Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
UK Tour 2014
  • 372 Comments sorted by
  • Think we shall be parked up between 6:30 - 7, probably nearer to 7pm.
    Any idea of the local drinking establishment or bar inside ?
    Not that I will be drinking much, perhaps one as soon as I arrive then switch to the soft ones.
    Sophie_Banner
  • There is the Victoria a Hotel (and pub) on the corner of barbican Road and Heslington road. Should be okayish...it was CAMRA York pub of the season a few years ago.
  • Have to say this is some of the best sound I have heard from the band during this album "era" if you will.......

Glad to read the gigs are so enjoyable for all!
  • chokka said:

Have to say this is some of the best sound I have heard from the band during this album "era" if you will.......

That's why I'm really excited for Gateshead. The Sage is in the top ten venues in Europe for acoustics, having been designed into the build from the ground up.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • chokka said:

Have to say this is some of the best sound I have heard from the band during this album "era" if you will.......

Certainly was excellent last night in York. They have a great crew full stop this tour.
  • chokka said:

I'll second that. A truly memorable series of gigs & Alison's cold for the last few gigs didn't affect her voice or the performance at all, by all accounts.

There are obvious parallels with the Seventh Tree gigs - seated venues, quiet songs to start off with & the crowd on their feet for the final uptempo gigs, bringing the gig to an exuberant end. I'm more than happy with that. One difference was we got all (or nearly all) 7T songs at those gigs. This time, not all of ToU. I particularly missed 'Laurel' but at least have the joy of hearing it played at the Albert Hall gigs last year.

I really liked the way the lighting for the ToU songs matched the aesthetic of the album and how the simple diagonal rig burst in to life for the uptempo songs.

The band were superb, as usual. Angie & Charlie so effortlessly magnificent, Seb so enthusiastic on the likes of 'Alvar', and Ellie's versatility filling in nicely for Davide. Above all, there was Alison's voice - so clear, so emotive, so achingly beautiful. A million thanks, once again, to the sound engineers for enabling it to stand out so.

My favourite moments? Hearing 'Yellow Halo' & 'Thea' played live (at last) in Salford. A highly emotional performance of 'Clay' in Brighton. A pulsating performance of 'Train' in Glasgow that help prompt the audience to give one of the most rapturous ovations I've heard for years.

There was a time when we'd get two UK tours but I doubt if that's the case now. There are a few festival appearances to come, of course, but none at those I'm going to. A live stream of the Glastonbury performance will be welcome, of course, but there's nothing like the live experience, is there?

So all I can do is make sure I'm at the Greenwich gig in August. Tickets booked. See you there. :)
  • Well said that man - we saw the prelude to this tour in Amsterdam and Somerset House and have got to say I
    prefer the standing gigs - although my wife of 5'3" would disagree! Copenhagen becons.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Appy61 said:

Well said that man - we saw the prelude to this tour in Amsterdam and Somerset House and have got to say I
    prefer the standing gigs - although my wife of 5'3" would disagree! Copenhagen becons.

5'3" from the bottoms of her feet to the top of her flaming redness in reality but 6'3" in all other ways of measuring ! What we need is a gig box for her to stand on.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Thanks for that Ping. It helps explain why the sound was generally excellent at GF gigs this year - much better than previous tours
  • Very interesting read.  And I learned a new word -- sibilance.  
    Post edited by HorseTearz at 2014-04-13 07:36:57
  • Praise be to MLA and the engineers who used it so well.
  • great sound and FANTASTIC tour, a dream !

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!