Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
'Performer As Curator' - Alison curating Manchester exhibition.
  • 132 Comments sorted by
  • I've just looked on their website and the shop sells Mausmats. Get it?
    Tumbleweed
  • Full pressie embargoed this morning,

Alison Goldfrapp’s artistic inspirations explored in new, personally curated exhibition at The Lowry

·       Internationally renowned musician Alison Goldfrapp takes the lead in the first Performer as Curatorexhibition series presented by The Lowry, Salford, Greater Manchester, UK

·       Her exhibition of painting, photography, illustration and film drawn from national and international collections opens in October 2013 

·       Drawing strongly on fairy tale imagery and subversive storytelling, the exhibited works will offer unique insight into the her artistic vision

An exhibition curated by the elusive, enigmatic and uncompromisingly glamorous musician and style icon,Alison Goldfrapp will open at The Lowry, Salford Quays on Sat 19 October 2013. The performer will give the public a rare opportunity to explore some of her personal inspirations through the painters, film makers, illustrators and photographers who have shaped her own inimitable artistic vision.

Alison Goldfrapp has enjoyed international acclaim following a string of worldwide hits, including Strict Machine,Ooh La LaLovely Head and Utopia in a career spanning 14 years. In addition to her critical and commercial success, Goldfrapp’s reputation for spell-binding live performance and original costume designs – coupled with her unwillingness to allow public intrusion into her private life - have cemented her reputation as one of pop music’s most intriguing stars.

not much to say over at nowness.com
  • This diverse and high profile selection of works will portray the artist’s fascination in the darker side of fairy tales and folklore through traditional and contemporary artworks by internationally renowned artists such asMarcel DzamaJohn Stezaker,  Leonora CarringtonJan Pienkowski and Lotte Reiniger. Goldfrapp, who graduated from art school while writing and performing music, also art directs all things visual for the band. The exhibition explores the themes of transformation, metamorphosis and identity that often recur within traditional fairy tales and that have been represented within works of art for centuries.

Launching an annual exhibition series titled Performer as Curator; The Lowry has hand-picked Goldfrapp to be the very first performer to take over the galleries. Aiming to bridge the gap between the performing and visual arts by engaging visitors with the inspirations of successful and critically acclaimed performers, the musician’s trailblazing exhibition will gather pieces of art from collections around the world.

Michael Simpson, Head of Visual Art and Engagement at the Lowry said: “The Lowry is a unique venue that combines major theatres and galleries under one roof, and we value working with dancers, musicians and actors in our galleries, and artists in our theatres.  Alison Goldfrapp was a natural first choice for us, given her remarkable synthesis of music and visual imagery.  This is an exciting new venture for us and there are more collaborations in the pipeline”.

The news of Goldfrapp’s landmark exhibition in Salford follows from the release of the brand new Goldfrapp album Tales Of Us, released on Mute on Mon 9 September 2013.

Alison Goldfrapp: Performer as Curator

Sat 19 October 2013 – Sun 2 March 2014

The Lowry, Salford Quays

FREE

www.thelowry.com

ENDS

Notes to Editors

Performer as Curator: Alison Goldfrapp continues The Lowry’s commitment to exhibitions that demonstrate the relationships between the performing and visual arts. The exhibition follows the success of recent exhibitions, including Developing: Photographs by Mary McCartney, Peter Blake and Pop Music, celebrating the Godfather of Pop Art’s relationship with music, Warhol and the Diva exploring the American artist’s portraits of stage and screen icons and The House of Annie Lennox that offered insight into the image and passions of the singer. The Lowry hosts a year-round programme of exhibitions as well as drama, dance, comedy and music across its three theatres.

Gallery Information:

The Lowry, Pier 8, Salford Quays M50 3AZ 

Information & Box Office Telephone 0843 2086005 

www.thelowry.com

Galleries open every day 11am – 5pm (10am – 5pm on Saturdays) Admission to the Galleries is FREE. On arrival, visitors need an admission ticket from the Galleries Desk.

not much to say over at nowness.com
  • I've just looked on their website and the shop sells Mausmats. Get it?
    Tumbleweed

Love it :))

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • WOW, Mause is such a sell out
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Am I reading right that it's October 19th 2013 to March 2nd 2014?

Yeah, that's a big window of opportunity! :) But will Alison herself attend at all?
  • Am I reading right that it's October 19th 2013 to March 2nd 2014?

Yeah, that's a big window of opportunity! :) But will Alison herself attend at all?

Well volunteered for tweeting her and asking her =D>
  • I can't see giving a lecture to open the exhibition
  • ^ I know, unlikely she'd appear.

I'd still like to go, but last time I went to Manchester it cost me £175 in travel costs - not cheap!

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-05 12:21:34
  • Not bragging or anything but it will cost me 4 quid for a day rider. I am going.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • I've got connections at the venue, so I could find out if Alison is attending the launch. This is called ligging, isn't it?

Post edited by Sparky at 2013-09-05 12:29:24

• ping said:

^ fancy another trip to Manchester?!

Tempting.
  • Have convinced the other half that a day in Manchester is incredibly necessary.  Hurrah! haha. 
  • I haven't listened yet but apparently there's someone from the Lowry discussing Alison exhibition here 1hr 44 mins
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/episode/b039jp8h/Shaun_Keaveny_06_09_2013

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!