Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tales of Us: Rank the Songs (Best to Worst)
  • 78 Comments sorted by
  • Cervus said:

am I the only one that loves Simone?

No not at all :)

I still cannot rank them though. It would be like having all your friends in a room, there may be something that irks you at times about them but when it comes down to it you love them the same as they all have their own story to tell.

Simone is the track that most often pops into my head. I love it and I can see that in months from now, Simone, Lauren and Drew will be my most played tracks from the album.
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • This is quite difficult but I'l give it a go after living with the album for 5 days.
    Initially, I loved half of the album and thought the other half was a tad forgettable but that has completely changed with repeated listens. This is how my ranking stands at the minute but it will probably change.

1: Annabel
    2: Thea
    3: Drew
    4: Clay
    5: Jo
    6: Alvar
    7: Ulla
    8: Laurel
    9: Stranger
    10: Simone

The first 5 in my ranking were the 'instant' tracks which I loved straight away and still do, but the other 5 are growing on each listen and although Simone is last, I still think its stunning.
  • Well done Clay.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • I just cant separate the album down to individual tracks,to me their are elements of a whole,there are some I love more than others,but its a tapestry.....aint it great that someone still produces this wonderful stuff
  • Well, this is my first revision (after four days):

1. Drew [10/10]
    2. Laurel [10/10]
    3. Simone [10/10]
    4. Thea [10/10]
    5. Stranger [10/10]
    6. Jo [9/10]
    7. Annabelle [9/10]
    8. Clay [9/10]
    9. Alvar [7/10]
    10. Ulla [7/10]
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • 1. Jo
    2. Thea
    3. Annabelle
    The rest I haven't decided yet (got the CD only today).
  • Nice to see my fave is 3rd on your list. Hi see you are new to the forum.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Yes! Have been listening to Goldfrapp for a long time, though...
  • Same here. Feels as though i have missed out on discussing all things Frapp. There was a message board going for ages b4 this one. Anyway we are here now. Like i have already said, I am as addicted to this board as i am obsessed with Frapp oh and Liverpool FC. Back to the subject..... TOU Rank the songs.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Wow, can't believe how low down Alvar is in many people's lists.

This is, for me, the most beautiful album that Goldfrapp have brought out... even more poignant in the Autumn season it has come out of... I can see it meaning even more as the season really takes hold.

From fave to least fave, for me it would go:

Alvar
    Thea
    Jo
    Ulla
    Simone
    Annabel
    Clay
    Drew
    Laurel
    Stranger... granted, this could change over time, as will be the case with many listeners. 
    Post edited by Iwannalife_93 at 2013-09-14 17:59:22
  • 01. ALVAR - Already on my Top 10 list of favorite Goldfrapp songs of all time. Everything about this song is perfect. That guitar is hauntingly evocative, and coupled with Alison's reversed vocal the result is icy and otherworldly. More than anything else on this album, I'm surprised by the mixed reaction to this song. Boring? Really? Absolutely not.

02. DREW - It was the first song we heard, and it's still so stirring and beautiful.

03. JO - Amazing opener that succinctly sets the tone of the album. Every bit as unsettling and perfect as "Things That Scare Me" from Neko Case's Blacklisted.

04. STRANGER - Like a scaled down "Utopia," this song feels like the most obvious homage to Felt Mountain.

05. ANNABEL - Haunting, heartbreaking song made even more masterful by that glorious video.

06. THEA - Like a she-wolf howling at the moon over a pulsating, organic rhythm

07. ULLA - Another absolutely beautiful song. My favorite lyrics from the album.

08. CLAY - Tied with "Number 1" as my favorite Goldfrapp closing song. The theme of being thankful for an experience even though the loss of it has destroyed you moves me to tears.

09. LAUREL - Completely film noir. Melancholy and evocative, like a doomed femme fatale.

10. SIMONE - The story behind this song reminds me of Mildred Pierce. It's at the bottom of my list, but I still really like it.
    Post edited by Joey at 2013-09-14 20:14:03
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • This is one of Goldfrapp’s most intimate outings. The album is of course very beautiful, but I do find myself skipping quite a few tracks. I just feel that they’re a little drab in my opinion. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1. Alvar – This track is simple and lovely. I love the piano, or whatever that instrument is that keeps playing throughout the song. Then when she starts whispering towards the end, it kind of reminds me of “Hunt” one of my favorites off Headfirst.

2. Annabel – Haunting is what a lot of people are how a lot of people are describing this track, and I couldn’t agree more. It sounds like a sweet lullaby full of sorrow.

3. Thea – One of their more upbeat, dancey tracks on the album. I love this track, I kind of wish more of the album was like this, but I understand why it isn’t.

4. Clay – This song is one of the more Uplifting ones, I think it’s the perfect way to finish the album.

5. Drew - At first listen, this song didn’t really wow me, but after constantly watching the Short film that accompanied it, I fell in love.

6. Jo – Perfect way to open the album, I love Alison’s psychedelic voice towards the end.

7. Stranger – Stripped and bare track with a lovely Spanish guitar. I love Alison’s opening line.

Laurel, Simone, and Ulla are the tracks I usually skip unfortunately. I tried and tried to get into them, but I just couldn’t. All in all, this is probably my least favorite Goldfrapp record. =(

Hopefully with time, I can change my mind.

Post edited by jovy2000 at 2013-09-14 22:07:00
  • I don't think I've ever played a full album from start to finish so many times like I have with Tales of Us. I am so glad A+W emphasized it as an album.

I can't rate them, they're all so good, but I will say the song I dislike the most is "Thea".
    Post edited by Jo_ey at 2013-09-14 22:30:57
  • This was difficult; I bought the album a week ago so after 7 days (of listening almost non stop!) I thought I'd try and put them in favourite order. I have written a little review of the songs along with my ranking order. Apologies if I go on a little! It's interesting reading everyone's difference in opinion :)

01 CLAY  
    Probably one of my favourite ever Goldfrapp songs. I instantly loved it in Manchester and couldn't wait to hear the studio version. I can't really describe what exactly has made this my favourite song on Tales of Us; there are far too many reasons to note. The powerful and emotional vocal; the woeful yet hopeful lyrics; the celebration of something so beautifully tragic. I love the use of irony in her vocal and words, the disdain yet hope for something that never was. My boyfriend found the letter the song was inspired by and printed it out for me. I read it when I got back from buying the album and it brought a tear to our eyes! I love the ending, the crescendo in the strings; a sudden and dramatic finish, almost as if the hopeful door to an unlikely next chapter is being left open in the story. An epic ending to a fantastic album.

02 DREW 
    Within the first bar of this song I instantly feel uplifted. It's not very often we hear or see Alison open up about something possibly quite dear to her but it's clear that this song is about past experiences; enjoyed through happy memories and accompanied by a stunning video to mirror it. The double bass / cello repeated phrases move the piece along eloquently and the timpani at the end add to the grandness of the piece. A complete winner! 

03 ULLA
    Whoever mentioned that this is the perfect sequel to 'Drew' has got it spot on. The middle section of the song is beautiful; the 1st violin motif which is then repeated by the 2nd violins and then again by the viola, finally joined by the cello like little waves of overlapping melodies. Joined by Alison's doubled vocal in perfect harmony, the passing note phrases by the cello melt me every time. This mood divides me; making me feel rather sombre yet happy at the same time.

04 JO
    The only piece in 3/4 time, like a slow and slightly demented waltz. A perfect opener for the album and I remember being stunned to silence when they opened the show with it. Very Satie inspired with the use of ornaments and embellishments on the piano, sailing along. I love the circular patterned melody in the vocals of the verse and the use of pizzicato in the strings add colour to this dark piece. The serenity is captivating.

05 LAUREL
    This would fit right on 'Felt Mountain' and what a welcome return from her lower register that we are rarely treated to. Vocally similar to 'Human' and 'Pilots'; the music is very reminiscent of 'Deer Stop'. Drawn out notes that are flattened halfway through and intentionally weakened; I feel like I'm listening to something recorded over a century ago on a gramophone.  I don't remember it at all from the live shows and at the start of the week it was placed really low down in this list but every day it's creeping up. This is a slow burner that seductively engrosses me with every listen. The simplicity of using slight dissonance followed by resolution repeatedly in the chord pattern is naturally aesthetically pleasing on the ears.

06 ALVAR 
    This one somehow lost me in the lives shows yet manages to hypnotise me on the record. I was convinced it would be the one I'd eventually skip and never warm to but the more I listen the more I hear something new every time. Both simplistic and complex; elements of 'Little Bird' draw me closer the more I listen. The line 'I want to swim your silk black skin to the floor' is one of Alison's finest lyrics. The motion of a piece in 6/8 time is always very captivating as it's a stand out time signature, just like 3/4 time of 'Jo'.

07 STRANGER 
    Reminiscent of Lovely Head; I remember this fondly from the Manchester shows. Once again, the strings compliment this song, but it's the ghost-like whistling phrases answering Alison's words that make the piece what it is; mysteriously enchanting. The anonymity of the subject really sets it apart from the rest of the album.

08 SIMONE 
    Hauntingly beautiful. The slurs / glissando in her voice during the verse sound really demonic and emphasise the mood, shock and possible anger behind the story. I love the whisper of 'Simone' at the end. It makes me feel on edge; not knowing where or how the story will end.

09 ANNABEL 
    This grabs me a little less then the other 8 songs above but I still love how well the melody and the strings at the end blend together. The vocal in the last section makes this song for me and really leaves me wanting more. It may be 9th place here but I still really enjoy it and feel it'll grow over time. 

10 THEA 
    The only track that I don't get much from at this point. At this time I would rather Tales mirror the 9 track entirety of Felt Mountain with the omittance of this song but I suppose I should admire how much of a red herring Thea is (even though Oompa Radar - the Felt stand out track - is another song I don't understand). Maybe I would feel differently hearing this live; I torn as to whether I think it needs a little more production to make it more interesting. it somehow sounds halfway between wanting to be stripped back or being heavily produced and pounding -  it's a little lost! I'm bored by the time the chorus kicks in.. I'm hoping it'll grow over time but for the moment, it's definitely weaker than the other 9 songs.
  • 10 THEA 
    The only track that I don't get much from at this point. At this time I would rather Tales mirror the 9 track entirety of Felt Mountain with the omittance of this song but I suppose I should admire how much of a red herring Thea is (even though Oompa Radar - the Felt stand out track - is another song I don't understand). Maybe I would feel differently hearing this live; I torn as to whether I think it needs a little more production to make it more interesting. it somehow sounds halfway between wanting to be stripped back or being heavily produced and pounding -  it's a little lost! I'm bored by the time the chorus kicks in.. I'm hoping it'll grow over time but for the moment, it's definitely weaker than the other 9 songs.

Definitely agree with you here and I think this is the exact reason I dislike it the most out of all of the tracks!

Sucks because people were describing it as the electronic track of the album and that really got me pumped. But, it's like trying to be electronic yet trying to blend in with the rest of the album and it just, doesn't work...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!