Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X

• :))
    Post edited by juanbjork at 2016-08-24 22:34:15
  • 176 Comments sorted by
  • I liked Head first and so does my cat. I think it's got some really good moments to be honest, I am convinced Alison's opinion was swayed by negative criticism mainly from fans as the media seemed to quite like it.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • I think it just seems like a strong comment by her because we're so used to artists being careful to protect their past releases sales etc. Alison is just honest and, on reflection, realised she though HF was a mis-step of sorts. I think all the more of her for daring to just say it.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • :-) i got that vinyl in Houston Texas at sound waves music store when I was visiting my parents, and when I showed my mom she asked, what does she sing? I dont remember what i said
    Post edited by juanbjork at 2013-06-11 16:13:59
  • I seem to remember Alison taking the line that she likes 'Hunt' and 'Voice Thing' which are probably my favorite tracks on the album too, though I really don't have a problem with any of it. I'm glad that the same format of vinyl with CD and poster is coming out for 'Tales of Us'- good call and it's what I voted for on the Mute poll ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • I like Head First a lot. It's probably nowhere near as good as say, Felt Mountain, but it's good for what it was trying to be. I respect her for not being afraid to publicly critique her own work though.
  • Well I liked it so she can shove it ;)
  • I like Head First a lot. It's probably nowhere near as good as say, Felt Mountain, but it's good for what it was trying to be. I respect her for not being afraid to publicly critique her own work though.

I think you've articulated that really well. I think Head First is pretty uplifting, I have a few a positive associations with it, like my cat recovering a really serious illness, so I can't help but like it. I realise the new album is going to be moving well away from that sound, but I hope Goldfrapp will come back with an electro album at some point in the future.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-06-11 16:39:28
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • I made a comment at the time and it still holds fairly true. It sounds, to me, like two separate EP's.

One is a good quality Goldfrapp release and the other sounds like the Scissor Sisters had snook into the studio and played some tunes. There's nothing at all wrong with the second lot as pop tunes - they're pretty infectious and were great live - but they just strayed a bit far from where Goldfrapp work best.

When it works, Hunt being a glorious example, it was right on target.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

• Post edited by thathurt at 2013-06-14 13:28:17
  • I too like headfirst. didnt at first it was definitely a greower. think people appreciate it more than Alison realises. she is too hard on herself!
    Post edited by Stuart_P at 2013-06-11 17:05:52
  • Head First is an enjoyable album... however the problem I have is that VoiceThing (which I love btw) doesnt seem to fit, it feels tacked on at the end of eight quality songs which makes me feel a bit short changed...

if We Radiate was on there it would have improved it

just my two cents... ps Hunt is my fave track by far...

PS I do enjoy listening to all of Head First and will be spinning it again now in excitement for July!!
  • HF certainly has it's moments and it was definitely sparkly pop. It just felt a bit limp at times in comparison to other work......that is not to say it was bad....Hunt,Dreaming, Shiny and Warm and Voicething I still really like...It is fair to say that Al should be able to say how she feels about her own work..
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''

• chokka said:

if We Radiate was on there it would have improved it

Good track I know, did anyone see The Vampire Diaries episode which this features in? It's not merely as background music either and a brief Goldfrapp discussion ensues, it's about the biggest highlight of that series for me though, I prefer True Blood and Being Human, it's a good soundtrack album though, I digress...

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Neither did I.  Getting a very nice Felt Mountain/Seventh Tree feel from the new album trailer...
    Are you going to the party?
  • USA ITUNES. Pre order Missing some tracks. I was checking there cause maybe i was wishing some singles would be released by mistake. Ugh i wish!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!