Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 139 Comments sorted by
  • If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Possibly the best American symphony; also prominent in the soundtrack to Alien.

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • the first night of the proms starts on friday bbc one at 8pm....
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • I'm afraid my tastes are not very sophisticated yet.  Mostly, just little ditties as I study.  But, I totally adore Beethoven's "Fuhr Elise".  It has to be one of the most beautiful love songs ever written.  And, here is the thing that blows me away about classical compositions, where "Fuhr Elise" is just one example of so many.  How the heck do they portray something (another little ditty, as an example, is "Flight of the Lonely Beetle") so clearly that I can either envision it ("Beetle") or feel it like a hammer ("Elise") without a single word spoken.  Just awesome!.
  • Rachmaninoff - Cello Sonata in G Minor.

'' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Dream of Gerontius

Officium defunctorum

Post edited by Cervus at 2013-08-02 16:39:07
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • Cantata Profana

Diana Damrau -Queen of the Night...Out of this world..............I wouldn't take a Haribo Tangfastic if my life depended on it!

Post edited by Cervus at 2013-08-03 01:58:16
  • I watched Spanish dancers dance to a performance of Ravel's Bolero at the Royal Albert Hall. Fantastic :D
  • Cervus said:

I wouldn't take a Haribo Tangfastic if my life depended on it!

Why would you want to take sweets to the opera?  :P
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • On the original instruments.

• ^^^^ That is stunning......I know it is not in the same league but I have one of these (it is actually the same one I used to play in junior school) I went back years later to find it shoved in a cupboard as it had been replaced with plastic ones. The horror!
    It is such a beautiful thing.

Post edited by Cervus at 2013-08-05 02:53:23
  • I inherited a couple beautiful wooden recorders from an elderly lady I cared for in her last years. I can play the flute and clarinet with basic proficiency, but I can't seem to play a decent melody on their simple country cousin.
  • A brilliant scene: the juxtaposition of the man's vulgar nature with the tenderness of the piece. I wonder, though, whether or not the man was as much of a beast as they portray him.

• Good idea for discussion Carpy, and great to see Arvo Pärt on your list.

Anything by Dustin O'Halloran, especially his 2nd album 'Piano Solos Volume 2' & also 'Lumiere'.

Nils Frahm, especially his 'Screws' album (so called due to his falling from a bunk bed and breaking his right-hand wrist, requiring screws to heal it, becoming frustrated at not being able to play with both hands, he composed & recorded this album solely with his left hand - genius)

Hauschka, master proponent of the 'prepared piano' (household items, i.e. beer bottle lids, fixed to certain wires inside the piano) especially 'Ferndorf', 'Foreign Landscapes' or 'Small Pieces'.

Post edited by pascho at 2013-08-08 06:17:52

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!