Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tales of Us: Rank the Songs (Best to Worst)
  • 78 Comments sorted by
  • Come on guys. Annabel is quite low in yours ?????. My fave.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • omg Alvar live was amazing......blew away any Cocteau Twins show i've seen (if you're going to compare)....i don't think we can even do this with this album.....every song is perfect 
  • Cocteau Twins are a studio band. I'd say that so are Goldfrapp in general, except fot ToU. This needs to be performed live with orchestra. The only thing I'd have done differently is add a tympani and (French) horn section in a couple parts.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Were!
  • Yes....were....sniff.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Will be posting my impressions soon but my list atm:

1. Stranger
    2. Drew
    3. Thea
    4. Laurel
    5. Clay
    6. Simone
    7. Alvar
    8. Annabel
    9. Jo
    10. Ulla
  • cant agree about the cocteaus being just a studio band,seen them live 20 odd times down the years ,sometimes they were good ,more often than not they were spellblinding particularly around the time of heaven or las vegas. Saw liz fraizer in concert last year in bath sounded good as ever
  • Looking something like

Thea
    Alvar
    Laurel
    Stranger
    Clay
    Jo
    Ulla
    Drew
    Simone
    Annabel

This is really hard for me as I LOVE all the songs, Annabel is maybe one of the most lyrically interesting but is the least musically interesting for me. I am basing my loves on the music right now as I haven't found a good opportunity to really sit down and focus on the lyrics, if I was basing my preferences purely on the lyrics it would probably look differently.

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-09-12 18:34:59
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Looks like i am the odd one out. Annabel is my fave and one of you have it last. Shows even fellow fans views differ.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Clay
    Jo
    Thea
    Alvar
    Laurel
    Drew
    Ulla
    Simone
    Annabel
    Stranger

Although bottom 5 changes all the time - and I do love all of them.
    Post edited by alex_f at 2013-09-12 20:03:43
    Formerly known as alex_t.
  • This is kind of a hard album to rank I think... It's so consistent tonally, and it's more of a whole album than a collection of songs, yanno? However I'll give it a bash.

1. Annabel - Creepy, but stunning. Pitchfork didn't give the album a fantastic review (which I strongly disagree with), but they were spot on with describing this track as "uncommonly haunting". It's so stripped back, and it gives Alison's voice so much room to breathe. Easily ranks up with along Utopia and Little Bird as my favourite song from Goldfrapp.

2. Drew - Sounds the most like "Felt Mountain meets Seventh Tree", the way the whole album was hyped. Pretty much tied with Annabel, I only put Annabel first because I love how bare her voice is there. Drew is a different beast I think, more intense and passionate. Those strings give me the chills.

3. Alvar - Love how the initial strumming sounds so out of tune. Which is a weird thing to point out I guess, but still, nice touch. Love the length of this track.

4. Laurel - Alison's lower registers have never sounded better. Yummy.

5. Jo - Reminds me of Some People, oddly. Excellent intro to the album, that initial synth rush is so pretty! The lyrics "Run, you better run, etc." are my favourite on the album.

6. Clay - When I first heard it I thought maybe it was sliiiiightly too umptempo and sounded too much like a HI-NRG melody that belonged on Head First. Then it grew and me, and now I love it. The lyrics are stunning.

7. Thea - Nice, and again feels a little Head First-ish, but in a good way. Doesn't interrupt the flow of the album as much as I thought it would. Having said that, I can barely remember the melody. Maybe it'll grow on me more.

8. Ulla - Lovely, and feels like a nice comedown after the passion of Drew's more intense moments. Works better in context of the album than as an individual song maybe.

9. Stranger - Pretty ordinary, sounds like a track that didn't make Seventh Tree. Pretty but a little... dull.

10. Simone - I like how it picks up the pace at the end, and the guitar playing is pretty lush, but again, a little unmemorable. 

• am I the only one that loves Simone?

No not at all :)

I still cannot rank them though. It would be like having all your friends in a room, there may be something that irks you at times about them but when it comes down to it you love them the same as they all have their own story to tell.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Cervus said:

I still cannot rank them though.

I couldn't even imagine.
  • It feels wonderfully refreshing to not have 'favourites'
  • Feels like i am the only one who loves Annabel.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!