Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tales of Us: Rank the Songs (Best to Worst)
  • 78 Comments sorted by
  • Drew is lovely. A real classic. Cannot comment and judge on the others yet. I will be back on this thread on Sept the 9th. I do not normally wish my life away but, Come on. I cannot wait.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • my 1 fav is Thea followed by Drew.. and haven't heard the rest enough to judge. 

• That is very odd as I am now in the position that they are the two that I have heard. Someone at work said 'Oh listen to this it is so good' and then started playing it on their phone..... >:/ I was holding out until the release but at least it was low quality and it still sounded wonderful...I shall not say any more and I cannot possibly rate them yet.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Pssst...
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • The only one I've heard is Drew.  I'm much surprised that it is, as yet, possible to hear any of the others.  Surely the album isn't going to be released for ages yet.
  • Pet said:

The only one I've heard is Drew.  I'm much surprised that it is, as yet, possible to hear any of the others.  Surely the album isn't going to be released for ages yet.

I just checked on Amazon, the album is to be released on September 9th.  Still about two and a half weeks to go.
  • Pet said:

The only one I've heard is Drew.  I'm much surprised that it is, as yet, possible to hear any of the others.  Surely the album isn't going to be released for ages yet.

The album leaked about a month ago, unfortunately.
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Joey said:

Pet said:

The album leaked about a month ago, unfortunately.

I didn't hear about that.  It is unfortunate.  If it was leaked illegally, I definitely wouldn't have listened, anyway.
  • I am actually a bit narked that I heard Thea to be honest as it wasn't my choice and I had no idea until the vocals kicked in but it happened and they prob thought they were doing me a favour. Hey ho.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Waa waaaaaaa!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Waaa indeed?!?!?
  • It's even more difficult than Felt Mountain to rank the songs... It's a heartache, I swear ! Let's give it a try...

01. Jo
    02. Simone
    03. Stranger
    04. Thea
    05. Drew
    06. Laurel
    07. Clay
    08. Alvar
    09. Annabel
    10. Ulla
  • 1. Clay (simply stunning, plus I haven't heard Alison sing quite like this before) 

2. Jo (gorgeous song, so mellow and again, I love Alison's layered vocals)

3. Simone (very mysterious!)

4. Annabel (love the lyrics and again, the vocals)

5. Thea (its like every Goldfrapp song combined into one!!, no idea whats it's about though!)

6. Drew (Lost bond theme? Again, simply gorgeous and those strings!!)

7. Laurel (it's like lost Felt Mountain track!!, plus reminds me of some of the Black Cherry B-sides)

8. Stranger (I love Alison's vocals on this one and the mystery of the song)

9. Ulla (I like this one a lot, but I don't play it as much, I think its the pace of the song..)

10. Alvar (unfortunately the only song on TOU I find a little flat, it takes a bit too long to start IMO, reminds me of Little Bird)

TBH there isn't much between the first 8 songs, I love them almost equally, its just Ulla that I haven't warmed to as much and Alvar that i'm not as fond of

• Snowball said:

10. Alvar (unfortunately the only song on TOU I find a little flat, it takes a bit too long to start IMO, reminds me of Little Bird)

TBH there isn't much between the first 8 songs, I love them almost equally, its just Ulla that I haven't warmed to as much and Alvar that i'm not as fond of

It's interesting to find an opinion that is the complete polar opposite of mine. I have a feeling that it will become my favourite song on the album.  It grew on me a little more each time I heard it live.  At Somerset House I was actually excited that it was included in the set list.

I am definitely not the biggest fan of Little Bird and I'm not a fan of guitar based music either but Alvar managed to cut through all my prejudices.  We obviously all have different tastes and opinions which is one of the reasons that this board is so interesting.  However, I really hope that some day you'll appreciate the crescendo and not find it boring.  I'm planning to play it on the loudest hi-fi system I can!  :))
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!