Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • The first had a cat and the third one a dog.
    Blame the cat-lovers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"

• The first one had darkness, tunnels & Aliens and everybody loved it but the third one had...er....darkness, tunnels & Aliens AND giant fans!

Has to be win-win, surely?

It had a 2hr bad hair day and no Brian Blessed .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Dreeke said:

The first had a cat and the third one a dog.
    Blame the cat-lovers.

Hahaha!  I've a friend that has worked in publishing, written books and, well, basically immersed himself in books.  He was telling me that, if you want to sell a book, all you have to do is put a cat on the cover and in the title.  Done deal.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-07-08 08:42:52
  • "Alien 3" last week - the Assembly Cut. I love Alien 3, and I will defend its merits and its superiority to "Aliens" until my dying breath.

I do love both 1 and 2 but the odd thing is that I've probably seen 3 the most times. I honestly can't see why so many people bitch about it!

The first one had darkness, tunnels & Aliens and everybody loved it but the third one had...er....darkness, tunnels & Aliens AND giant fans!

Has to be win-win, surely?

Exactly!!!

Don't get me wrong, Aliens is a great film and I do watch it a lot - but it's a shame that by the time they'd designed the uniforms, the fabby sci-fi weaponry, and all the military buggies and ships and all that, they only remembered the actual aliens when they had 8p of budget left. And I do not like the fact that the Alien went from near-invincible in the first film, to something that could be dispatched by a recoilless rifle. PLEASE.

As far as I can ascertain, the big bitches about Alien 3 are as follows: SPOILER ALERT if you haven't seen it

(1) Newt and Hicks are dead. Well, so what?
    (2) Characters go missing for no reason (especially in the second half). Use your imagination for once. They didn't go to Disneyworld. IT got them. We don't always need to see it.
    (3) The film is a mess. Is it?? There's storylines. There are characters. There are several plans and strategies. The sets and backgrounds are blindingly rich and amazing. One is made to care, even about poor Golic.
    (4) The CGI is appalling. Well............ okay it could have been better, but in 1991 it was in its absolute infancy. And there isn't THAT much of it, for goodness' sake. Tell yourself it's dark in there.

The bottom line is, all those pot-smoking giggling rich kids over in the States wanted Aliens Part 2, and what they got instead was an art-house horror film with a strong European vogue. Their opinions were screamed the loudest, so everyone got on the bandwagon and pilloried it. I don't remember a time where the opinion of a bunch of skater kids with credit cards and no imagination mattered more than anyone else's.

Also, it's the highest-grossing film in the series. So eat that, skater boys.
  • Dreeke said:

Blame the cat-lovers.

In the Assembly Cut, the Thing gestates in an ox. In one of the original scripts, it was supposed to be a hyper-religious mediaeval-style commune on a wooden planet, and they used oxen for transportation and food - it's a leftover from that script. They changed it to a dog for the cinema release because the whole ox thing seemed a bit daft after changing it to a prison, but I like the ox better. AND the abattoir set is an art-deco phenomenon, never seen in the theatrical version.

• Dreeke said:

Blame the cat-lovers.

In the Assembly Cut, the Thing gestates in an ox. In one of the original scripts, it was supposed to be a hyper-religious mediaeval-style commune on a wooden planet, and they used oxen for transportation and food - it's a leftover from that script. They changed it to a dog for the cinema release because the whole ox thing seemed a bit daft after changing it to a prison, but I like the ox better. AND the abattoir set is an art-deco phenomenon, never seen in the theatrical version.

I dont know if they included it on the dvd , they originally released a totally different trailer for the film  , they shaved their heads for the script you note above.... and then rewrote the scripts making the hair cut moot . 
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I enjoyed the original 1980s V the mini-series, the full series they made after that is a bit dire and I've not seen the remake, it was all good fun to me anyway
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Sartori said:

I dont know if they included it on the dvd , they originally released a totally different trailer for the film  , they shaved their heads for the script you note above.... and then rewrote the scripts making the hair cut moot . 

Ooooh. No, I have the Alien/Predator box set and it's a little low on extras. I wish I'd bought the Quadrilogy box set, that had goodies falling out of its bum.

Although the doctor does tell Ripley to shave her head because of the lice problem in the prison, it's clear (indirectly) that the inmates have shaved their head for religious reasons.
  • Just went out to watch Before Midnight.
    Great addition to the trilogy.
    Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke have such great chemistry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • just finished watching dune
    whispered internal monologue a go-go!
  • I've just watched Black Swan, I loved it!
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • "Alien 3" last week - the Assembly Cut. I love Alien 3, and I will defend its merits and its superiority to "Aliens" until my dying breath.

The Assembly Cut of Alien 3 is my favourite Alien movie! Were you watching it on DVD or BluRay? For the BluRay they went back and finished the cut off properly, even getting the original actors in to ADR the lines that were off on the DVD, so it's a proper finished movie. The making of on the BluRay (only in the 6 disc set) is amazing too, they have 3 hour making ofs for each movie but Alien 3's is interesting because they go into just how many concepts they actually went through, and just how badly the production went wrong.

ickygerm said:

just finished watching dune
    whispered internal monologue a go-go!

Another one that gets a bad rep that i quite like! I haven't read the books though so maybe that's why i liked it so much.
    Post edited by rewak at 2013-07-13 16:31:02
  • rewak said:

Another one that gets a bad rep that i quite like! I haven't read the books though so maybe that's why i liked it so much.

i haven't read the book(s) either. i did find parts of it enjoyable, for sure. a lot of the visuals were pretty cool. still, i can see why it gets a bad rep - it's hard to follow, it's very oddly paced... it doesn't do a very good job of "storytelling" in general. it either needed to be far more streamlined, or go on much longer (like a miniseries or something). also the villains are all redheads(?!)
  • Not my usual type of film but my other half put on 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone' recently. I was quite pleasantly surprised
    Tears just started over you but I'm not over you...
    www.myspace.com/queenadreenauk
  • The Life of Oharu
    If I were dead, could I do this?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!