Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
How did you get into Goldfrapp?
  • 163 Comments sorted by
  • Do you open the front door afrer knocking politely?
  • I was driving back to my hotel whilst working away from home, must have been a month or so before Seventh Tree came out, and Radcliffe and Maconie were still on Radio 2 - they did the first play of A&E, and I was hooked, I'd never heard anything like it before. I bought Seventh Tree on release day and played it non stop in the car and at night in hotels (it's still my favourite music to get me to sleep). I must admit to having bought all the other albums a week or so later, but it's still Seventh Tree that I listen to on a weekly basis :).

Given the comments I've read so far about TOU, I'm really looking forward to it...and I only found out about it at 3am this morning!

• I bought Felt Mountain when it was released in 2000. I feel fairly certain that I bought it as a result of the description of the music in a review i.e. beautiful, cinematic, strings etc. I remember loving Felt Mountain instantly, apart from Oompa Radar, which I only started to appreciate in the past couple of years.

In all honesty, I kind of lost interest in Goldfrapp with Black Cherry and Suoernature, even though I bought both albums. Seventh Tree hooked me again. And then Head First happened and I thought it was all over. So I hope Tales If Us will restore my hope. From bits I have heard and from what people have said, it sounds like it might be another album I will love.
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • First I listened to Judas Remix, and then, I watched A&E (without sound) at the fitness, 3 years ago... I recognized the name, but I forgot it. (:'/). In nov, last year, a friend created a group on Facebook about Goldfrapp, and shared the link on iamamiwhoami group. I joined, I downloaded all the albuns, and then here I am. HAHAHA 

But, finally I bought all the cds. I had to purchase it from UK, cause there's only The Singles in Brazil. Probably, they won't release ToU here :'/ 

• Oh no. leocl you have mentioned the Judas Remix. I have never bought that. I just never got around to it. I always class that as a Gaga release so as a Frapper i do not need to feel guilty.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • The year was 2003. It was "bring your favorite CD or play your favorite playlist to work day" at the office. I brought in my copy of Tricky's Maxinquaye and after the track "Pumpkin" played, my co-worker turned around and said "You know that woman who's singing on Pumpkin has her own cds? I can bring it in tomorrow and you guys can tell me if you don't like it." We told her bring it in.
    So the next day, she connects her iPod to the speakers and started playing the first track from Black Cherry. She kept saying that if it sucked she can turn it off. We told her just play the fucking thing! LOL!
    She played it. I liked the track "Crystaline Green" but it wasn't until "Tiptoe" that I literally turned to the co-worker and asked, "Who the fuck is this?" The co-worker turned around and sheepishly replied, "Goldfrapp. It's Alison Goldfrapp." She thought I was going to pull the iPod out from the speakers.
    I replied, "Its fucking AMAZING!" 
    What was really interesting though is that - just like other Goldfrapp fans around here - we were all intrigued by her voice in the 1990s. I still can't believe its been that long. As far back as my senior year in college. I remember the look of a classmate's face as they try to pronounce the name "Goldfrapp". They made a weird, sour face. I thought, that's a pretty interesting last name. Its something you won't forget.
    So fast forward to today and I'm now a deer among Goldfrapp Deers. 
    :D
    Post edited by saizo at 2013-09-19 18:44:52
  • They are easily my favourite band now, but I was a late starter with Goldfrapp.

I was 10 when Black Cherry came out, and don't recall ever hearing played on radio or anything... as Alison got older and shoved onto Radio 2, it became less likely that I would hear them.

In 2011, Suzi Quatro (my hero) covered Strict Machine on her album, and it was such a great version that I had to check out the original, and it knocked me sideways. I'd never heard a blend of pop with electronica and an element of opera before.... so dramatic.

The next I heard was Rocket when I saw the video on Youtube, so bought Head First in March 2012 (almost exactly 2 years after it was released), purely because it was the cheapest Frapp album on the site at the time.

Everyone bitches about Head First, but I love it- it was the first Goldfrapp experience I had ever properly had, and it made me fall 'Head First' in love with them! I Wanna Life has been my favourite song ever since I heard it, and within six months, I had all their albums, most of the Abbey Road live albums and tons of live EPs and remixes.

Seventh Tree is now my all-time favourite album... long may they continue to make great music!
  • It was 2000 and Utopia was big on the radio. That got me into picking up the album from the recordstore (back when one could actually walk in a store and buy media with music on it) without having listened to any other track besides Utopia. I.was.astounded when I played it. Never had I heard music that actually touched my soul. Still to this date I rate FM one of the best albums ever made by any band/musician. 
  • I was chatting to my friend in September 2003 time and he asked me if I liked Goldfrapp, I said I'd heard of them but didn't think I knew any songs.. he sent me Lovely Head, instantly recognised it and then I heard Strict Machine & Slippage.. LOVED how diverse all 3 songs were, heard they were about to release a song called 'Twist' so bought the album and then got Felt Mountain after hearing Utopia for the first time (<3) 

I loved all the slipcase designs for the Black Cherry singles so I went on a mad spending spree after BC single had been released, got the entire set and then spent most of the year after anticipating the new album which I knew they were working on; Supernature (or Ooh La La as it was originally titled!) went to see them at Big Gay Out (cringe) in July 2005.. the rest is history! I now have a tower of the singles and albums/special edition cds on my shelf.

Black Cherry is my favourite album of all time, closely followed by Seventh Tree. I was 16 and 21 for those albums; happy memories!
  • I love reading this thread.

It's very easy to have your own route in to them and subconciously assume that's kinda where everybody else has their mindset built from too but there's a loooong time for people to have come on board and it seems we have folks ranging from before Goldfrapp existed as band through to Tales Of Us.

Everything is new to everybody once!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • ^ True!

As for my part I was testing a (back then) brand new audio ripping software for online radio streams. turned out the track I was recording is called Satin Chick. I loved its extraordinary sound (and still do) so I did some research and found an album called Supernature of which I bought that very same track.

The same week my favourite tv channel started a new ad campaign featuring lots of gold and a track called Number 1. Again I did some research, found the same album and bought the rest of it.

Later that year I did a school trip to Canterbury, went to hmv, bumped into an employee holding a stack of Black Cherry albums and ended up buying one of them.

Back home I ordered felt mountain, still call it my all time fave, and couldn't wait for them to release seventh tree. that's when I finally joined the message board.

Anyway, making a long story short there was no way for me not to recognize this band at some point.
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2013-09-20 14:12:02
    Be patient.
  • Sometime in late 2000, saw the "Human" video on Much Music's "The Wedge".  Much Music is (was?) a Canadian music video channel, which is (was?) carried by some US cable tv providers, and "The Wedge" was, I guess, their version of MTV's "120 Minutes" wherein alternative/indie music videos were played.  Was instantly hooked by the song, bought Felt Mountain, then saw them play the now defunct Knitting Factory club in Hollywood and caught them on every US tour since. 
    Post edited by HorseTearz at 2013-09-20 15:14:10
  • In think it must have been in 2005 or 2006 when my girlfriend borrowed a laptop from her sister for a certain period of time. It was an Apple, and because I was curious to find out about how Apples work, I nosed around a bit. In the music library on that computer, I came across a band called Goldfrapp. They had an album called Supernature. I made a copy of the music and just kept listening to it for several weeks. Then I started watching Goldfrapp on Youtube, and found out that Supernature was not their only album. Kept listening to the music, and when Goldfrapp released Seventh Tree a couple of years later, I could not stop listening to it (I still think it’s the best album they made, but now we have Tales of Us, of course). So that was the moment when I bought Seventh Tree, Supernature, Black Cherry and Felt Mountain all at the same time. Boy, was I happy or what!

In the same year I drove with a friend all the way back home from Romania by car. We didn’t have an actual plan, so we ended up driving around through several Eastern European countries, doing nothing useful but nosing around here and there. The many, many kilometres we travelled were pleasant due to good Romanian cigarettes (?!) and the music from the only 2 CD’s I had put in my luggage before we left: Moon Safari by Air (mutual favourite song back then: “Kelly watch the stars”) and Black Cherry. I remember that we played the song Black Cherry repeatedly the entire time we were in Budapest.

At the release of Head First I ordered the CD without having heard a single tone in advance. To be honest, it took some time for me to appreciate that album. Nevertheless I had already become so addicted to Goldfrapp that I was planning to go to their gig in Brussels, but I hesitated too long, and it was sold out by the time I wanted to buy tickets. Damn. But now there is Tales of Us. Boy, what a great album it is!! Can’t stop listening to it day and night. I now have a ticket to the gig in Amsterdam on the 21st of October. I had invited the same friend I was with in Romania to come with me. He would have wanted to come with me very much, but his wife is expecting their first child on the 18th. Well priorities first, of course. So now I am going to my first live performance of Goldfrapp all by my self. It feels a little bit awkward doing it alone, but I am sure I would blame myself afterwards if I wouldn’t go. Can’t wait!!!!

@The_Carpathian: indeed it is nice to read this thread, and find out all the different stories!

Post edited by Jeronimooo at 2013-09-21 09:38:22
  • Well, you can blame David Bowie for my Goldfrapp obsession. He mentioned, quite off the cuff, that he was listening to Felt Mountain the week it was released and anytime Mr B mentions someone I always check them out as he does have rather good musical taste.I called my local record store and they were already sold out with more coming, that same week they were on Conan O'Brien and performed Utopia. I sat utterly transfixed. I had recorded the performance and watched it countless times that week or so waiting to hear that FM was back in stock, which I did, and I've been hooked on Goldfrapp ever since.

• I dont remember. But. I think it was cause of supernature. And white horse. Virgin records megastore. Nyc.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!