Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 66 Comments sorted by
  •  OMD in `82 , seen them about 12 or so times ... um.. Human League about 12 as well , got a bit pissed off with music for a bit early `90s . Erasure about 8-9 times , Oasis about 10 times , until people in wax cotton jackets came to the gigs . Seen Faithless about 16 times , who are probably my `passion` in music and every gig was a warm glow . Goldfrapp 6 times . Saw Queen just the once at the original Live Aid , should have been more - I tend to only muse on groups I`ve never seen rather than ones I wish I`d seen more . 

Had a few warm glows thinking about this train of thought , I look at the list above and see shifts in my tastes (obsessions ? haha) .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-04-08 05:11:17
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • My first ever gig was Howard Jones in 1983 :)

Bands I've seen the most other than Goldfrapp...The Prodigy and Depeche Mode

Welcome to the forum btw

• I feel like I'm not actually allowed to contribute to threads like this... you'll see why when you read my answers. 

I'll start off on the high point, seen Goldfrapp 18 times so far, 19th will be Glastonbury, with the 20th being at Greenwich :) 

In other news, the band I''ve seen the most is Steps (38 times... I know I know!) Moving swiftly on...
    And my first proper gig was the Spice Girls, back before Geri departed! 2nd of May 1998... first ever Spice Girls tour as well! Haha! 

It's strange really as I was a britpop kid... I loved blur more than life itself but I don't think I really knew about gigs and gigging until I hit 15... then I went mental and went to everything I could get tickets for.  Did my first festival at 15 (reading, it was just down the road from where I lived... so went 8 times in total) and then somehow got sucked back into the world of pop and got into Steps... I think it had more to do with my 'finding myself' and having a huge crush on Claire Richards at the time! 

• ^ hahaha. Steps. .... ;)

My first gig was Sleeper at the ilford island when I was 15. Someone got shot there about a week later and it got shut down. We were all class in Essex. Great gig though. I loved Louise Wener very very much.

Did have tickets to see Shakespeare's Sister a few years before that but they cancelled. God i was devastated.

And I've just been to my 26th goldfrapp gig. As if anyone needed reminding.... Each & every one special in it's own right!
  • Lol I've seen Steps 3 times as well :O

More embarassing gigs include...Gary Glitter and Level 42 ooooof

• My first live event was in 1970, when I was just 15. My parents took me over to the Isle of Wight for a "small gathering" I still have some NSFW photographs taken on the beach :-0
    My first actual gig was in December 1971, Led Zeppelin in the Salisbury City Hall. I am reminded of this gig when I see Alex bowing his guitar in the extended version of "Little Bird"
  • Laura said:

^ hahaha. Steps. .... ;)

Lol I've seen Steps 3 times as well :O

Haha well in my defense a good 15 of those were at TV performances and what not, and then a lot of tickets we got free and things... although travelling up and down the UK cost  me an arm and a leg... and my A Levels... had to retake them in a year after spending all my studying time going to see steps instead.  Oops. 
  • Forgot to mention, Human League. Was on my birthday 2012
    Post edited by cw37frapp at 2014-04-08 09:24:35
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Hello urban tribesman!
    My first gig was Texas, my parents took me for my 13th birthday. That was shortly followed by transvision vamp, I saw them about a dozen times. I wrote to some address on the back of their singles and started a correspondence with Tex the keyboard/drum player, he got me on the guest list for a couple of gigs which was rather exciting as a teenage girl. (Still would be I think!)
    I saw Goldfrapp for the first time in 2002 (i think) they were touring felt mountain in Germany. I've seen the frapp play 22 gigs since, I think they're one of the most consistently great live bands I've seen.
    I've been to most of the big uk festivals at least once and some of the European ones (ones in France, Germany & Spain) and I did a 10 day trance festival in Zambia, that was a bit painful tbh. I haven't been to the burning man but really fancy going, anyone here done it?
    I've never seen steps :(
    Post edited by ping at 2014-04-08 11:39:23
  • ping said:

Hello urban tribesman!
    My first gig was Texas, my parents took me for my 13th birthday. That was shortly followed by transvision vamp, I saw them about a dozen times. I wrote to some address on the back of their singles and started a correspondence with Tex the keyboard/drum player, he got me on the guest list for a couple of gigs which was rather exciting as a teenage girl. (Still would be I think!)
    I saw Goldfrapp for the first time in 2002 (i think) they were touring felt mountain in Germany. I've seen the frapp play 22 gigs since, I think they're one of the most consistently great live bands I've seen.
    I've been to most of the big uk festivals at least once and some of the European ones (ones in France, Germany & Spain) and I did a 10 day trance festival in Zambia, that was a bit painful tbh. I haven't been to the burning man but really fancy going, anyone here done it?

ping said:

Hello urban tribesman!

IMO, no-one should see steps!
    Thanks for the invite by the way. If we were vampires, you would be my sire!
    UT
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • My first live event was in 1970, when I was just 15. My parents took me over to the Isle of Wight for a "small gathering" I still have some NSFW photographs taken on the beach :-0
    My first actual gig was in December 1971, Led Zeppelin in the Salisbury City Hall. I am reminded of this gig when I see Alex bowing his guitar in the extended version of "Little Bird"

Never seen Zep but I did know the man who's son and daughter in law was John Bonham's driver and house keeper. Never met the great man but my Cousin spoke to him on the phone (made her day!) and I did manage to get two signed photos from JB out of it. My brother in law is a big Zep fan and has seen then several times as well as Rush, so no-bodies perfect. He went Zep/Rush, I went Sabbath/AC/DC and Ted Nugent.
  • Lol I've seen Steps 3 times as well :O

More embarassing gigs include...Gary Glitter and Level 42 ooooof

Never seen Gaza G but I did buy Rock and Roll part 1 on 7" vinyl when it first came out. Went to a fancy dress party as G G once - when this was acceptable of course. I suppose the Saville costume will have to go in the bin now as well!
    Have seen Level 42 supporting Queen.
    We all have so much in common! :)
  • My first ever gig was Howard Jones in 1983 :)

Bands I've seen the most other than Goldfrapp...The Prodigy and Depeche Mode

Welcome to the forum btw

Howard Jones! Someone will bring out the Thompson Twins next.
    I wonder how Jed is and did he ever slip those chains? Is it true the HJ had a vegetarian dog?
  • Dreeke said:

Hi there!
    Welcome!

My first proper gig was a huge let-down.
    Prince doing a gig in Rotterdam during the arena tour Batman era.
    We spent most of the day waiting in the pouring rain (and no it wasn't purple) and Prince only played about half an hour and decided he didn't like the Dutch rain....

My first Goldfrapp experience was at the Rock Werchter festival in 2001.
    Was lucky enough to have seen them during a tour for every album since.
    We were at Brighton too. Awesome gig!

Besides that, first of all, I have to acknowledge I've seen more Marillion gigs than I'd like to admit.
    I've seen Swedish songstress Anna Ternheim quite a lot of times (13 I think).
    Other acts I've seen quite a couple of times from the top of my head (outside from some Dutch and Belgian favorites) are Lamb, Red Snapper, Kashmir, Bell X1, Girls Aloud, John Grant and Steve Wynn.

Hi Dreeke
    I saw Marillion once. Did not go to see them intentionally but the supported Queen at a gig in Cologne. I think this was where Level 42 were as well, as mentioned in another post. Gary Moore was on the bill as well and so were the Quo! Someone near us had a heart attack. Seriously! She (yes ) survived I think but it always struck me as odd that Queen had an album called 'Sheer Heart Attack'. God I played the bollocks out of that album. Almost wore the grooves through to the other side!

• Ping, Burning Man is quite an experience. Everyone should do it at least once. As I grew up in the Sierra Nevadas just a couple hour drive from Black Rock Desert, my friends and I went almost every year in our teens. I went back again in my late twenties after a near decade break and decided that, for me, the Burn was best left to that place it exists in my memory...all hazy and nostalgic.

But by all means I highly recommend that anyone who wants to go try and make it happen.
    Post edited by hunter at 2014-04-08 14:53:33

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!