Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
How did you get into Goldfrapp?
  • 163 Comments sorted by
  • I first heard Goldfrapp in Nintendo adverts back in 2003 or 2004. Train and Strict Machine I believe. Fast forward to 2005: I had signed up for Pandora and discovered Goldfrapp's Strict Machine from my Garbage radio. I had thought what an odd choice for a song selection, but I kept listening to it and realized I've listened to it before and immediately loved it. I started listening to more Goldfrapp and bought Black Cherry and Supernature when it came out in the US in March 2006. Felt Mountain a bit later in June 2006. Since then, I've bought new Goldfrapp albums on day one. I love all of them except for Head First.
  • folklore said:

Then I heard SM on the radio, loved it found out it was Goldfrapp,

That was exactly the same as me. I heard Strict Machine on my car stereo on a Saturday afternoon (Jo Whiley?) whilst  was driving back from a synth shop in Bristol.  I then went to see Massive Attack in Queens Square (Bristol) on 25th August 2003 and Goldfrapp were supporting.  On hearing Utopia live I bought Felt Mountain a few days later and have been fan ever since.

Ironically I used to think that the lyrics were "I'm in love with a STRIP machine".  :))
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • ^LOL
    i had that with Fly Me Away always fort it was fly me away on a little bird but it's actally on a aeroplane...
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Well you got your Little Bird in the end.  :)
  • yep true could of been a sign? who knows ;)
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • This sounds like "how did you get into occultism?" Well, I was lost in a forest when a deer came to me and talked me into worshiping the dark lord...

Uhm... I was switching channels and suddenly I saw Train live, and I was hooked since the beggining by the beat and, I must say, Alison's hips moves, that was very mesmerizing.
    I'm a fan since the Black Cherry era :D
  • MrTemper said:

I must say, Alison's hips moves, that was very mesmerizing.

I think that she gained a lot of fans that way - me included!  :D
  • Back in late summer or early autumn of 2000 my boyfriend at the time worked in a record store (back when we still had those in every city in the U.S.) It was a Friday night and we had plans with a couple of our dearest friends to indulge in some hallucinogenic substances...anyways, he brought a promo copy of Felt Mountain home and we loaded up the boom box with batteries, dropped our tabs and took off thru the woods on a mission to the north fork of the American River in Northern California.

Built a bonfire, climbed trees, stared at the stars and listened to Felt Mountain on repeat all night. I remember all four of us ended up swimming naked in the river at dawn and as the sun came over the mountain and lit up the valley I realized that we weren't actually mermaids (or mermen as it were)...I've always wondered why sunrise ends up shattering most of my LSD/mushroom fantasies.
    @-)

It's been years since I've "partied" like that but Felt Mountain still gets weekly plays in my house. In fact it's tied with Bjork's Homogenic as my favorite album ever.

I love all of Goldfrapp's albums (particularly Seventh Tree) but Felt Mountain has yet to be surpassed in my opinion, although I'm hoping that Tales Of Us will give it a go.

hunter

P.S. Thanks Matt, wherever you may be, for bringing Goldfrapp home that night and into my life forever.
    Post edited by hunter at 2013-08-11 13:13:00
  • Was just sitting at my PC and had Bbc's Jools Holland on the telly in the background.. suddenly when 'Black Cherry' came on... i looked up in amazement and saw this beautiful woman with amazing vocals and personality... have been hooked ever since.
  • Loving your scene-setting, Hunter - you really get s sense of how the music & the night merged and left such an impression.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • A couple of friends said= CHECK ALISON OUT. SHE IS HOT. I SOOOO AGREE.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Thanks The_Carpathian.

It really was a fantastic night for many reasons but mostly because we had such a perfect soundtrack (though I started skipping 'Oompa Radar' by the third or fourth spin because it was scaring a friend).

I love how music can soundtrack perfect moments in life and how you can bring those memories back by hearing specific songs or albums. I've had many over the last 13 years to other Goldfrapp tracks/albums but that particular one is at the top because it was my introduction to Goldfrapp.

I forgot to mention I ended up with a bad case of poison oak covering most of my body for the week after that night. At one point during the evening, my best friend Autumn (the one who was scared by 'Oompa Radar') and I were scavenging for more firewood and somehow ended up hanging from the branches of a giant Live Oak tree that was growing out of the side of a cliff. Next thing I know we're both free-falling 15 or 20 feet and landed in a tangled mess of arms and legs, laughing hysterically in a giant bush.

Guess what kind of bush it was? X( X( X(

hunter
    Post edited by hunter at 2013-08-11 10:29:58
  • hunter said:

and listened to Felt Mountain on repeat all night

Mine was Spirit,  "Twelve dreams of Doctor Sardonicus" and astral projection...
  • It was in the Black Cherry era when I was getting into Goldfrapp. I saw the Train video clip on MTV (Holland) and it was such a nice and sexy video. The music was great to ofcourse, I was really into electro music around then (and still I am). Actually I already knew Utopia, but around that time I was more into Trance and Techno music so I couldn't really bother. I just realized it was Goldfrapp when I bought Felt Mountain after Black Cherry and heard the song again. It took me a couple of years to get used to the music on Felt Mountain, but now it is one of my most favourite Goldfrapp albums.
    Post edited by bRuud83 at 2013-08-13 10:00:53
  • ^ that's so cool :)
    "its MY favourite song"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!