Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Kate Bush - Before the Dawn (was the spoiler-free thread)
  • 156 Comments sorted by
  • On a side tangent, any of you KB fans that either missed out first time or were waiting for it to be cheaper, the 3 CD version of Directors Cut is back in HMV for £9.99

I've only seen the single CD for a while so thought it was worth a mention!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Oooooh... Cheers Carpy... Suddenly its become harder to find her CDs in shops.... Wonder why? :)
  • Because all her fans have aged out of the popular market.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-04-06 13:13:49
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Read a BBC review but not saying owt as it's a spoiler.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • So she's gone and broken some record for being the female artist with the most albums in the charts at once, good for her! I imagine at this point with all the money she's making of this she could end her residency by buying the venue, stuffing it full with the remaining cash, and still have enough left over for a cup of tea at a nearby cafe.

I have to admit to not really being a fan of hers but with all the hype i've started checking out some stuff, so far i've only tried the Lionheart album which was ok, nothing to shout about in my opinion, but what did strike me was the dynamic range of the thing. God it's nice to actually hear music.
  • 'Lionheart' is a bit of a lightweight in the Bush canon. Along with 'Never for ever', her least impressive. But that's just my opinion.

I know some KB fans who dislike 'The Dreaming' - which I think is a mind-melting monster of an album, certainly her most adventurous. And I remember Folklore (being another late-comer to the Bush)... quite liking Lionheart. Maybe that one appeals more to the ladies?
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-09-01 16:08:08
  • I love all of the early albums intensely. I've known a number of people who were ambivalent about Lionheart, or became so after hearing that it was Kate's least favorite. There were a couple songs on the Sensual World I could have done without, and about half of her Red Shoes, but I still like them. The Dreaming was her Dark Side of the Moon or White Album or Beethoven's 5th or Strauss' s Also Sprach Zarathustra...

Oh, and thanks for stereotyping Kate fans, but you forgot to add fags to those feminine lovelorn saplings who adore Lionheart (or are 'the gays' presumed included in 'the ladies'?). It's not like the album is rife with creative compositions and arrangements, or anything.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-09-01 16:46:30
  • As I have said before, Never Forever is one of my favourite albums ever. Just goes to show we all roll differently.
    There are a couple of good tracks on Lionheart IMHO (WOW and Hammer Horror), but the popular view is it was rushed out to make hay on the back of The Kick Inside, and it is the lowest charting album at No 6, with all the others going at least top 5. The Dreaming is a bit of a Noir album; in places intensely dark. Check out the 'Suspended in Gaffa' video and then look at the vid for 'Rolling in the Deep' by Adel. You may see some strong similarities.
    I was still there for Hounds of Love, and Running Up That Hill is an immense track but then it seemed to tail off again and I too could take or leave the Red Shoes album and I shifted away from Kate at this point and back towards rock music and synth stuff like Propaganda and A Secret Wish.
    Apparently, 8 albums in the chart this week is the most since Elvis died, (12) and the Beatles, who had 11 at one point. As Elvis would have said, 'taking care of business'.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Lo-o-o-o-o-ove Never For Ever!
  • Wow, Iuv ( no pun intended) we have something in common! We will be best buds before you know it ! ;)
    I think I can explain my attachment to NFE. I have heard it many, many times. It was released in 1980 and in 1982, I got my first well paid job. I celebrated by getting into high end Hi-Fi. This involved sitting in a lot of listening rooms trying out new equipment, and the only way to do this is to listen to a tight group of tracks to hear the difference different kit would give till you found what suited you the best. One of these tracks was Babooshka by Kate as it offered a good range of dynamics and sounds to fix on. This just led to the album being picked apart sonically over time and becoming very attached to it. I had 3 tracks that I used for this. The other two were Me, Myself, I by Joan Armatrading ( fantastic dynamic tom sounds at the start and very tight sound) and Dance on a Volcano by Genesis. Still the tracks I would use when evaluating new Hi-Fi kit.
    Of course, I now have a lot of Frapp to consider but those three tracks and how they are built up has become burnt into my listening cortex!
  • I just love it because it's FUCKING FANTASTIC!

I'm also a fan of Joan Armatrading's Walk Under Ladders. Just leaves me with a good feeling that one.

Please, don't presume that I don't like you. Or is that rather a confession?. No matter. There's not a person I've encountered that I don't appreciate for one reason or another. I even find reason to love those who've done me wrong in my life (and I'm not talking about something as petty as name-calling on an Internet forum--piddly posh!).
  • Aw 8-> . Who would have thought you were really a big old cuddle monkey !
    It is a great album. Not a crap track on it.
  • iuventus said:

Oh, and thanks for stereotyping Kate fans, but you forgot to add fags to those feminine lovelorn saplings who adore Lionheart (or are 'the gays' presumed included in 'the ladies'?). It's not like the album is rife with creative compositions and arrangements, or anything.

I just meant that *maybe* it appeals more to women than to men... as that's the case - amongst the group of people I've discussed it with. And i emphasised that regarding it as not one of her best was just my personal opinion.
    Ir was the first KB album i bought (1979), and i do love 3 or 4 of the songs on it.
  • Oh, stop defending yourself, HJ! It's a totally gay album--in every possible way for goodness's sake!

but I can say that because...
  • The gatefold sleeve (i still have it) is gorgeous! :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!