Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 560 Comments sorted by
  • I know. I talk about the Reds too much. I go on about them too much both face to face with people and on here. It is because they are a huge part of my life. I will cut it down on here. Hope that sorts it for us.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Got a cheap Motorhead t-shirt and a Trivium cd. Back to not spending again now.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • I bought vinyl records but I don't have a record player LOL. The music is very vinyl and it came with free mp3 download codes so I thought why not? Might look for a nice record player somewhere in the future (ooh then I can play Tales on vinyl as well!)
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • I have not got a record player myself. But i have bought a few Madonna vinyls. Mainly because they remind me of being very young. They are collectables. And i have pinned the Like a Virgin one on my wall. Much to the Mrs annoyance. They are very cheap in the local charity shop. I keep saying i will get a player. Oh i have got all the Madonna collection on cd. Just bragging.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Got tempted into spending money this evening in Leigh. Got the other Liverpool away shirt because its gone down to 25 quid in JD. Bought Judas Priest, Single cuts cd. Metal hammer magazine. Back to saving up from now on.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Bought a Cheryl Cole calendar for 2 pound odd. And a Wigan Warriors pic. Think i might get in trouble for the first one but so what ?.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • A second hand CD box of Marlene Dietrich. Not because I like the music that much, but because out of... errr... well..... historical curiosity. Or something. :-S
  • Nipped into CEX. Got Rolling Stones- Some Girls cd.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • got another 2 Rolling Stones cds. One was a tenner the other a fiver. Trying to get the collection.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • A second hand CD box of Marlene Dietrich. Not because I like the music that much, but because out of... errr... well..... historical curiosity. Or something. :-S

By a curious coincidence, I recently thought that I should catch up with Marlene Dietrich's films.  I bought a boxed set of the films, plus four of her individual movies on DVD.  I've recently watched Shanghai Express and The Devil is a Woman, and enjoyed them both.

I'd say that her singing is enjoyable in the context of the films, but listening to a whole CD of her singing is another matter.  In fact, I used to own a CD of her singing, and a DVD of her in concert -- but I no longer have either of those, and was not saddened to part from them.

My advice with Ms Dietrich would be to stick with her better films (there are at least 10 worth watching).  She doesn't sing in all of them, and when she does you only get one song (which is about the right number).

Here's a list of what are probably her best films:

The Blue Angel (1930)
    Morocco (1930)
    Dishonored (1931)
    Blonde Venus (1932)
    Shanghai Express (1932)
    The Scarlet Empress (1934)
    The Devil is a Woman (1935)
    Desire (1936)
    Destry Rides Again (1939)
    A Foreign Affair (1948)

Oh, and be sure to watch her hilarious screen test for Blue Angel, included as an extra on the DVD.
  • got another 2 Rolling Stones cds. One was a tenner the other a fiver. Trying to get the collection.

I parted with my last Rolling Stones CDs (either sold or given to charity shops) during 2013.  I actually bought some of their material three times:

1. In the 1960s, I bought a fair bit of their stuff on vinyl.
    2. In the 1980s (on vinyl again) I sought to replace my vanished 1960s record collection, with some extras.
    3. In the 2000s, I sought to replace my vanished vinyl collection with CDs.

In the last few years, I've been weeding out my CD collection (which had grown way too large) -- getting rid of things there's no chance I'll ever play again.  For sentimental reasons (I suppose) the Rolling Stones remained in my CD collection for longer than maybe they should have done.  But, really, there's no way I would ever, now, play one their CDs in preference to Goldfrapp, Uh Huh Her, Girls Aloud, The Go-Go's, Mikabomb, Kylie, Daphne & Celeste, Shampoo, Client, Melanie Pain, Vanessa-Mae... to name some of those for whom I reach when I wish to listen to music.

In fact, I now wonder whether I used to like what the Rolling Stones were more than I liked their music.  As a teenager, and in my early 20s, during the 1960s, liking the Rolling Stones seemed to be compulsory.  It's only in the last few years that I've questioned it.  I've been through a lot of this: I haven't played that in years... Why haven't I played it...?  Is there any chance of me ever playing it again?
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-01-22 05:37:30
  • I am a huge fan of the Stones. Them and Bowie were always being played by my Dad as i was growing up. So i turned into a fan of them myself.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • cw37frapp said:

I am a huge fan of the Stones. Them and Bowie were always being played by my Dad as i was growing up. So i turned into a fan of them myself.

I've never been a huge Bowie fan.  He did some good songs but, it seems to me, even his best albums contain some dreadful stuff.  I owned a couple of Bowie albums, but got rid of them some time last year.
  • I prefer Bowie to the Stones any day, and disagree that some of his best albums contain dreadful songs. I'm not saying Bowie has never made some sub standard albums, but I can't fault certain albums; Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Station To Station, Low, Heroes. From that list Bowie covers the stones 'Let's spend the night together' on Aladdin Sane and I think it's a far superior version to the original, however Mick Jagger and David Bowie 'Dancing in The Street', now that is a truly dreadful song (all in my opinion of course) ;)
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-01-22 18:18:08
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • I didn't expect anyone to agree with me.  Mind, I agree with you, Border Mind, about 'Dancing in The Street'.  I'd add an emoticon, but I can't be doing with the wide selection of them available on this site.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!