Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 139 Comments sorted by
  • Concerto for Harp  / Gliere

'' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • I still find it bizarre that as one gets older there's something about classical that clicks. Never understood why but I wonder if it's because of both the space it holds and the distillation of emotion which we understand more by then?
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I've always partaken, as I studied classical music throughout my youth. My taste, however, has broadened over the years.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Yes, Mum really enjoyed all kinds of music but when she was at the piano it was always classical so that is what I was brought up on...the fact that my sis is ten years older than me meant there was always other music to listen to as well so I can thank them both. Brother was away at university and Dad doesn't really 'do' music as such so their tastes were not an influence.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Oh, I've always heard classical through my life but it's only at this end of it that it kinda made sense in more than just a musical way? Hard to explain.
  • Hard to explain yes, however you made perfect sense. :)
  • It's likely that the typical adult brain is able to process music in a more holistic way than the young brain. The wiring in our brains changes as we age; as a result, we tend to see big pictures more readily, and we make connections across disciplines with relative ease.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-08-09 05:28:16
  • I prefer the original form of the quartet to the lush orchestral arrangement. The simplicity and openness of the four strings whispers a near resignation to loneliness, but by the time they strike the screaming double stops, it has slowly escalated to a gut-wrenching plea for love. Yeah, fuck that pandering Adagio from the war movies!

Post edited by iuventus at 2013-08-09 05:41:00
  • On the lighter side... The best recording of this is by Takacs Quartet; however, I couldn't find it on YouTube.

• I love this man almost as much as I love...well, it doesn't matter.

• Mahler hadn't really been on my horizon but thanks to Wiiiiiiiiill's 6 Music interview I figure I need to get his 5th. What they played was pretty excellent and right up my classical alley.
  • Mahler is a mess. A glorious mess, but a mess nonetheless.
  • @iuventus He is very expressive in his playing indeed. not to mention excellent.
  • Katherine Jenkins Live at the royal albert hall london in november/december this year

Tickets from £195!!!!!pp..... :-O
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • iuventus said:

Mahler is a mess. A glorious mess, but a mess nonetheless.

Actually even more intrigued now. Will certainly have to grab something and see what transpires.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!