Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 530 Comments sorted by
  • Well, you should probably take my advice with a grain of salt, then, as I think Mad Men may be the finest dramatic television series of all time.  

Fair warning about Damages -- first couple (2 or 3) seasons are very strong, but it gets ridiculously soapy and over-the-top in the later seasons.  

Are there any big UK series getting buzz this year?  I'm a sucker a for a really good British or European police procedural like Broadchurch or The Fall.  
  • Did you see Line of Duty season 1&2? Both Excellent.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • @HorseTearz Well I think there was something wrong with me when it came to Mad Men, I just couldn't connect with it, I liked it but I didn't love it, does that make sense? I thought it was beautifully made but I had no feelings for any of the characters.  

Yeah I'd been told that about Damages.  I'll see how I get on :)

I'm the worst person to ask about UK series... I don't watch any 'live' tv at all, mostly because I forget things are on and am always too busy out or watching something that passed me by on catch up tv! I think Legends is something to look out for later in the year, or so I've heard! (don't let that sway you though!) 
  • Yep, another thumbs-up here for Line of Duty. Best British drama in a long time (and slightly less grisly and depressing than The Fall).

The Returned was mentioned (originally known as Les Revenants over the channel)... which I will definitely be watching when it... returns. :-)
  • Thanks for the Line of Duty rec -- will definitely keep an eye out for that one.  

@VisualFallacy - that's me with Boardwalk Empire.  I almost always love everything HBO produces.  And, on paper, that show had everything going for it -- production (and original direction) by Martin Scorsese, a large ensemble of highly gifted and respected actors, 10s of millions spent on elaborate production designs, but I never bought Steve Buscemi as his character.  I always felt like I was watching an approximation of people, rather than getting lost in the story.  So, I totally understand what you mean when you say you couldn't get into Mad Men despite admiring the obvious care the program was made with.  Why force it?  You either connect with something or you don't, right? 
    Post edited by HorseTearz at 2014-04-11 09:42:53
  • @HorseTearz I had the same thing with Boardwalk Empire... I watched the first series, I didn't mind it once it was about 2/3 of the way through but my GOD was it slow! Amazing design and visuals I thought, but again, it just didn't happen for me.  I always hate bowing out of TV shows but nothing in this world was going to make me watch season 2 of that! 
  • Just watched Orphan Black S02E01.
    Hope the rest of the series keeps up this standard.

Tatiana Maslany's performance(s) is(are) simply amazing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Dreeke said:

Just watched Orphan Black S02E01.
    Hope the rest of the series keeps up this standard.

Tatiana Maslany's performance(s) is(are) simply amazing.

Just watching it now Dreeke on recording. They've just pulled the gun out of the flowers. No spoilers!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I'm sure there's gotta be people here who love Twin Peaks, they just announced the Blu-Ray set including 90 minutes of deleted scenes from the movie! http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/15/twin-peaks-blu-ray-box-set/
  • People who liked Twin Peaks might like Carnivale - it came out a few years ago now but available on DVD. I was hooked from the first episode. My favourite show for TV ever.
  • Has anyone else been watching Happy Valley? Happy, it is not !
    Sarah Lancashire is a cracking actress. She's come a long way since Raquel in Corrie.
    Can't wait for next weeks conclusion/showdown.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-01 17:06:56
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Loving the second Orphan Black series
  • Those of us who were/are keen on female musicians from the punk era... there is a programme on Monday (30 June) on BBC2 at 10pm which should be interesting.

The Culture Show:
    Miranda Sawyer meets up with Viv Albertine and some of the other key female figures of the era including Chrissie Hynde, The Raincoats, and punk anti-heroine Jordan to look at how they inspired a generation of young women with the notion that anyone could do anything if they wanted to. Plus she explores whether the punk spirit still survives today.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-06-26 10:37:35
  • ^ Thanks.  I've marked that in our copy of next week's Radio Times.  ("Pink Penthered it", as we say in this house, because we use a pink highlighter.)  I can't see anything much, though, in the hour between Only Connect and the Culture Show.
  • Just have to say it again: Orphan Black S02 was amazing
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2014-07-07 19:59:20

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!