Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Entertain me! (the twisted & disturbing are welcome)
  • 1870 Comments sorted by
  • Glad you liked them Wt. As you can see, her work falls into 3 broad catorgories; Naturlaistic, Scripts and Koi.
    Scripts are only really done by commission now. Koi are very popular, as are the Naturistic.
    Gerald's from the Naturalistic range. One for Sorrow is also from there but is in a little sub sect Mrs T's been working on called 'Fairy Tales Stripped Bare'. This has 5, possibly more paintings in it, One for Sorrow, The Owl and the Pussycat, 3 Badgers, 4 and 20 Blackbirds and 5 Little Pigs. Each is a painting inspired by a fairytale or a nursery rhyme, but with a macabre twist, ( you guessed it, skulls or just parts of the animal concerned, as in One for Sorrow. not all finished yet but 3 are complete and the other two well under way. 4 & 20 is on the website, badgers is finished just wants uploading.
    Any other ideas for fairytales or nursery rhymes that have numbers of animals mentioned in the title?
    We have all the skulls and the Magpie wings, obviously ! Method painting !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-07-18 19:31:58
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 3 blind mice is an obvious one!
    And the 3 Bears!
    3 Billy Goats Gruff (or is it just "The Billy Goats Gruff?")
    The 7 Ravens/The 6 Swans(Grimm)
    The Twa Corbies comes in lots of versions - there must be a children's rhyme or song amongst them

I have always loved the Welsh tales contained in The Mabinogion. The oldest of them is the 10th century "Culhwch and Olwen", and it contains a gorgeous quest in which Culhwch has to seek the advice and help from a succession of animals - a Song Thrush, a Stag, an Owl, a Salmon, a she-wolf, some ants etc. I've always thought that if I could do some artwork, it would be based on that. In fact, I am just in the middle of reading someone's old MA thesis on "Animals in the Mabinogion", which is here
  • Too bad, that link doesn't seem to work in the U.S.  The description in Wikipedia sounds fascinating.  I guess I'll find the stories somehwere.
  • Found a great link.  I hope it's accurate.  I've always been fasciated by Wales.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/mab/

And, the dedication that was written for it by the author, Lady Guest.

TO IVOR AND MERTHYR.

My dear Children,
    Infants as you yet are, I feet that I cannot dedicate more fitly than
    to you these venerable relics of ancient lore, and I do so in the hope
    of inciting you to cultivate the Literature of "Gwyllt Walia," in whose
    beautiful language you are being initiated, and amongst whose free
    mountains you were born.
    May you become early imbued with the chivalric and exalted sense of
    honour, and the fervent patriotism for which its sons have ever been
    celebrated.
    May you learn to emulate the noble qualities of Ivor Hael, and the
    firm attachment to your Native Country, which distinguished that Ivor
    Back, after whom the elder of you was named.
    I am,

Your affectionate Mother,

C. E. GUEST.

Dowlais, August 29th, 1838.

• Too bad, that link doesn't seem to work in the U.S.  The description in Wikipedia sounds fascinating.  I guess I'll find the stories somehwere.

It looks really interesting Wt, and a possible source of further painting source material.
    WW. Try pasting this directly into your browser. It works my end lime this.

dspace.smu.ac.uk:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10875/478/SUSAN%20GARLICK%20-%20deleted%20copy%202.pdf?sequence=1
  • WW. Try pasting this directly into your browser. It works my end lime this.

dspace.smu.ac.uk:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10875/478/SUSAN%20GARLICK%20-%20deleted%20copy%202.pdf?sequence=1

Nope, thanks though.  It may also be that I don't accept cookies.  But, I think I'm okay with the one I found, unless someone tells me it's a crock (does that translate?).
  • Great link whisperit! (It works for me) I absolutely love stories about magical animals! It reminds me of a Tori Amos song- The Chase. It's about shapeshifting from the hunted into the hunter.
    http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/t/tori_amos/the_chase.html#!
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-07-19 09:16:51
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Mad Madam Mim vs. Merlin

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • WW- your link is good. Guest's translation is said to be technically pretty sound, even without the benefit of the scholarship from the last century. My love of the Mabinogion can be judged by the fact that I named my daughter after a character in one of the tales!

PG - good Tori Amos lyric. You probably know it's taken from a story in the Mabinogion - when Little Gwion is trying to escape from the claws of
    the witch, Ceridwen. He turns into a hare and she turns into a greyhound, he turns
    into a fish and she into an otter, him into a bird and her into a hawk.
    Finally he changes to a grain of wheat only to be eaten by Ceridwen's
    hen. However, there is a happy ending because the witch becomes pregnant
    as a result and a beautiful child is born. 

• whisperit said:

WW- your link is good. Guest's translation is said to be technically pretty sound, even without the benefit of the scholarship from the last century. My love of the Mabinogion can be judged by the fact that I named my daughter after a character in one of the tales!

Interesting, so far.
  • Yes, interesting whisperit. I didn't know the lyrics were directly related- but after reading your link that particular song popped into my head.

I read further-
    "Furious, Cerridwen chases Gwion through the seasons, changing forms and shapeshifting, until finally she swallows Gwion. She becomes pregnant, and nine months later she gives birth to Taliesin (“radiant brow”).
    Initially thinking to kill the child, she has a change of heart, and instead throws Taliesin into the sea. He is later rescued by the Celtic prince, Elffin, and becomes a great Welsh bard."
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Gosh!  Just finished "The Lady of the fountain" in the Mabinogian.  Great stuff!
  • I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Yeah LuDux. He's assisted in his operations by nurse Snip.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!