Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 129 Comments sorted by
  • I have to strongly recommend The Crown for recent English history.  It is powerful and portrays The Queen wonderfully.

It was interesting in one of the scenes with Queen Mary where she describes one of the primary purposes of the monarchy to be to represent for the people the manners and grace that can be attained (she said it much better than that).  And, I agree.  I have always that thought was one of the best characteristics of a monarchy.  It doesn't always work, many countries screw it up royally but, the two island nations, interestingly enough have done a pretty good job at it.  I don't think that all of the foolishness that goes on in America, especially in the case of government, could have existed in the presence of a respectable monarchy.
  • Regarding the quote you posted, was that by Queen Elizabeth I or II? It's a good quote.
  • I know that this will gather mixed opinions but Meghan Markle (Prince Harry's fiancee). I happen to find her a bit slap hazard with the art of public engagement. She's an actress and it comes through blatantly that she doesn't quite grasp the need to do things in a subtle manner. On one public engagement she was standing taking selfies with the general public which is a faux pas if your going to be a royal. And on another occasion she was signing autographs.

I'm not being funny here but Kate (Catherine) Middleton looks like a Queen to be and acts like one. I can take her Kate seriously but Miss American Marple/Markle- not too sure.

And am I the only one who is thinking they haven't been dating that long and its a bit of a turbo speed thibg? Considering he seemed so into Chelsea Davy and Cressida Bonas? He always went for blondes.

Yeah anyway... that's me rant for the day. :))

Post edited by serenity52 at 2018-03-01 16:16:05
  • Whose looking forward to the reign of King Charles and Quedn Camilla in the lifetime? Now that IS going to be HELL on earth!!!

I'd actually like Charles to abdicate and give the throne over to William and Kate. They are fresh, youngish, and vibrant which is what we need. Not big ears and cruella de vil.
  • That's the thing, isn't it?  Kate might actually end up being Queen  It doesn't seem Miss Marple really would.  So, no worries, right?  William and Kate would be brilliant.  So, I guess an American could be queen.  That would be disappointing.
  • About time the Royals had someone with a bit of spunk in them ( not a joke - no, really)
    Taking selfies and signing autographs may be not usual Royal etiquette but it's the 21st century and the Royals need to get in it to remain contemporary and not an anachronism.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I liked the way they explained it in The Crown.  English rule is about efficiency and dignity.  The government is about the efficiency and the Monarchy is about the dignity.
  • The point isn't about Meghan being an American. It's about her in general. She seems a bit airy fairy to me. I just think that The Royal Family are not The Kardashians. Two different poles apart. Yes the monarchy is about keeping a dignified humbled look. I guess the words we are looking for is prim and proper?
  • I thought Prince Harry was the spunk?!?!?! He's the bad boy. \m/
  • Whickwithy you do know spunk is a slang word for something sticky and white

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I'M SO GOING TO GET BANNED NOW.

• just think that The Royal Family are not The Kardashians.  I guess the words we are looking for is prim and proper?

Exactly.  Kardashian, American.  Meh.

Yes!  Prim and proper, though I would suggest poise and elegance.

Hahaha!  No, I did not know spunk was used for that slang.  Cute.
  • There's nothing cute about spunk m'lord. It has one use and one use only I'm afraid.
  • Hahaha!  Could you clarify??  JK
  • I've never understood why the use American actors for English or vice versa but, I gotta say, John Lithgow does a great Churchill.

So, I checked wiki just to make sure he was American and ran across this quote of his (Lithgow, not Churchill).  Love it.  It is soooo accurate.

"Time sneaks up on you like a windshield on a bug."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!