Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 529 Comments sorted by
  • Ha!  May be.  But, I think he was really offended and I can't blame him, though he did go over the top.
  • Alan posts on those social media sites, and I have to say... it's all very considered & polite... mostly comments and links with photography in mind. I'm just pointing this out, as it makes his behaviour on here all the more unfathomable. For the record (ahem), I didn't approve of his "jukebox" site, but he certainly helped to promote Goldfrapp, especially stateside.
  • HJ. All us newbie's now need to know what Alan did.. If only for the sake of precedence!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ^ Hmm, I hate to seem gossippy, but you could delve into old threads and discover for yourself... so I suppose it's really just saving you time.

A (male) forum member was seduced and led on by Alan. He sent him pictures, messages, e-mails and life stories which got his trust. In return the other member sent Alan very rare Goldfrapp material which he then put on his (public) "Jukebox" webpage. He then told the other member that everything was a lie and that he is not actually single or interested in him. But not before he got a good listen to 'Tales of us'... pre-release.

Well, those are the details from the other member's perspective. Judging from Alan's subsequent (public) apologies on here... it's probably a good approximation of the truth.

I don't like to stereotype, but there was more than a little flouncing-off from both involved parties!

Oh, the other member mentioned to (some part of?) the Goldfrapp team that Alan was publicly sharing material on his jukebox-website, which he then completely closed down.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-06-18 17:25:48
  • ^ it was all very dramatic.  :O
  • H'm. I did find the 'you are old and have a small penis' cake ! You don't see them in the confectionary area of Tesco's !
  • Wow! I'd totally forgotten that whole drama. I figured it was all about Alan Bingo.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-06-18 17:51:44
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • all I know is whenever i'd visit that jukebox site, my anti-virus software started warning me about this and that...well I panicked and quickly closed my window and cleaned everything.
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• Yeah, it was his running rampant on this site that annoyed a lot of people.  There's a little history to that, also.  This site used to list the top posters by number of posts.  And, it seemed to go a little crazy, like having the most posts was some kind of special honor or something(?!?!?).  That's where bingo bango came from.  If you posted like what? 10 posts in consecutive order, it was called a bingo bango (or, maybe, it was 5?).  I feel kinda funny because I was top poster for a very long time.  I hope I didn't annoy too many people.  I certainly wasn't doing it for the title.  I was just having a lot of fun on this new site. 

I didn't even realize the back story concerning the Jukebox and all, though I knew something weird was going on with another member.
  • I missed all that drama, which was maybe lucky to me.

The core (or one core) of it seems to be about laying one's hands on rare Goldfrapp material.  I wonder what the point of that is.  It is, of course, worth owning quite a bit of Goldfrapp material, but one can legally buy more than a sufficiency of it.  Each of us has only a limited time to listen to music.  If we have huge music collections, they become more collections than music.  If we have more than 300 albums, there will definitely be things to which we listen less than once a year.  If more than 600, there will certainly be ones to which we will not listen again in the remainders of our lives.  There was a time when I used to buy bootleg albums.  (Not Goldfrapp, in fact of a band I don't even like very much any more.)  I played each of them once.  There was only one I played a second time, and that was only selected tracks on the second (and last) hearing.  What was the point in my having all that illegal material?  I'm glad that I don't have any of it any more.  I suspect that the problem of having a collection, rather than music, may be worse with digital downloads than it is with vinyl or CDs.  If we have too many physical records, we can see at a glance that it is so.  The downloads presumably lurk on hard drives, unseen and (mostly) unheard.
  • I used to have 600 albums.
  • I used to have 600 albums.

So did I.  Now I have nearer 1200 (I think).  Fully half of them I'll never play again.
  • Ah that reminds me of a documentary of the late great John Peel and his Suffolk house - his studio held an estimated 100,000 Vinyl albums and CD's. Might not mean much to you chaps across the pond bit he was a contemporary music god on these shores. Your band did make it without his approval!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • ^With 100,000 albums and CDs, it seems he must have been quite approving.  Who is he?  Critic?
  • No, music God in some peoples eyes. Now dead unfortunately.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-19 16:19:00

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!