Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Hi all
    I am new to the forum, but not to Goldfrapp. I first saw them supporting Duran Duran in 2004, having seem them on Jools Holland, with Alison sporting a black Kepi, short skirt and boots! I fell in love with the music then and have been following them ever since.
    I was at Brighton and one of you spoke to me and asked what my name was on the forum, so I thought I should join in.
    So I can get to know some of you better, I thought I would start a new topic to discuss. What was the first gig you went to; how old were you and which band/ artiste have you seen the most aside from the Frapp?
    For me, it was Black Sabbath and I was 17. The band .I have seen the most is Toyah. In them days, the band was called Toyah, not just the flame haired one herself, and I have seen them/her 12 times. This may give you some insight to my user name.
    This is now surpassed by the Frapp at 14 and I will be in Copenhagen and the Naval College later this year so will get to 16.
    What about you?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 66 Comments sorted by
  • Cool! I saw Toyah about 6 times in the early 80s Have 'Sheep farming' signed by T and the band.

my uncle took me to watch* T-Rex in 1971 (I was 10). Wish I'd actually known who they were at the time!

* from a hill overlooking the outdoor show, in rotherham. ie free...
  • Oh, and welcome! Who did you meet in Brighton?
  • Still getting used to this.

I cannot remember his name. He asked me what my name was on the forum and I said something like I use my own name. it was not until later that I realised what he meant and so here I am thanks to you and Ping!

I love Toyah. Have met her numerous times and she was always charming and easy to talk to. We used to run a local fan group called the Urban tribesmen after one of her songs. There were others, the most famous being the Angels and Demons. We looked outrageous; some with mohicans (not me). We used to meet up in London for social gatherings. Happy times.
  • My first one was to see Sonia. I have seen Goldfrapp just 2 times. They are my faves of all time and i have 2 tattoos. One can be seen on the Goldfrapp tattoo thread. Others that i have been to see are Elton John, Alicia Keys, Rihanna and Madonna.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Blondie
    Lakeland, FL
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Gary Numan Aylesbury Friars 1979........then went onto see him a further 180 times....mad....seen Goldfrapp 27 times, including, Jools Holland,and the chart show.....and welcome

:)>-
  • nuwebb said:

Gary Numan Aylesbury Friars 1979........then went onto see him a further 180 times....mad....seen Goldfrapp 27 times, including, Jools Holland,and the chart show.....and welcome

:)>-

180 times is just maaad! I had a friend who was a huge Gary Numan fan. He found out where he lived and him and a friend knocked on the door, which was opened by Gary himself. He invited them in and made them a cup of tea.
    We once climbed over Toyah's garden fence when she lived in Finchley and left a birthday cake in her garden shed !
  • iuventus said:

Blondie
    Lakeland, FL

Would love to see Blondie. Parallel Lines is a great album with Fade away and Radiate being fab. Atomic is a favourite track on the jukebox and is awesome as well.
  • cw37frapp said:

My first one was to see Sonia. I have seen Goldfrapp just 2 times. They are my faves of all time and i have 2 tattoos. One can be seen on the Goldfrapp tattoo thread. Others that i have been to see are Elton John, Alicia Keys, Rihanna and Madonna.

I have only seen Madonna from your list on the Blonde Ambition tour at the original Wembley stadium. I saw Queen 3 times, including their last gig with Freddie at Knebworth. Also seen Muse about 6 times, twice in the USA, once as support for U2 and also at Madison Square Garden.
  • Goldfrapp in 2005 supported by The Shortwave Set was my first gig :)
  • rewak said:

Goldfrapp in 2005 supported by The Shortwave Set was my first gig :)

Where was this? I saw GF supported by the Shortwave Set.
  • Hi there!
    Welcome!

My first proper gig was a huge let-down.
    Prince doing a gig in Rotterdam during the arena tour Batman era.
    We spent most of the day waiting in the pouring rain (and no it wasn't purple) and Prince only played about half an hour and decided he didn't like the Dutch rain....

My first Goldfrapp experience was at the Rock Werchter festival in 2001.
    Was lucky enough to have seen them during a tour for every album since.
    We were at Brighton too. Awesome gig!

Besides that, first of all, I have to acknowledge I've seen more Marillion gigs than I'd like to admit.
    I've seen Swedish songstress Anna Ternheim quite a lot of times (13 I think).
    Other acts I've seen quite a couple of times from the top of my head (outside from some Dutch and Belgian favorites) are Lamb, Red Snapper, Kashmir, Bell X1, Girls Aloud, John Grant and Steve Wynn.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • My aunt took me to see Heart when I was just 8! It blew me away the way Nancy shredded on guitar..I took lessons soon after because of it, haha. Most shows I've ever seen by one artist has got to be Tori Amos at prob like 12. In fact she's coming out with a new one soon to add to my collection.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

• * from a hill overlooking the outdoor show, in rotherham. ie free...

A HILL?? Are u sure it was in Rotterdam, Haloween_Jack?
    Cauz' ik looked out the window a few seconds ago an I can't see any hills here.. I can see a lot of rain, but it still isn't purple, Dreeke! ;)

@urban_tribesman: Welcome to the forum!
  • Bjork on the Post tour. It was at the Warfield in San Francisco, I think it was November 3rd? 1995 for sure. I know because I had just turned 14 and it wasthe first time I had run away from foster care. What an awesome experience that show was.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!