Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Somerset House 2013 live updates (sans photos)
  • 146 Comments sorted by
  • Best Frapp gig ever for me. Made up in spades for missing out at Manchester.

New songs sounded great. Much rockier sounding than I expected and the old songs played were a fantastic collection of slower and uptempo songs. Highlight songs for me were "You'll never know", Shiny and warm, Strict machine and an amazing version of Little bird.

I also have to make a mention of the lighting which was fantastic. Whoever the designer is they need to keep him/her!
  • 'you never know' was just brilliant! ^ 
  • Best gig ever seen for me, incredible night of crazy fun.

Excellent sound, both on high and low frequencies, those strange butterfly shaped loudspeaker worked really well. 

Alison's voice: exceptional, clean like a crystal, precise like a synthesizer, powerful like a nuclear reaction (some notes was developed at one feet of distance from the microphone and was heard from us at an incredible volume level). Whistling too ... wow.

Band: full aces ! Rivers of talent coming down from the stage, and immense knowledge of the material played. Need to have Will more often on stage, in particular with the saxophone !

Special effects: smoke, lasers of many kinds, wind (even mother nature wanted to give a contribution !) , lights and the rain of little paper strips in the end. WONDERFUL !

Playlist: masterpieces after masterpieces, every emotion involved from the deepest sadness to the wildest fun. Impossible to resist !

Location: a gem of seldom beauty at the heart of one of the best city on the planet. What to desire more ?

Crowd: TOP !!! It's a pleasure to share this events with people that feel what I feel, like what I like, do what I do. Everyone lives the gig in its hown manner, there is who jumps and screams all the time and who listen with attention, there are persons of every age, coming from near and far but all there to enjoy and support the group. Great.

Lucky, I feel lucky to be there yesterday, can't wait for another night like this.

THANK GOLDFRAPP !
  • Giancarlo said:

Best gig ever seen for me, incredible night of crazy fun.

Excellent sound, both on high and low frequencies, those strange butterfly shaped loudspeaker worked really well. 

Alison's voice: exceptional, clean like a crystal, precise like a synthesizer, powerful like a nuclear reaction (some notes was developed at one feet of distance from the microphone and was heard from us at an incredible volume level). Whistling too ... wow.

Band: full aces ! Rivers of talent coming down from the stage, and immense knowledge of the material played. Need to have Will more often on stage, in particular with the saxophone !

Special effects: smoke, lasers of many kinds, wind (even mother nature wanted to give a contribution !) , lights and the rain of little paper strips in the end. WONDERFUL !

Playlist: masterpieces after masterpieces, every emotion involved from the deepest sadness to the wildest fun. Impossible to resist !

Location: a gem of seldom beauty at the heart of one of the best city on the planet. What to desire more ?

Crowd: TOP !!! It's a pleasure to share this events with people that feel what I feel, like what I like, do what I do. Everyone lives the gig in its hown manner, there is who jumps and screams all the time and who listen with attention, there are persons of every age, coming from near and far but all there to enjoy and support the group. Great.

Lucky, I feel lucky to be there yesterday, can't wait for another night like this.

THANK GOLDFRAPP !

It was lovely to see you again Giancarlo. At least this time you didn't pass out. :O

Safe trip back to Italy

Pete
    Music Junkie
  • This all sounds too good to be true!!! Thanks for all the reviews so far.

Reading them I regret even more that I wasn't given the chance to stay in the UK for one more month.... :(
    Be patient.
  • As mentioned by someone else on the Manc thread and above , each of us takes something different from a gig , after years of meetups with people from forums and going to gigs together , my take on each gig is tempered by the pre and post gig shenani-drinkies-gans and the joy of separate musicular circles fully coming together to worship at a gig (a bit too much ? Haha). Bear with me on this , um..in some ways the memories of certain songs blend together live over the years , the memories of meeting people doesn't . In a lot of ways I enjoy the meeting up and the pent up hunger for the gig more than the gig itself .

.......after saying that ......got a few black holes in my head from last night , I remember um..'showing off' at a few points , moralising that chocolate is evil and hugging people . I blame my Mrs , rather like a mix of Paddington bear and a Gremlin , when I go out , I'm supposed to have a label on saying something like 'Rule 1. Don't feed eejit any alcohol , he's a shandy drinking has-been Rule 2. Don't let him near Gregg's or a kebab shop Rule 3. Don't let eejit show off , only bad things can happen'

The gig itself , Softlad and I were split up (probably a good thing as we'd have launched a coup for control of the United State of GMB or some alcohol assisted madness) . I ended up initially in an area inhabited by a gaggle of chopsy Valley girls , it was like an MTV stage test for them . Slightly tipsy at this point , I though I was putting my beer into my combat trouser pocket but it was a woman's handbag , 'hilarity ensued' , well they laughed and I was embarrassed . The gig , ah yes , the gig , the playing of the new stuff at the beginning started more talking than Question Time and shouts of 'less new stuff' from the chavette Valley girls . After this point I shuffled forward four or five rows due to the effects of weak bladderdom of others .
    It was a great gig , aided by the spiffing weather and a cool breeze , stopping us sweating . The light show was fantastic equalling other bands I've seen with them . I thought the vocals and everything were of consistently high standards throughout , no particular song stood out as a particular 'oooh fxxxeth moi' apart from the end of Little Bird , quite blissful indeed , fuck what others think . Bladder Alarm during Train = miffed off me , ran off squealing .
    Caught sight off Keith and Ping leaving gig , caught up with them and chatted there to HB and all for a while , hugs and everything . Keith and I then crossed the road , I forgot everything that Tufty ever taught me as a kid about crossing the road and Keith very kindly stopped me from ending up as roadkill . Came up to the Wellington and caught sight of Dave B , more drinking , black hole bits in my memory here , probably bits of drunken rambling and showing off , I don't recall standing on any tables in my pants pretending to be king of Sparta , so I wasn't 100% off my trolley . The pub kicked us out and Keith very kindly got me to a tube station and worked out everything for me and pointed me in the right direction .
    I remember eating a burrito in the street , waking up half five having a set of flashbacks which were pure nightmare fuel and then waking up to my alarm at 9 .

A very very good time was had by me , my condensed version to my wife won't include the other parts I've missed out including an emergency bollocky naked shower drain unclogging I did , which was like giving CPR to a goat . Most of all and in conclusion , I enjoyed the meeting up most of all , thank you one and all , especially Softlad who shares a lot of board ethics with me and impeccable music tastes . A special shout out to Keith whose intervention on steering of me avoided having to negotiate London via '....um...I think its this way'
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I regard going to gigs as 'having an adventure' , this week with Manchester and Summy Hoose , its been a sort of Indiana Jones week (like the fourth film where Harrison was bit tired) for me . Thank you each and every one of you , I have nothing but pleasant memories of this week , bits and pieces of memories wrapped around a shared passion . Right , I've now worn out my copy of Pretentious T***s Thesaurus and Idioms , I'm off to stuff my face with free coffee and bisquits , up , up and away .

Finally , an apology to anyone I offended ....um (fingers crossed) ;)
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I literally think that was a highlight of my life. All a mess of funnest, dancy, catching up with LOVELY people, shouting at Angie, LOUD LAZERY CONFETTI FILLED JOY OF JOYS. Again please.

Black cherry = cried

Train followed by strict machine ending = nearly had heart failure.

Clay = STILL MY NEW FAVOURITE.
  • anyone got a Times subscription to copy and paste the review from last night?

• 3 Stars?! Really? Come one, what else do they want? Free booze and underfloor heating?
    Be patient.
  • Just got home after a horrendous day today... Massively hungover, missed our train back, £96 later we were on the next one and I attempted to not puke the whole way home.

That said, I'd do it all again, 100 times over, to experience that gig again! I wasn't expecting it to be bad but I thought it wouldn't come close to the experience of Manchester earlier in the week. I couldn't have been more wrong! It was absolutely incredible and never before have I felt like a 90 minute gig was more like 10 mins, it was over far too soon! The whole thing was perfect from start to finish added to that the lasers and ticker tape and it was just out of the park!!

Anyway, I'll stop spaffing off about it! Was lovely to meet everyone, old faces and new! It added to the perfect day :) hope everyone got home okay!!
  • It was absolutely incredible and never before have I felt like a 90 minute gig was more like 10 mins, it was over far too soon!

i was'nt at somerset house but i was at manchester both wednesday & thursday night's & i could'nt agree more it felt more like 10 mins long instead of 75 mins.....
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • I don't know who exactly mentioned it before, but I think (concerning all the reviews) that's exactly what makes Goldfrapp stand out from any other bands around, live or on tape. They can do intimate, emotional gigs as well as festival-dance-marathon ones, and sometimes they can even combine it to perfection!

I especially loved reading all the comments on twitter similar to:
    Nearly crying to Black Cherry just a few seconds ago, now dancing till I drop!
    Be patient.
  • short review here
  • Although it's positive, this is another example of lazy journalism.
    Mistaking Brown Paper Bag for Lovely Head...

I read another review about one of the MIF gigs where the writer talked about their previous album Head On....

~X(
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2013-07-21 12:37:03
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!