Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Goldfrapp Live in NYC September 10th, 2013.
  • 220 Comments sorted by
  • Here's the first lot of images I have managed to find http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/alison-goldfrapp-performs-in-concert-at-beacon-theatre-on-news-photo/180275896

anyone else came across any or press reviews, better still your own pics and dare I say it videos? ;)

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • ... a GREAT evening !
    After security check the staff people gently welcomed us and indicated us our seat. Many people beautifully dressed, women in particular, as for a special evening. 
    The venue was beautiful: statues, mural paintings, a big chandelier in the hall, golden surfaces everywhere.
    A female couple, fiddle and guitar, played some original songs and some covers before the show, mainly in spanish.
    The group appeared on stage as usual, with Alison as last, under the applauses. Dressed in black as in Manchester she said "Hello", and then Jo started, two times due to some problem I haven't understood. All the songs of "Tales of us" has been performed, but not Thea. After Alvar I've seen Alison saying "no" to Angie, don't know if it is related with it.
    Lot of nice moments during the entire album execution, my preferred has been during Drew, Alvar, Simone, Stranger and Clay, but every song was wonderful. Alison often explained something about what has inspired her when writing the lyrics, before Annabel she said it comes from a work of Kathleen Winther "that should be here somewhere", I saw some movement in the audience, but I haven't saw her. After the explanation of Clay someone in the audience shouted his approval, and Alison replied too.
    This first part has been done really well, with very good voice ranging from the most delicate parts to the strongest ones, with her precision in delivering the notes that I've always admired, and was enough to justify the ticket price, but in the second part, with material from Seventh tree and Felt mountain, Alison decided to show us what she can do in terms of power, and the performance became absolutely impressive. During A&E she fired into the microphone an high note that brought the audio equipments to their extreme limits, and from more than one feet of distance.
    Lovely head was done as in 2010, with an almost violent use of the second microphone, much stronger than the studio recording.
    Will was on stage during the second part, she has called him "Mr Will Gregory want you join us ?", and he walked in with a big applause of the audience.
    Before the last song (if I remember well) Alison introduced the group one by one: Angie, Davide, Alex, Charlie and Seb, is the first time that it happens this year.
    At the end all people standing, it was really deserved.
    Unforgettable evening, thanks Goldfrapp

I've written too much as always, blablabla ... sorry !
  • Thanks for the review, and yes, Kathleen Winter was there, as she tweeted about it. :)
  • ^
    WHO????? :-/
  • No, you did not write too much!  Thank you for that!  So, it sounds like the crowd was good?
  • yes, very good audience, after Lovely head there was so loud applauses that Alison put two fingers in her ears !
  • I haven't seen Kathleen, she deserved an hand shake 
  • Thanks giancarlo, glad you had a great night!

^
    WHO????? :-/

The woman who wrote the book 'annabel'

• Giancario gives a good review.  I drove down from Boston just for the show (and I'll say again - a Tues. night in NYC does NOT a US tour make -LOL.  Let's hope for more next year.).  Terrific, understated performance. As others have pointed out, all of Tales of Us (except Thea - sadly), followed by 7 from Felt Mt. and 7th Tree.  The album is just gorgeous, and was performed brilliantly.  Couple other notes:  The Beacon is a great theater, and the crowd was very receptive.  There were at the start of the show, signed posters for sale ($30).  When I looked they said "only 25 left!"  By intermission they were gone.  Basically it was the album cover, with signatures at the bottom. I wonder if it's the same as will come with the Deluxe box?

Anyway - a magical night.  I could have used one or two Oooh-La-La or Strict Machine 'rockers' to end the evening, and see the band rip it up a bit, but maybe it would not have fit. This was the 'trip hop' Goldfrapp - start to finish. Interesting that all songs were either TOU, FM or ST.  I was in the 2nd row and have decent video of Paper Bag - not sure how to post it. (Will probably put it on YouTube and post the link here).  Couple OK pics too - the lighting was so muted the whole night it was really kind of hard to see anything in too much detail.  Allison never really strayed too much from her center mic - just an impossibly thin, glamorous Garbo-esque whisper in black flowing pant suit, blowing gently by the fan at the front of the stage.  Hypnotic.  Again - I would have liked to have seen some colored lights and a bit of something a bit more upbeat to end things, but overall a tremendous evening.

• @ping :-)

@DEmerson in Somerset house and at the Lovebox they had very nice light/laser special effects, together with Strict machine/Train/Ooh la la songs, may be they'll do they again
    Post edited by Giancarlo at 2013-09-11 11:08:25
  • i recorded audio of the show. definitely not HQ, but sounds good. 

• @Giancarlo & @DEmerson thank you for your detailed reviews!  The Beacon sounds like a beautiful venue.

@Giancarlo have you been to all their latest shows :O

@DEmerson I love how you describe Alison on stage, she really is SO petite isn't she??

Hmmmm if those posters were $30 they were a lot cheaper than MIF, weren't they £30 @Carpy??  I didn't buy one at MIF but I am still hoping the one in the boxset is different.  
  • Good read there. So there was a poster on sale. Think i will try and get one. Any help in getting me one ?.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • i recorded audio of the show. definitely not HQ, but sounds good. 

Very listenable, thanks! If the setlist above is correct though missing Clowns but no big deal, it's really nice to hear anything :)
  • Oh thank you! I've also seen on instagram the lovely pictures that fans have taken with Alison, how lucky!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!