Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 3229 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Carpy,
    You're the second GMB'er to give Nymphomaniac the thumbs up. Since it is so very long, part of me had secretly been hoping it wouldn't be good enough to merit a whole Sunday afternoon. Now I'm actually considering it. I hesitate with time consuming events because every once in a while i think about Paul Bowls line from "A Sheltering Sky":

"How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless."

-This thought makes me want to rush out into the real world and absorb everything I can. Until, like you say above, one feels the great overcome of satiation.

Wouldn't it be great to have that feeling everyday. I want that everyday, I think it's important we should try.

I'm rambling now :D You were missed X

LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • ^ I kinda get what you mean A, but you get pleasure from different things so I guess it depends what you're in to?
    Your comments particularly resonated with me cause the friend I went with has recently been diagnosed with cancer and it looks like a really tough road ahead for him, and he is processing the idea that time maybe genuinely limited. But films are a massive part of his life and are what he loves and there was no way he wasn't coming to see it!
  • I'll warn you - it's a very heavy and full four hours. You will see things you didn't want to see and many things you didn't expect to see but if you have ever followed Von Trier's work then I'm sure you know to expected the unexpected/unwanted anyway. He pushes our buttons and we respond - that's kinda the rule. It will be affecting, probably in a mixture of gladness and repulsion.

All that said, I'm very glad I went and submerged myself in his world for that time. It actually feels now, after the fact, like one normal length film in my head - not at all like some sort of marathon to be endured. It kinda flew by. There were moments you could literally feel the whole cinema push back into their seat in complete pin-drop silence and other times where you'd think you were at a Hollywood comedy from the laughter.

You're absolutely right though. This should be in the film thread but it has a bearing here as much as anywhere.

We are, directly and indirectly, the culmination of the things we do and the things we have done to us. We only have real control over one of those two so we should do our damnedest to make that 50% the best we can.
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2014-02-24 06:10:21
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • That film sounds like depressing filth to me so won't waste my eyeballs on it.
    Anyway, struggling at work today as feeling really bad with stomach ache, sickness, feverish etc. starting to feel very anxious about my doctors appointment on Wednesday. If she try's to stop my medication I'll fucking kill her as I'm not ready to come off them. I'm physically shaking with the fear she will stop my meds after being on them for over two years now!! Can't stop worrying about it :(
  • ^ You feel relaxed...calm. You are centered within. The stress of work will no longer affect you. You will become healthy both mentally and physically. On the the count of three I will snap my fingers and you will awake....
    One
    Two
    Three.... @-) ..... :D
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I feel as though we are being judged. My Mrs is with my eldests, Well caseworker i suppose we call her or Family liason officer, Whatever. We will be given loads of leaflets. Questionaires galore. That if i answered honestly could get me in bother with the rest of the household. Wish i could be free of all the aggro.
    Edit- I cannot be at this one myself today-too busy.
    Post edited by cw37frapp at 2014-02-25 09:18:28
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Ponygurl said:

^ You feel relaxed...calm. You are centered within. The stress of work will no longer affect you. You will become healthy both mentally and physically. On the the count of three I will snap my fingers and you will awake....
    One
    Two
    Three.... @-) ..... :D

One, two, three. Fab, I've come back as a drop dead gorgeous babe with massive knockers. Sorry, actually I'm still dreaming

;)
  • Hello everyone. Hope youre all well
    "its MY favourite song"
  • tweety said:

Hello everyone. Hope youre all well

By pleasant coincidence, I thought of you a few times today - being in Manc without the gang felt very weird!

Hope all is good in Tweety World :)
  • Its certainly been lived in the last month or so.

Glad you had fun in Manc today. Last summer was so much fun :)
    "its MY favourite song"
  • "Last summer" makes it sound soooooooo long ago. Yikes!
  • VERY EXCITED about going to the cinema tomorrow.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • I believe some sort of cinema event is happening tomorrow. I suppose I'm looking forward to it ;)

IS IT TOMORROW YET?!
    Post edited by Anoukvdm at 2014-03-03 15:54:23
  • Nandos for my tea before cinema tomorrow. You dont need to be rich to be happy as this is more than enough for me  :D
  • Hyperactive this morning and pant wettingly excited for TOU later :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!