Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 100 Comments sorted by
  • This is the most amount of spam that i have seen since i joined the forum. For the final time, SOD OFF SPAMMERS.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • tweety said:

i really don't like goldfrapp98

Spambots are bad enough but poking two digital fingers up by including the name of the artist in their handle is just taking the mick!

Gone now, anyhoo [-(

{wipes unpleasant taste of chomped spam from mouth}
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • yay for Carpy! is there any rule against removing persistent offenders profiles from the forum?
    "its MY favourite song"
  • tweety said:

yay for Carpy! is there any rule against removing persistent offenders profiles from the forum?

When the spam goes, they go with it. Posts, profiles and all. Chomped to the bone.

(yes, I realised spam doesn't have bones - it was probably a badly chosen phrase!)
  • We have been deleting users - permanently. The spam engines seem to churn out new users/names though. Id hoped our prompt chomping might make them give up on this forum....
  • We have been deleting users - permanently. The spam engines seem to churn out new users/names though. Id hoped our prompt chomping might make them give up on this forum....

Yeah, I guess it all depends on the volume of them - if it picks up then we'll have to emply our digital doorman as discussed.

{crosses fingers but knows they'll probably keep on coming through}

Had a look at activity just now , from midnight until now (13.37) , we`ve had 18 new members who are spam monkies (not posting other than spam profiles) and this is 24/7 , the boards logistics are down the shitter for meaningful feedback for the band . Whilst the board (currently) only has 20 - 30ish people who post at all , any perceived drastic antispam measures aren`t really going to affect many .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • isn't there some form of protection we can use sartori?
    "its MY favourite song"
  •  My last sentence was written a bit cack handed , I meant that if new measures are brought in , only 20-30 people would be affected/inconvenienced if its another step (which I`d support) .
     I dislike coming across as negative but the mere presence of spam is miffifying to me , with respect to the band , its 2013 . Other bands have used cheap methods that have proven effective - allowing only certain email addresses (ie ban hotmail and disposable addresses for joining purposes) , I don`t know the true number of real members but again , other bands authorise each application before acceptance . There are squillions of ways to do it , but allowing spam monkies to even join let alone post skews any statistics the band can use for the forum . 

Post edited by Sartori at 2013-08-30 10:07:54
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I see what you're saying, Rob. But we thought we'd stick to brute force clobber 'em for now (it doesn't take long... about a minute each day) as it might put off would-be new members (and there are likely to be quite a few of those at the time of new album release) - if we introduce tedious join-up procedures.

But yeah, I agree it would be neater (and easier to determine the number of true members/fans) if we stopped the spamsters joining in the first place.

Anyone else got any views?

• It's only spam, it's not out of control, and we have two moderators in charge of deleting it. Pretty simple.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • oh. i was hoping we might deploy the sky shield. i mean, it will only block out the sun. permanently.
    "its MY favourite song"
  • I'll go with the flow on this , I just don't like the fact that the board relies on Elliot and Carpy logging to do something that shouldn't really need doing, while it's nothing to some, the band can't evade a perception of Spam Spam Spam on the board to anyone casually browsing pre-deletion. But, as you say Elliot better the devil we know at the moment given (hopefully) an influx of New peeps.

Of more concern is the fact that the board seems a bit tumbleweed at the moment, calm before the storm? (taking the point made by HJ on his "Please give me waking nightmares" thread)
  • ^ Yup, I also tried to initiate a bit of horseplay with the TOU comic strip thread, but only me and you contributed, I think. :(

Come on people, let your inventive side spill forth! (ooh-err)

• need me a man for the weekend, tall, thick, hairy in the right places, thick knob, and tou

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!