endure accordingly. Throw yourself at it and just go with it. Let us know what you think!
  • Went to see Noah last night.....jeeeeeeez it was BAD!
  • Went to see Noah last night.....jeeeeeeez it was BAD!

Yes , it was a bit too (shit version of...) Robin Hood vs (shit version of...) Jack Regan .
    Overblown metaphor/allegory for modern life . Good rain though .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-04-16 12:33:58
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • rewak said:

It's a Canadian production, released in 2010. It's not bad, if the trailer intrigues you it's worth checking out, but it isn't as deep as it lets on which is why it didn't generate buzz. It's a good first watch but there's not much rewatch value in it.

"Found" a copy last night so will report back after a watch. I'm the sort that can invest myself into a film regardless of budget/style/substance constraints so even if it's just a 'single watch' level of thing I might still enjoy it a lot.
  • Ok Ms. A_is_A, I FINALLY watched 'Under the Skin.' I personally liked it! I'll show you my review, if you show me yours... :P. I'll wait till you've seen it first.

*patiently waits*
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Me and the Mrs took the kids to see Frozen this morning. It was good.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Under The Skin was remarkable in many ways. Numerous comparisons have been made to other directors and while I certainly agree in terms of atmosphere and tone, I think that UTS is completely original in what's actually captured on film. Without being overly discriptive and ruining the fun for others, the fluid scenes were just incredible! I've not seen anything quite like that before. Absolutely beautiful and terrifying. I think Scatlet did a wonderful job, she was completely believable and compelling.
    I'm going to fly off on a little tangent now about how wonderful it was to see a woman on screen that wasn't "Hollywood stick thin " I think she looked really, really lovely naked. In fact, I'll go even farther to say that I really appreciated everyone's nakedness in this! I think it puts the viewer into the alien mindset; to really look at the naked human form in all it's sundry variety as if for the first time.
    The music is astoundingly good! It added so much to this film, it's hard to overstate.
    The pace was too long for me, I don't mind a lingering shot, but there were wholly too many of them for my taste. Without question a very interesting film but not one I want to watch over and over again. The lack of dialog ( especially if there is not much else happening on screen) wears on me after a while. Also the understandable, yet ultimately alien lack of affect/emotion throught most of the film is taxing. At the end of the film I felt, perhaps like some if its unfortunate characters, very,very drained :D
    But I'm glad I saw it! I wouldn't mind seeing another, maybe a sequel??
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-04-21 14:30:35
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • A_is_A said:

"Hollywood stick thin "

Geez, I would say a better term, nowadays, is "hollywood fit".
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel

Utterly wonderful
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • ^ Agreed, It was wonderful!
    And yes W, " Hollywood Fit " meaning real world stick thin.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • ^ Yes, I concur...Wes Anderson has a unique and special vision!

@A_is_A (under the skin)

Well first off, I've been thinking about this film. I think great Art makes you think. Sometimes the things that aren't said (lack of dialogue) or seen..makes the mind meditate on them. I had no idea the film would involve the power of Female Sexuality. Kill or be killed, predator and prey...but then a turn. Who becomes the hero..or heroine? A sci-fi fairytale really.

There is so much that I loved about it. I wholeheartedly agree about the innovation and creativity of the "fluid" shots..the reaching out and look of confusion. Yes, original and to be honest..genius really. The shedding of clothing...and eventual skin. Genius. Scarlett Johansson, what a Goddess. I too studied her body...ugh, thoroughly gorgeous. We see several male nudes, but only one female. It was very brave of her to embrace the role like she did. Very thought provoking! I even identified with her character in the "running through the woods" scene..but I made it home, obviously.

A true work of art.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!