Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 4410 Comments sorted by
  • Archway said:

Edit: I'm listening to the album again and I realized that what I struggle with is the James Murphy production in places.  It feels closer to LCD than Arcade Fire, which is a bit disappointing.  I love LCD, but just wish the sound was more Arcade Fire than LCD. 

Cheers, glad someone is commenting.
    Really intrigued at the negative reviews, not the fact they are negative but the way they are describing it. It's like they just want another Suburbs. I'm still don't understand why that album got such great reviews. For me that album was way too long.

There were a few songs like Modern Man and Suburbs 11 that I really liked but most of then didn't do anything interesting that wasn't on Funeral and Neon Bible. Plus the big pounding big tracks had such a limited rhythm, it's like they were just repeating Wake Up again and again. Begining to think they had a crap drummer. Not anymore. It is so like Achtung Baby in that way. When Larry and Adam learnt to groove, gave the band a whole new burst of energy. James didn't produce the whole album so of it, so it's not just him coming in and fiddling some knobs. I don't think this is a one of change of direction for AF I think this is them for next few years..

I personally love the AF/James Murphy combo. I think Prono is a little too close to LCD - the first verse actually sounds like James singing. But stuff like Here Comes the Night and Flash Bulb Eyes is great mutual mix and love of rythm and bass. I watched the LCD SOundsystem live film the other day (infact 3 of AF turn up to do backing vocals on Anericam Scum) and it's obvious they kindred spirits. Match made in heaven.

Also I love the fact they divided it into 2 distinct sides. That's they only way, in my view, you can really make a double work. ELO - Out of The Blue, Bee Gees - Greatest Hits (The 1979 one where they had a disco side and a chill side). The last M83 album was good but after a while you lost where you were and it felt long. Reflektor feels like 2 records you don't have to listen to both!

• Cheers, glad someone is commenting.
    Really intrigued at the negative reviews, not the fact they are negative but the way they are describing it. It's like they just want another Suburbs. I'm still don't understand why that album got such great reviews. For me that album was way too long.

Interesting, I found Suburbs too long as well, but I find that I skip more tracks on Reflektor because I don't like them.  Actually, I prefer disc 2, bcause it onle has one tracks on it that I don't like. 

Re the negative reviews, have you seen these?

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/17923/reviews/4147031

http://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/arcade-fire-reflektor

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/records/306262-arcade_fire_reflektor

And some of the mixed reviews?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/24/arcade-fire-reflektor-review

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/arcade-fire-reflektor-1.1571859

http://www.popmatters.com/review/176118-arcade-fire-reflektor/

And Q (which I can't stand) gave it 3 out of 5 and said: It's a wobble on a podium, a needless error of judgement that could have been easily avoided.

I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • Paavoharju - Joko Sinä Tulet Tänne Alas Tai Minä Nousen Sinne

Disappointment of the year.  What an utter letdown.  The first three tracks are great, but it goes downhill rapidly after that. 
    Post edited by Archway at 2013-10-31 13:03:44
  • ^ the Clash one is terrible! Reflektor is 'compositionally rudimentary' !!!! It is beautifully put together. James Murphy is going to be in VERY high demand in next few years ... you watch. I don't mind reviews being negative some of the Refektor reviews give good reasons why the album doesn't work for them. But some are just being crtical for the point of it. One other review said steel drums should never be used in modern music!?

I think the problem is when Funeral came out some reviews saw it as an almost religious thing it had such impact for them (and inspired quiet a few artists - Coldplay for one!) so now it almost like going against the 'scriptures of Arcade Fire' to do anything that doesn't fit the idea of Arcade Fire. i.e. 'AF shall not have the funk',  'AF shall not have any fun', 'AF shall not be ironic'. I think you only get AF is you see them live (be it on tv or in the flesh). There are so many Pitchfork faves that just go on producing the same sound year after year.
  • I think the problem is when Funeral came out some reviews saw it as an almost religious thing it had such impact for them (and inspired quiet a few artists - Coldplay for one!) so now it almost like going against the 'scriptures of Arcade Fire' to do anything that doesn't fit the idea of Arcade Fire. i.e. 'AF shall not have the funk',  'AF shall not have any fun', 'AF shall not be ironic'.

I agree with you completely on this. Critics are very fickle though. If a band changes direction, often they will be lambasted for having lost "their sound", but if they stick to their sound, they will be criticized for being stuck.

I love it when bands experiment a bit. I'm rather pleased AR did something different, but at the moment some of it just doesn't appeal to me. It is tracks 3 - 7 on disc one that I struggle with, and then of course Awful Sound (Oh Eurydice), which I think is the worst thing they have done to date.

I would say my view on Reflektor at the moment is close to the Guradian's view.  Reflektor ranks as my third favourite AF album (Neon Bible first, followed by Funeral).

• Finally got Charlie Jones' album today, and wow... Love it!
    I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    I just happen to like this darkjazz kind of stuff.
    And IMHO this is a masterpiece in its genre.

Happy Dreeke! ;)

All of you going to Hammersmith tomorrow: have a great time!
    If anyone of you get the chance to speak to Charlie, please let him know I love his album...
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2013-10-31 19:53:37
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Oh... And talking about the whole AF stuff...
    I really don't like mister Butler's voice. Never did. Annoying. (It happens)
    Would that still bug me on the new album?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • You may cajole...

Please, won't you fly!

Post edited by iuventus at 2013-11-02 15:50:21
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • If I were dead, could I do this?
  • If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Dreeke said:

Just spotted this - nice!

I got their excellent "Í annan heim" album from gogoyoko a while ago. Will have to check the new stuff out.....
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Dreeke said:

Oh... And talking about the whole AF stuff...
    I really don't like mister Butler's voice. Never did. Annoying. (It happens)
    Would that still bug me on the new album?

I think people who like LCD Soundsystem will be more excited by this album than AF fans. As AF fans are generally pretty fussy bunch they don't like change + Arcade Fire do have a specific sound. But LCD Soundsystem have a pretty broad range of musical styles on their albums so although it's not James Murphy it has that diverse sound. The more I listen to Reflektor the more I realise they are kindrid spirits. Apparently James only spent 2 weeks with them, a lot was done by the band and Markus Dravus.

Win's voice is less ernest and more playful and there are more Regine harmionies  (although she doesn't get a song on this one which is a shame) but if you are not keen on the singers voice can't see you getting past that (well for me I am the same myself with certain singers and a new style of music will rarely change my mind).

I have really warmed to the band after watching some interviews.

me listening: Still Arcade Fire :-)

•  (although she doesn't get a song on this one which is a shame)

That's a real pity - love her voice solo!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • That will be quite a few of my Frapp cds later on. I am going to stay downstairs for a bit when the kids come home. Then listen Frapp when i relax and try to get better from my cold upstairs after tea.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • I think it's time to get my Beach House albums out as need reminders of sun and warm weather now it's getting cold here! They make me think of those images.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!